Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2005, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

A tipping question?

No, this isn't about cow tipping you cheeseheads.

Seriously, if I call in a food order from a moderately priced, pretty nice restaurant, that isn't a 'carry-out' restaurant per se, am I supposed to tip the person that gives me my food? If so, how much? It's usually a waitress that handles the order so I assume I should give something, but I can't imagine it being in the 15-20% range, correct?

Chris
Old 02/22/2005, 10:35 PM
Moved In

I tip 20%, Dan's cheap tho. I've told servers that it would be in their best interest to give me the bill!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/22/2005, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Even if it's to go?
Old 02/22/2005, 10:38 PM
Moved In

I do! Dan's a $2 guy!

Old 02/22/2005, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

OK, so I'm about midway between you and your husband, I usually give 10% just because there is not as much work to do.
Old 02/22/2005, 10:53 PM
Moved In

I'm sure they appreciate any tip. A lot don't tip. I don't think Dan used to, and he doesn't really care about my opinion. Funny thing is when I buy and put in a good tip he doesn't really care. It's all the same money!

Old 02/23/2005, 12:32 AM
Over budget Reefer

I consider myself to be a very good tipper. how did I come to that conclusion? I reward good service

I will tip 25-30% IF the service is great
10-15% if it is OK
0% if the service is bad

my wife hates this and has been known to say she will meet me at the car, so I wont see her slip a tip on the table.

Bad service is my pet peeve.

buffets you should tip (especially when they fill your drinks and refill them)
pick up orders - no tip! no service was given, do you tip the McDonalds cashier?

Allen
Old 02/23/2005, 02:43 AM
Jer

on a related note that's been bothering me, do you tip the carhop at sonic's?
Old 02/23/2005, 03:00 AM
joke killer

I do when I go. But then again I don't go very often. I have found myself leaving up to 50% tips when the service is very good. But then again I don't got to very fancy places. Somthing about not having a steady income keeps me from spending a lot of money.
Old 02/23/2005, 03:03 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I work with another supervisor who also delivers papers after work for a couple of hours every night. He thinks that paper delivery boys, men, women should get a tip at Thanksgiving and X-mas and every month for that matter. He has told me how much money he makes delivering papers during any given week which in no way shape or form is anywhere near minimum wage. Multiply minimum by 2 or 3 and that is what he makes per hour delivering papers. I told him there is no way I will ever tip a paper carrier. They don't work for minimum wage, they don't rely on tips like waitresses or cooks do and they are doing what they are paid to do-deliver papers. I told him that waitresses are paid minimum at the most and they rely on tips and gratuities to make their living so I am more than happy to tip at least 15% to waitresses/waiters for good service. More for better service but not for pick up. I will tip drivers that deliver though.
Old 02/23/2005, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

As a server when I handle a to go order the sales still go to my end of the night sales that I have to claim. So you should tip for a carry out order. Other wise I'm paying the taxes foir you to pick up your food.
Old 02/23/2005, 03:21 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Sounds fair.
Old 02/23/2005, 04:07 AM
Jer

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
Other wise I'm paying the taxes foir you to pick up your food.
yes, but you only claim credit card orders, no?
Old 02/23/2005, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aLittletank
pick up orders - no tip! no service was given, do you tip the McDonalds cashier?
Allen [/B]
Waitress minimum wage is $2.13/hr, McDonald's is at least $5.85
That server is taking his/her time to get your order and make sure it is right. Time she COULD be spending on tipping customers! Maybe you should tip, especially if you're a repeat customer.

Freed,
My husband cleaned pools for awhile, and he made about $700 in Christmas tips. I have regular customers too, and I made about that much too. And we were just doing our jobs! We tipped our FedEx guy because he was always happy, curious, and gave our dog treats. Holiday tipping is a friendly gesture saying thanks for the great work.

Loyalty,
And no, not all servers declare credit card tips only. Legally, a server must declare cash tips too. I declare 100%.
Old 02/23/2005, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
As a server when I handle a to go order the sales still go to my end of the night sales that I have to claim. So you should tip for a carry out order. Other wise I'm paying the taxes foir you to pick up your food.
What % do you expect for carry out orders?
Old 02/23/2005, 10:05 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I'm just doing my job being a supervisor. Do I expect tips? No. Does anyone give me tips? Big fattie no.
Old 02/23/2005, 10:15 AM
Just say no to DSB

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
So you have to claim a tip if none is given??? Unless you own the restaurant , how are you personally responsible for sales tax? If someone eats in the restaurant and does not leave a tip, do you still have to claim one? I have never worked in a restaurant and don't see how this works.

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 02/23/2005, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I was a server for 5 years and i NEVER expected a tip when i did to go orders. Let be real here. What do you really do? Stand at a computer push a few buttons, wait for it to come out, stick it in a bag and bring it out. Should be part of your job. I think the 2.13 sucks but you don't have to work there. There are alot of hidden crap servers have to do but togo is not hard.

If you want to tip , then it is really nice to do so, i would think any amount would be great but don't feel like you have too. It's part of their job.
Old 02/23/2005, 10:34 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
I dunno - I tip to go if it is a nice place and if it is someplace I frequent - I figure someone had to prepare the food for me.
Old 02/23/2005, 10:51 AM
Moved In

Most tickets are electronic anymore. The server's name is on the ticket, and will be required to declare a certain percentage as income. Sometime they come out ahead and sometimes they don't.

Old 02/23/2005, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Someone does, but not the server, The cook. You think that server runs back and give it to the cook.

It is a very nice jesture to tip for togo.
Old 02/23/2005, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

i start out tipping 20% but that goes down for every error that happens after I sit down. my glass is empty -1% my food is cold -1% rudeness -1% and so on. I really think they should get minimum wage so we are not forced to tip bad servers. Cause if your with a group no one is going to let you get away with not tipping. With minimum wage you can tip the good servers. and smirk at the bad servers.
Old 02/23/2005, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

No I would never tip on a to go order. What service is being provided? If I spent $30 (which seems to be the norm for my family) on an order that would mean an additional $4.50 - $6.00 for someone walking from the kitchen to the counter. If someone did $5 per tip and 5 orders per hour that is $25 per hour meaning $50,000 per year working 40 per week. Would that person deserve that much? No.
In a normal situation, I will tip 20% or more for good to great serive and less for bad.

I asked my 3 year old daughter who wore man panties and she replied, "Superman!" Think about it.
Old 02/23/2005, 11:19 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Poone
No I would never tip on a to go order. What service is being provided? If I spent $30 (which seems to be the norm for my family) on an order that would mean an additional $4.50 - $6.00 for someone walking from the kitchen to the counter. If someone did $5 per tip and 5 orders per hour that is $25 per hour meaning $50,000 per year working 40 per week. Would that person deserve that much? No.
In a normal situation, I will tip 20% or more for good to great serive and less for bad.
If their name is on the ticket, they will be taxed for a tip, whether you give it to them or not. There are restaurants that do it all automatically.

Old 02/23/2005, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

I tip for a to-go order at a pizza place we're regulars at. Not 20%, but a buck or two depending on what the order is. For that, I'm remembered. I've been given free pizzas, discounted prices, etc. They have great food, we enjoy eating there, and they value us as customers. It's a win-win situation.

The only time in memory I didn't tip was when a waitress at a club was a total snot. She did not give a friend back some change, said it was "her tip." I talked to the manager that night, we all left, and several followed up with him the next day. That was completely out of line for her to pull that.