Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

AGA Megaflows. To plug or not to plug?

I'm still in the planning stages of my 120g, but I was wondering about the 'slits' in the AGA Megaflow overflows. I don't want to hotlink someone else's image, but you can see a picture of what I'm talking about here if you haven't seen them before.

Basically, it's designed to draw water from three levels in the aquarium but I'm concerned that this might impede surface skimming if there is less water draining over the top of the overflow:

So, should these be sealed up or not sealed? I'll be using the durso-style standpipes so accidentally draining the tank is not a concern.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:27 PM
Nothing to put here

They don't impede surface skimming. If you are going to worry about anything, worry about them being big black ugly eyesores in the middle of your tank that you can't scrape algae off of.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

My plan is to aquascape two 'pyramids' of rock around them to help hide them.

Unfortunately it's harder and more expensive to get custom tanks here in Canada. A reputable custom builder would run about $1,250 just for a tank with a starphire front and two corner overflows, let alone a Calfo or something like that. The AGA was economical, and they have a good reputation, so that's the way I went.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:48 PM
Killer of Giants

I think you'll be fine especially if you work them into the aquascape. I would just leave them stock. In my old tank, once it became covered in coralline, I didn't mind it at all.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Sounds good. I'll leave them as is then.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

You know what, I'm an idiot.

I just realized now, looking at the illustration, that there is a double wall in the overflow. In my brain, I was worried that if I ever had to remove the Dursos, that the tank might drain out from the lower inlets in the Megaflow.

Apparently I need to drink less. Or more. Whatever.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

I would suggest getting the 120 and then drilling it your self or taking it to a glass shop and getting it drilled... I don't like the mega overflows they are only rated for 600gpa. and they take up a lot of space if you punch a standard 2.5 inch hole you will increase that up 2 900gpa, I would drill 2 holes in the tank that way if one clogs you will have no issues.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

I appreciate the advice, but the tank is already in my basement, so that's not an option.

I know a lot of people aren't keen on the Megaflows but I don't really see the issue in a 24" deep tank. I would hate them in the 75g or 90g, but the 120g has enough room to accmodate them, I think. There are also 2 of them in the 120g, so it's rated for 1200gph total, and less concern about one clogging.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Each overflow is rated 600 gph. 1200 gph total. Your tank is 120g. 1200/120= 10X through the sump. I believe optimal is 5X.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

It will only overflow what the return pump can provide though. I'm using an Eheim 1262, so it will return ~800gph or so. Flow through the sump should be fine.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sniggir
I would suggest getting the 120 and then drilling it your self or taking it to a glass shop and getting it drilled... I don't like the mega overflows they are only rated for 600gpa. and they take up a lot of space if you punch a standard 2.5 inch hole you will increase that up 2 900gpa, I would drill 2 holes in the tank that way if one clogs you will have no issues.
Im sorry, that was in response to the above.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

No problem.