Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Do peppermint shrimps go after bta??

Hey...guys!

I've heard stories about peppermint shrimps killing and eating anemone before, which worries me cause i just bought an intense hot pink bta over the weekend for $$$, and it's the most priced coral in my tank, so the questions are how many of u have lost an anemone to peppermint shrimp? what are my chances
that it will leave it alone unharmed? what shrimp will eat and kill peppermint shrimp for sure and without touching the corals? And how long do i got before the shrimp starts doing something?

thanks
Old 02/27/2007, 10:04 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

hmmm...

Don't know where you heard it from but I had/have 2 fairly large Pep's in the tank with 3 RBTA's. Never have they bothered it.... they WILL kill/eat aptasia though which is a small bothersom pest type anenome ?.

I will be more weary of cleaner shrimp digging into the mouth of an anemone after feeding than anything else.
Old 02/27/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

I had two GBTAs that were getting pretty big in my tank (occupied the right half of my 12g tank) along with a pair of Ocellaris Clowns and a Fire Shrimp. The FS was pretty brave and always wandered around the whole tank (not exactly a lot of real estate in a 12 gallon tank). One day, the FS disappeared. No shell, no antenna, no nothing! Can't say what happened but I'm guessing... Anemone food!
Old 02/27/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

I had a peppermint rip into my frog spawn right after introduction. A lot of people didn't believe it, but I watched with my own eyes and it wasn't simply just stealing food, it down right ripped out some of the tentacles and ate a few. I was going to remove the frog spawn but the epoxy was set. I guess the peppermint didn't like the taste as it has never gone after it since (doesn't even bother it when I feed).

give it a shot and get the bottle trap ready on the 5% chance!

Cheers,

Josh
Old 02/28/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

i have peppermint shrimp and bta's in my tank for a quick bit, never a problem with me, though i know people have had mixed experiences with peppermints (as well as other cleaner shrimp) with variety of corals/anemones, though seems pretty uncommon..

like josh said, try it out, but be ready to move bta into sump or qt in tank temporarily until you can get out the peppermint shrimp if it becomes a problem..
Old 02/28/2007, 01:21 AM
Turning of the tide

I have seen peppermints pulling at the ends of rbtas tentacles before - it obviously disrupted the serenity of the anemone, buyt to the best of my knowledge never did any permanent damage.
Old 02/28/2007, 01:22 AM
Turning of the tide

ends meaning tips, looked like pulling a thin thread out - kinda like spider web - almost invisible but it was definitely on the hunt for food.
Old 02/28/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

In my experience they are nasty creatures. They were relentles about pulling food out of my anemones mouths killing snails etc. i am not a big fan of anything with claws in my tank.
Old 02/28/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Well... it's been three days and so far so good, my pink bta has never moved once, it stays at the same spot on the live rock it came with, it's very healthy and happy. I'll definatily keep an eye out on the peppermint shrimp and keep my fingers cross for the days to come.
Old 03/01/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Pink BTA?
Old 03/08/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

BTA and Peppermint attack trouble!

Just picked up a rose BTA today and after introduction kept tabs on the tank. All seemed fine for several hours. The BTA inflated and seemed very happy right off the bat! Then all at once it turned ugly! I have three Peppermint shrimp, all recently well fed, and it was like gang warfare! The weasels were pulling food out of its mouth, and going at tenticles, and once it balled up even going at the stalk membrane!

I captured the two largest and most aggressive ones (I think the smaller one got its fill and went off to digest) and ditched them in another tank. I have that little one left in there and he's not hungry enough to get trapped. Yet! I have hopes the remaining lone shrimp will layoff without the others to stir him up or lead the charge.

Anyone experience anything like this? The BTA was not cheap, but the shimp (relatively) were! I'll boot the shrimp permanently if needed, but I would love to hear if anyone has info on this sort of situation.

Thanks!
~Oyinbo