Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/16/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

I'm not getting a Canon (have to change name)

I've narrowed to the d200 and d80. I'm selling/trading in the d100. Is the only big difference between the 2 its candy coated shell?

Plastic vs. metal....that is.
Old 02/16/2007, 11:33 AM
Awesome One

I'm getting ready to make the same decision... the D50 isn't cutting it anymore for me.
Do you have any older lenses? If you do then the D200 would probably be your choice. I know the 200 also has more weatherproofing than the D80 has (supposably). There are also a few other things like mirror lock up that i'm not really sure what it is/does but sounds interesting. One thing... If I were you I would wait till after PMA (early March) to see if anything new is coming out such as a D200s. Check out dpreview.com for more photography junk.
Old 02/16/2007, 01:50 PM
Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by theishkid
I'm getting ready to make the same decision... the D50 isn't cutting it anymore for me.
I would love to hear what you are missing from the D50. I love my D50, but do believe that someday I'll be wanting more. The only things I can say now is....

1. Depth of Field Preview - press the button halfway and you can see what depth of field is going to really do to the pic (D50 no have it, D80/D200 does)

2. Megapixel Envy - My D50 is a 6MP camera (I think) which means I can print at high quality to a bit larger then 8x10 print. Of course, something can be printed bigger and still look good when you stand a little back like you would when looking at a bigger picture. But I would truly like something with about double the megapixels someday (which means 4x, technically) or so. So someday I'd love to maybe have a 18-20 Megapixel big brother of the D80 or something...

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 02/16/2007, 01:52 PM
Reef Fanatic

Re: I'm not getting a Canon (have to change name)

Quote:
Originally posted by NikonNurse
I've narrowed to the d200 and d80. I'm selling/trading in the d100. Is the only big difference between the 2 its candy coated shell?

Plastic vs. metal....that is.
I would absolutely get the D80 over the D200. The algorithms for processing pics, etc, are much more up to date and improved in the newer Nikons (D80, D50, D70s, etc). I think, for the most part, you would simply be spending a lot more money for the D200. That's just me, so...

Old 02/16/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

What does anyone think about the D40? I was just looking at the D40 and adding the micro lense.

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD
Old 02/16/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

I went to Epperson this am and fondled the 200. It is sturdier. If I was doing the professional stuff that I used to...I think the 200 would be better (mirror lock up, etc)...I used to not like all the 'modes' that came with a camera (like the CoolPix)..but apparently the d80 took that and went nuts and improved the settings associated with these. There are apparently built in filters and some other Photoshop-type stuff already in the 80. I just dont want to spend the extra money on the 200 for just a few extra things.... Oh well...thanks everyone.
Old 02/16/2007, 02:41 PM
Reef Fanatic

I am pretty certain the D80 has mirror lock-up capability. I think even my D50 can do that. :>

Old 02/16/2007, 02:43 PM
Reef Fanatic

You might be interested in reading some of my comments on lenses, etc, over in this thread. I am by no means an expert, but have been wondering through the million choices we have for our cameras for about 18 months or so now...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1046884

Old 02/16/2007, 05:02 PM
Awesome One

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
I would love to hear what you are missing from the D50. I love my D50, but do believe that someday I'll be wanting more. The only things I can say now is....
The main feature I am missing that is a MUST HAVE for me because I do a LOT of night photography is a top back-lit LCD to see what my settings are. I just can't stand looking through the viewfinder to find my settings.

Another feature is the flash commander mode... I bought the sb800 in case I ever upgraded so I could use this feature... I could do some really cool things with this.

I want a lower ISO rating (100). I already shoot everything in 200 but would be nice to go down even more.

More spots for spot metering (fine tuning my images)

Larger LCD screen

Ability to add battery grip

5 FPS would be really really nice but is a D200 feature only.

I would also really love to have timelapse recording which is another D200 feature only.

And finally probably the most important feature for me which is making the D200 look very delicious... not having all the auto modes. Or as I like to call them... the "No you can't borrow my camera brother... you don't know how to work it. There is no AUTO setting!"

One last plus is that I have heard there is a lot better weather proofing on the D200 which is nice because I'm going to start chasing storms... I've been trying to get lightning but I always have to run inside at the first sprinkle with my D50.

The pixel count really doesn't bother me that much... I've got a large format printer at work with nice rip software and the 6mp has created some really really great 2' x 3' prints.

So that's where I am right now... stuck between the D80 and the D200... A few more features of the 200 but a bit more expensive as well... I can say one thing for sure, if a D200s comes out at PMA next month I'll be jumping on that.
Old 02/16/2007, 06:12 PM
Reef Fanatic

Thanks for the comments, Brad! Now you are making ME want the D80 more. I love the backlit top display - that would be so useful. And the same for the larger display, more focus points, and your other thoughts....

Someday, perhaps.

I am REALLY glad to hear that you have gotten really good 2 ft x 3 ft prints from D50 pics. I really haven't tried to go up that big and wasn't sure how well that would turn out. Woohoo!

I need to print some pics, I think.

Old 02/16/2007, 06:19 PM
Awesome One

We can do 2' x 3' glossy paper prints for $60
Old 02/16/2007, 06:30 PM
Reef Fanatic

Is glossy usually a better idea then a matte finish?

Old 02/17/2007, 02:13 AM
Awesome One

It's more of a semi gloss actually, and there's not really a better idea it's just user preference. Semi gloss paper is the only "paper" that we carry but we also have Glossy or Matte Vinyl that prints look really nice on too. It's the same as the paper only it's like a giant sticker.
Old 02/17/2007, 05:19 AM
Premium Member

Stay with the Nikon! I like mine (ok, the wife's). She's looking at adding either a D200 with software update that pretty well makes it compairable to a D2x, or a D2x. Although, waiting to see it the rumors are true about a D3 line to be announced.
The 'ol D1x is still taking great photo's though.
Old 02/17/2007, 12:19 PM
Reef Fanatic

I betcha the D3 rumors are true.

Old 02/17/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I did it...just got back from Epperson...traded in a bunch of equipment and bought a 200 and a s800....I put a card in and shot off a zillion shots in about 10 seconds...that sold me...plus the weather proofing..the flash commander and the wireless....I got sucked in......
Old 02/17/2007, 05:49 PM
Reef Fanatic

Better bring it to the meeting tonight!!!

Old 02/17/2007, 05:50 PM
TOTM October 2007

i have a couple of old SLRs I really need to do something with. A canon AE1-P and a Minolta 7000. Is there any value in these at all.

--anyone know?

edit: just checked ebay, the minolta is around $50 and the canon with 70-210 zoom and the stock 50mm is around the same.

if anyones interested in a film camera, let me know.

P.