Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Picasso Clown... Is he strange?

Hey Folks,

Frequent browser, seldom poster... :-)

A few months ago I was looking for a partner for my Percula and my local stores were coming up blank on true Perculas for over a month (very odd). One of the owners mentioned he was going up to San Francisco to nab some fish from a fresh shipment to a distributor and that I should come back later in the evening to check out his finds...

When I got there he had five Perculas he was calling Picasso Clowns (I had never heard of them before) and they seemed interesting enough. He ends up letting me nab one, still in bag, for $20 and I take him home. He adjusts well enough and INSTANTLY paired with my other Percula, so life is good. It's months later and they are happy and well, and he is maturing and gaining quite a bit of black coloring.

So here is my question... I occasionally browse around and look at pictures of Picassos and other mis-barred clowns, but have NEVER seen anything like him. Take a look at the pics here and tell me if you've ever seen another like him. It's the circular marks that really make him unique.

Thanks all! I love RC and seem to always find my answers to the toughest questions here...
~O

BTW... His name is "Pablo." :-)
Old 12/16/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

He is very nice. He is not really a picasso clown. Picassos are over marked with white, while yours is undermarked.
I have see percs with nearly symmetric circular marking before, but maybe just a handful in my 25 years or so in the hobby.

Congrats on a unique fish.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:10 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

haha very cute little clown. Like phender said picassos have excess white, yours is a mis-bar'd ... & a very neat one at that
Old 12/16/2007, 11:11 PM
Enjoying Life

I have similar that were sold to me. Unique and I love em' Not true what most would call, ORA picasso's but cool enough for me!

Congrats on a great looking little fish!
Old 12/16/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Smile How did I know?

Gotta love the instant gratification with you folks! Ask and ye shall receive (an answer).

You guys rock... I'm a little bummed he isn't a Picasso, but he is a good little fella!

Thanks all,
~O
Old 12/17/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

HEy does ur LFS still have some?
Old 12/17/2007, 01:01 AM
2005 AL West Champs

I belive that is called a teardrop morph. they are breed in europe from what I understand from seeing them at Quality Marine
Old 12/17/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abrahamcho
HEy does ur LFS still have some?
Unfortunately I got him a while ago and in subsequent visits to the store (Amazon Pet off Camden in San Jose) I didn't see any. When I got him, the owner made it sound like these guys were not unheard of, but certainly uncommon.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:39 AM
Moved On

Its def a PERC... anyways any clownfish are fun to have.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:00 AM
Registered Member

Nice clown.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

REally? OVer here in SO. CAL i found none. THe only once they have are the common O&W ones and some B&W ones here and there. I really want a pair! Anyone will to sell me a pair?!
Old 12/18/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

You shouldn't be bummed that it's not a picasso. That's a nice clown and it didn't cost you $100 or more.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

kinda looks like an onyx... very pretty
Old 01/03/2008, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Nice looking and a bargain at 20 bucks