Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Need a little advice

Hi everyone

The 12 gal. has been up and running for a few weeks and the water parameters are fine but for some reason I now have hair algea all over the place. I did add a bag of Phosban the other day and after a few days is when I noticed the algea any help or solutions? I have not done a water change yet should I go that route?

Thanks
Arlo
Old 12/28/2007, 04:17 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

New tank syndrome...you can manually remove it, do water changes, get an herbivore, let it grow, grow, grow or whatever I chose to remove as much manually as I could on my 550lbs of rock and added some Turbo Snails and a Sea Hare.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/28/2007, 04:45 PM
SMBS

Sorry, I refuse to help anyone associated with the Air Force or Air National Guard J/K

Everything Dave said was spot on. Seahares will devour hair algae although I don't think you could support one in a 12 gallon long term, maybe one of the smaller species but definitely not one of the big pacific types. I would get a few snails and remove manually until you finish your algae cycles, usually a couple months but sometimes a lot longer.

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 12/28/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys I have 4 Nas. snails in there along with a Emeral Crab but they are not doing much.
Old 12/28/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys I have 4 Nas. snails in there along with a Emeral Crab but they are not doing much.
Old 12/28/2007, 05:16 PM
SMBS

Nassarius snails just eat detritus they won't touch algae get a couple turbo snails, maybe just one if its big

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 12/28/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

get a turbo snail. He will have a field day in there. Few turbos and some astrea and you should be fine.

"The cheese stands alone."