Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

High Ph

I recently set up a 30 gallon pure reef tank which is fully cycled. Have been treating the tank with a calcium supplement(Liquid Reactor by Kent) to raise my Calc which has been dreadfully low at 330 as of last night. Alq is at 9+. Tested the Ph last night and it read a whopping 8.6 with a new AP test kit. Re-tested it again with Salifert and it read the same.

What might be the cause of this and how can I bring down the PH which was tested after having the Halide on for only 2 hours. Could be CO2 as the basement has no ventilation due to winter cold? Recomendation??
Thanks Mates
Old 12/06/2007, 07:53 PM
RC Mod

Carbon dioxide will lower pH, not raise it. Most high pH problems are caused by additives or photosynthesis. This article goes over the details:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

FWIW, the Liquid Reactor is effectively fine sand, and isn't useful as a supplement:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2002/chem.htm

Is anything else being added to the tank?
Old 12/07/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Jonathan, in response to your query, I did add previously a PH additive which was supposed to bring the PH "up" to 8.3 as it had been low.
Obviously, this supplement overshot its mark.
As of last night, PH had come down to 8.5 but Calci s still low at 360 for a small reef. Alk at 10.
Should I leave the Calc alone until I have thr PH under control and if so, what would I do to lower the PH.
Thanks Jon. Always appreciate your sage counsel.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

suggest you use kent turbo calcium boost to raise the calcium to around 400(doesn't have a big impact on alk levels)
At this point look into using b-ionics two part--very easy to use and will bring stability to your alk and calcium levels. The 10 dkH level is a nice level to stabilize at.

by far pH is affected by low co2 levels in and around the trank.
You have no windows in the basement--is it possible to run an air line from your skimmer to the outside? eg might be room between a gas pipe or airconditioning pipe to squeese an air line through the same hole.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Capt.

Bought the 2 part B-Ionics at Lunch time today. Was planning to start the home made 2 part solution but after reading here that some of the ingredients may now be in question(as to composition), I have decided to take the easy route and start B-Ionic tonight.

Thanks much
Old 12/07/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grouper25
Thanks Capt.

Bought the 2 part B-Ionics at Lunch time today. Was planning to start the home made 2 part solution but after reading here that some of the ingredients may now be in question(as to composition), I have decided to take the easy route and start B-Ionic tonight.

Thanks much
your welcome-----did you buy the the pre mixed or the concentrated that you add r/0 water too--its a least a third cheaper. I pay (up here)--34 dollars for 900 ml of the two
Old 12/07/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I just bought the pre-mixed in the 32 oz containers. Lets hope this works. I need to get on a regimen where this does not turn into rocket science each and every night. I would like to just dose, be done and have a beer admiring my sea-scape.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12/07/2007, 05:00 PM
RC Mod

I used B-Ionic for years, and it worked well for me. Hopefully, it'll work well for you, too.