Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 05/22/2005, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by palabok
Sanjay, do you know anything on how good the IRIDIUS 250w DE bulbs are? THey are bieng sold by Custom Aquatics. Any info would help. THanks
No, I have not seen these lamps yet.

sanjay.
Old 05/22/2005, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BraenDead
I don't see anywhere that mentions what PPFD and CCT stand for? I m guessing PPFD is similar/synonymous with Par?

Bob
Bob:

All the terms are defined in my very first article.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...lideLamps1.htm

sanjay.
Old 05/22/2005, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Glad to see the AB 20K on there. I knew the PPFD increased when I went from the AB 20K to the Phoenix 14k, but I had no idea it was that much.
Old 05/29/2005, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

what ever happened to the XM 15K 250Watt have you had a chance to burn and test it yet?

Thx
Frank
Old 05/31/2005, 09:55 AM
Moved On

Sanjay, are there going to be any more 175w bulbs tested? I think the only one you show on your website is a AB.

Also, several bulbs seem to be the same bulb but marked 'SE 1' and 'SE 2', both of the same 'K' rating. Is this 2 of the same bulbs?
Old 05/31/2005, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glipper69
what ever happened to the XM 15K 250Watt have you had a chance to burn and test it yet?

Thx
Frank
Working on them.

sanjay.
Old 05/31/2005, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ereefic
Sanjay, are there going to be any more 175w bulbs tested? I think the only one you show on your website is a AB.

Also, several bulbs seem to be the same bulb but marked 'SE 1' and 'SE 2', both of the same 'K' rating. Is this 2 of the same bulbs?
THe 175s tend to end up low on the totem pole

I do not use them and infact I do not have a whole lot of 175s. In fact on ly 55G tank, I replaced the 175W with 150 De lamps and I think that is a better choice, given the reflector quality. There is some old data on 175s in my earlier articles.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...omparison.html

I will be testing the XM 15K 17s and the XM 10KK and 20KK 175s soon. But I only have 2 ballasts for them - the magnetic ballast and the Lumen General Electronic Ballast.

When I have more than one lamp of the same type, I have been labelling them 1, 2.. and so on. So SE 1 and SE2 would indicate 2 different lamps of the same brand. This will give us some idea on the variation between lamps.

sanjay.
Old 06/01/2005, 01:06 AM
Moved On

I agree with Sanjay...want to know what bulb to get when you need to replace your 175s? A 150 (and a new ballast & socket)!
Old 06/01/2005, 01:10 AM
Moved On

I've been extremely happy with my 175w MH lighting. For what they are and the application they've been used for, they've been great. No complaints.
Old 06/01/2005, 10:51 AM
Teem Zissou

sanjay: are you aware of the mysql connect issues on yer site?

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.c...ectballast.php

Quote:
Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Access denied for user: '..@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/../public_html/Connections/spectraldatabase.php on line 9
Old 06/01/2005, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Yeah... I was having trouble with connecting to the database from my home computer and I ended up screwing up the user account I had set up. It is fixed now and should work.

sanjay.
Old 06/01/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Wanted to know if you are now Aware of

"JpGraph Error: HTTP headers have already been sent.
Explanation:
HTTP headers have already been sent back to the browser indicating the data as text before the library got a chance to send it's image HTTP header to this browser. This makes it impossible for the library to send back image data to the browser (since that would be interpretated as text by the browser and show up as junk text).
Most likely you have some text in your script before the call to Graph::Stroke(). If this texts gets sent back to the browser the browser will assume that all data is plain text. Look for any text, even spaces and newlines, that might have been sent back to the browser.

For example it is a common mistake to leave a blank line before the opening "
James
Old 06/01/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Sanjay, you rock dude, all the man hours you have spent, are much appreciated !!!!!!!!!
Old 06/01/2005, 09:26 PM
Teem Zissou

heya!

i second both Illusion on reproducing the error, and ulua56 on the thanks!
Old 06/01/2005, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Sorry guys.. right now I have no clue why the plotting is not working correctly.

I had some problems with accessing database which I have since fixed. I did not change or touch any of the code. So I cannot explain the cause of this problem.

I works fine locally on my computer, and I have no clue why something that was working would not work anymore given that I made no changes to the code.

UNfortunately I am unable to figure out the cause.

sanjay.
Old 06/01/2005, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
Sorry guys.. right now I have no clue why the plotting is not working correctly.

I had some problems with accessing database which I have since fixed. I did not change or touch any of the code. So I cannot explain the cause of this problem.

I works fine locally on my computer, and I have no clue why something that was working would not work anymore given that I made no changes to the code.

UNfortunately I am unable to figure out the cause.

sanjay.
Because it's not the code, it's the MySQL database. You need to rebuild the tables. Your host should be able to help you if you're not familiar with how to do this.
Old 06/02/2005, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

OK.. after almost a day of head scratching and head banging, deleting and reinstalling the database, I got the site working again.

And as an added bonus, I managed to get it all updated too with the latest data on the Coralvue lamps from my May article in Advanced Aquarist.

As of June 2nd, there are now 630 spectral data available on the site.

Enjoy

sanjay.
Old 06/02/2005, 10:22 PM
Moved On

Sanjay is a headbanger...cool...
Old 06/03/2005, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

How big of a difference is a 15 increase in ppfd? I have the Phoenix 14K with an IceCap electronic, which I see is 73 ppfd. The PFO HQI gets 88 ppfd with this bulb. Is that a significant enough increase to warrant an upgrade from my electronic IceCap to the PFO (or Bluewave III)?
Old 06/03/2005, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trmiv
How big of a difference is a 15 increase in ppfd? I have the Phoenix 14K with an IceCap electronic, which I see is 73 ppfd. The PFO HQI gets 88 ppfd with this bulb. Is that a significant enough increase to warrant an upgrade from my electronic IceCap to the PFO (or Bluewave III)?
Well in this case it is almost a 20% increase. As for wether to change would depend on a lot of factors.

1) is your tank and corals doing well right now. If things are going good - do not change.
2) How deep is the tank ? what fixture are you using. ? If hte tank is 24" or less and you are using the Sunlight supply or PFO DE pendants, you are fine
3) If you want you can compensate for the difference by lowering your lights. A couple of inches will do the trick.

So as you can see there is really no clear cut answer :-) You can make it work once you understand what you are getting from your current lighting system.

sanjay.
Old 06/03/2005, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

I think my corals could be doing better, especially SPS mounted lower in the tank. My Milleporas were browning out until I switched from 20K AB to the Phoenix 14K, and are now coloring up. I want more of that.

The tank is 21" tall, and I'm using the 250w Aqua Medic Ocean Light fixture, but with an IceCap ballast. Do you have any opinions on that fixture vs the PFO or ROIII?
Old 06/03/2005, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Sanjay, thanks for all your work. Do you have plans in the near future for testing "Auqatic Lighting System 400W 12,000k Sunburst" bulbs?
Old 06/03/2005, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Is IceCap the only one making 400W DE bulbs?
Also their 10K bulb seems to perform like a 20K bulb on the charts.
Old 06/03/2005, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
Yes, they are without the glass. Lumenarc did not have the glass when we got these.

The bottom used to be 6" off the water. When I switched to the EVC 10K lamps (they have almost 2X PAR of the Ushio on a M59 ballast) I raised it by 4" more inches. I like this better since I am now getting full coverage of 42" from to back.
sanjay.
Sanjay,

Why did you switch to EVC 10K's and are you running an supplement Blue?
Old 06/03/2005, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alrha
Is IceCap the only one making 400W DE bulbs?
Also their 10K bulb seems to perform like a 20K bulb on the charts.
Coralvue also make a 400 watt DE bulb

Doug