Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

Best place to buy a mantis

Had one a long time ago....it came in on some live rock.....have not been able to find any since....any suggestions?
Old 06/30/2007, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

N wennerae from tampabaysaltwater.com for 50$ including shipping. Good mantis, about 3" long, can be kept in a 5 gallon.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 06/30/2007, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

Thanks alot I will give them a try.

Steve
Old 06/30/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Sea Life Inc

I just got a mantis from Sea Life Inc. Extermely pleased with the size, health, packaging, shipping. I could not ask for a better experience...check it out at:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/produc...roducts_id=216

Shipping was only $27 for overnight FedEx, which you can't beat especially if you order other things...same shipping.

I highly recommend this place.
Old 06/30/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

i wouldn't recommend a O havensis. They prefer tanks at lest 20 gals and are very sensitive to xygen levels. They have been kiled by just stirring the sand! N. wnnere are a personable mantis that are small, very hardy and easy to keep. O. havensis is from what I hear more personable, generally nicer, but are much more sensitive.

Dan

-Kennpachi
Old 06/30/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I contacted Sea Life Inc and they have mantises besides O. Havanesis that they haven't identified, probably mostly N. Wennerae. You can order from them.
Old 07/01/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Honestly I have never ordered a mantis online. I have gotten all but one from LFS's. The one I didn't get at the LFS I got from a fellow keeper. The more contact your LFS has with their wholesaler (I mean do they actually talk to them or just fax them an order sheet) the better the chances they will be able to get what you want. I have one LFS I deal with that will check his list the moment I let him know I am looking for something, and if its not on the list or its a few days old, he will call the wholesaler to see if they have something that isn't on the sheet, and or if it's still avalible.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 07/01/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Either way it is a beutiful mantis....what do you mean by sensitive to oxygen levels...to much to little? seems like a good price they are very cool creatures to watch. Thanks for all your help.

steve
Old 07/01/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

By sensitive to oxygen level I mean you need constant high levels of oxygen. Like constant water movement and stirring up the sand (limiting the amount of oxygen that can be absorbed into the water) has been known to kill them, and they are probably more sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and other "volotile organic substances" as they are called. If you think you can handle it, go for it, but they can die more easily than an N. wennerae. But they do survive shipping, so they can't be THAT bad lol.

Dan

-Kennpachi