Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/09/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

plumbing over a door

I am trying to figure out how to set up a remote sump. Both the tank, and the sump are in the basement.

The trick... is that there are doors on the wall on both sides of the tank. I can't plumb into the floor... it's concrete.

So, if both the tank and the sump are open systems... how can I get the plumbing over the door?

The only thing I can imagine is having the sump above the tank and above the door, to return water by gravity to the tank.

Any other ideas?

Ryan.
Old 07/09/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

How about straight through the wall?
Old 07/09/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

how about plumb it on one side of the and over yhen down the other side of the door (upside down u) and use a large pump to compensate for the extra head.
Old 07/10/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Sorry for double post this is what i meant to say before it was submitted

how about plumb it on one side of the door and over the header and down the other side of the door (upside down u) and use a large pump to compensate for the extra head.
Old 07/10/2007, 12:06 AM
Team RC Member

Drill a hole in the floor above and put the tank upstairs?

Honestly, if I'm visualizing what I think you're saying, through the wall is a good solution, if you just have your sump on a lower stand than the tank.

With a similar problem, but between floors, I used hose as a way of not having any right angles----took it down a floor and over through a wall, then to the sump.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/10/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Plumb ON the floor... Build a cover for it (so the plumbing doesn't get screwed with if someone steps on it). Bassically build a rectangular frame out of 2x4's (position them vertically), the width of the doorway, cover with plywood and whatever else you want, then drill holes in the sides to run the pipes through.

If this isn't an option, you can accomplish the drain line via a siphon system, but this would be prone to failure.

Purple people eaters are racist.

Last edited by three-spot; 07/10/2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07/11/2007, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

Question

I will try to post some pics.

I can go into the wall / celing and hide the pipes. That is no problem. The hitch is going over the door. If one line is gravity fed... I would need a siphon system to move the water over that door. Basically, a giant siphon box that spans a fifteen foot distance. Definitely prone to failure. I was hoping someone would tell me there was a dual pump system out there that could exactly match gph between two pumps, with water level detectors for backup, and it would never fail and I could just pump the water both ways.

The upside down U idea is fine, but, I don't think I can plumb along the floor without creating a trip for people walking. It is a tight walking situation near a staircase. Raising the whole floor would be necessary to hide the pipe on the floor.

The unfinished portion of my basement (where the equipment will go) is actually about three feet higher than the room where the tank is. Since it is easier for me to hide pipes in the celing and walls, I am thinking about putting the sump higher than the tank, and higher than the top of the door. This allows a return line with a downward angle to the tank.

This will put the sump at neck level for me. I would then run parallel circuits to another sump / refugium at a more appropriate height. (so it is easy to work with).

The final piece would be figuring out how to return water by gravity to the tank without generating noise and toilet flushing sounds or microbubbles. I am thinking a about a third sump, under the tank, to run simply as a bubble trap.

Thanks for the input so far!

Ryan.
Old 07/11/2007, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Pictures or diagrams would help illustrate what you are thinking. I don't quite get it yet.
Old 07/11/2007, 09:08 AM
Team RC Member

I'm beginning to get the picture, but I don't think 2 pumps are going to synch. What about gravity fall from the tank to a preliminary sump, then a closed loop pumping out to a larger sump, refugium, all the gear and clutter on the other side of the wall and back again.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/11/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

I am considering that. That whole apparatus would have to be sealed water tight and pressure proof. Like a modular cannister filter.

A skimmer and fuge would probably need to go in the sump below the tank (they need to be open).

RGM
Old 07/12/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Your idea up above sounds sound to me, as far as the physics goes. But you would need a switch to turn the lower pump off if the upper pump quit. Though if the "sump" is up high it may be hard to work with.