Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

flatworm exit??? does it work?

flatworm exit??? does it work? or is there a better product to get rid of flatworms.

I don't have alot of these flatworms actually I only notice a few on my frogspawn coral... Can I just dip the coral or should I treat the whole tank? any other products out there better that the salifer exit stuff? need help and I'm new here so this is my first post ever. Thanks and I've heard that this is a great place to talk about corals. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 12/10/2007, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Flatworm exit works great. You must follow the directions just like it says though. Minutes after adding flatworm exit you can see the flatworms starting to die. I havent used anything else for flatworms, as for weither or not to just dip, I would treat the whole tank because there are probley many more that you dont see.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

I'll second that - it works great. I've never used it with SPS though, so can't give you any guarantees there.

The problem with it is that it kills them so well, that if you have a lot of flatworms, the toxins they release upon death can really screw up your tank.

If you have some on your FS, then expect them to be elsewhere in the tank too.

Siphon as many out as you can with small tubing (1/2" airline works perfect) or with a turkey baster. Then once you have all the visible ones removed, you can start dosing. Have fresh carbon on-hand to deal with the toxins after dosing.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

THANKS GUYS... I'll do that. anyone know if the exit actually kills any other animals/worms? like brisstles ect? thanks
Old 12/10/2007, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Its safe to everything but flatworms.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/11/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

I haven't had a flatworm problem but I use flatworm exit to dip my zoos. Miguel at Fraggle Reef told me about using it for nudis and other pests and when I dipped my zoos I saw a whole bunch of stuff fall off, none of which were flatworms.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Flatworm exit works great, just follow the directions to the tee. I overdid the carbon and water change and the whole process was simple and affective.

Flatworm exit will not kill acropora eating flat worms. just so you know

-Matthew
Old 12/11/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

flatworm exit

Thanks for the advice! I have flatworms on my frogspawn, too.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

flatworm exit is now on its way and I can't wait to zap these buggers real soon thank you guys!
Old 12/14/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

NSFF=Not Safe For Flatworms

the stuff works great
Old 12/14/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

ok did it but I have to say that I had to use 200 drops which is twice the number of drops for the gallons of watr in my system... was my med. perhaps diluted? or simply old and ineffective? They did die but only after I usd the whole dropper bottle. thanks
Old 12/14/2007, 08:02 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

yeah i have a 120 and only got two doses out of one bottle.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

i ONLY GOT ONE DOES
Old 12/17/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

a friend of mine used it in his 150gal and shortly after his corals started to die...come to find out the flatworms release a toxin when they die and if you dont syphon them out prior to using it and after using it the toxin they release can kill corals but in other words it works!!
Old 12/18/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Where did you purchase your? Is $16 about what you should expect to pay?
Old 12/19/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

i just did a fresh water dip yesterday nite to my new frogspawn whole lot of flat worms droped , shocked to see so many why dont u try fw dip its so cheap and very effective i wish i took pictures yesterday
Old 12/20/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Will it work on acoel worms, instead of Planaria, listed on the box?
Old 12/20/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone tried adding Six Line Wrasses, Leopard Wrasses, Target Mandarins or Blue Damsels. I guess they are supposed to eat the flat worms. I woul like to try one of those first but only if it would work.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

i tried a sixline wrasse, didn't work, flatworm exit worked great. freshwater dips only work on coral but you need to treat the rock in your tank too.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

Post pictures of the flatworms, for which FWExit worked, please.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

For the people that said they had to dose double the recommended amount, did your tank already have carbon or similar chemical media in the filters? This could be why it didn't seem as effective. Also, if you have multiple tanks connected to your display (sumps, fuges,etc..) then the water content of those would need to be included in the total, unless the pumps for those tanks were turned off.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

I havent had to try the new Flat Worm Exit since my last infestation. sounds good. but when i had a red planaria problem in one tank, I ended up doing a fresh water flush to rid them. I dipped each coral frag and rock for 20-30 seconds and then placed them in a tub of NSW with heater and air stone. then when the tank was empty of corals, i drained it to the sandbed, and refilled it with RO water for about 10 minutes, recircicing the sump too. then drained the fresh water off and refilled with new salt water, and replaced the corals, rock and frags.

no problem since. the FW fill didnt seem to harm most of the worms and stuff in the sand bed. long as they were underneath. and the quick FW dip didnt harm the corals. the Red Planaria seem to all die in a 20-30 second dip of fresh water.

A whole, tank safe treatment would have been a lot easier. but EXIT just wasn't invented yet then. Can't speak for EXIT, but a quick fresh water dip worked for me. under controlled conditions.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

People, surely you have a photos - post them.
I had read, then frequently in the tanks is not a red planaria, but similarly looking acoel worms, who are not even relatives.
Bought Flarworm Exit, but box was marked for planaria. So didn't used yet.
Help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

i dont have any pictures but if they look like little red scales all over the rocks corals and glass(thats how bad my friends tank was anyway) then flatworm exit should work...here are a few pictures i found of them online

Old 12/28/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, most kind of you!
Precisely like mine - anybody tried Flatworm Exit on them? Is it working?