Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)

Old 12/31/2007, 11:07 AM
SMBS

Angry Green Penis Weed

OK, tell me this isn't a strange coincidence.

Less than week after visiting Scbadiver's (AKA Mr. Green Penis Weed) house for the Christmas Party my wife noticed a single stalk of GPW in my tank. I plucked it with a tweezers and within two weeks two more stalks grew up in its place! I plucked those two stalks a few weeks ago. Last night I notice that it grew back now three stalks strong.

Just to be clear, I have never had GPW in any of my tanks throughout 8 years in this hobby. Prior to first noticing the GPW I hadn't added a new frag or coral in probably three months. Robbie and I did not trade any frags or anything, I never even put a finger in his tank.

All this has led me to one solid and irrefutable conclusion:

Robbie's whole house is infected with Green Penis Weed!

The evil penis weed has evolved and went airborne! There is no stopping its spread now. The evil penis spores must have settled on my arm just waiting for the next time I put my hand in my tank so they could spread their penis infection to the next host.

But seriously, it there any other way to deal with this stuff? I have no idea where I got it but it doesn't seem to respond to simple pruning. I don't want to see it get out of control.

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 12/31/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

I KNEW IT! It IS airborne!!! I am sorry to hear this but you did confirm something for me. I noticed the same thing when I pluck it. It comes back stronger and thicker. That said, when my skimmer broke (when I "fixed" it), I noticed in the few weeks I was without it the evil weed lost vigor and the bright green faded. I then started feeding the tank VERY heavy. A lot of it died and I then pulled out the rest about a week before the party. I still have some growing but it isn't as thick or strong as it was. I believe it likes really clean water. Good luck and sorry. Next time I will offe EPA suits for visitors and a washdown as you leave
Old 12/31/2007, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Condoms......not just for the bedroom any more......

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Old 12/31/2007, 11:22 AM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by scbadiver
I KNEW IT! It IS airborne!!! I am sorry to hear this but you did confirm something for me. I noticed the same thing when I pluck it. It comes back stronger and thicker. That said, when my skimmer broke (when I "fixed" it), I noticed in the few weeks I was without it the evil weed lost vigor and the bright green faded. I then started feeding the tank VERY heavy. A lot of it died and I then pulled out the rest about a week before the party. I still have some growing but it isn't as thick or strong as it was. I believe it likes really clean water. Good luck and sorry. Next time I will offe EPA suits for visitors and a washdown as you leave
I have recently make large improvements in my water quality. I upgraded my skimmer and added a phosban reactor. I think it's helping in my fight against Lobophora (brown wafer algae) but its possible the improved water quality is not helping in my new war with GPW. Its always something

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 12/31/2007, 11:28 AM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

I found one piece in my tank a few weeks ago.. I whacked it off and haven't seen it since.. I had never seen the stuff before. I have not noticed if it has come back or not. The good thing it was on a little piece of rock.. If it comes back I will just pull the rock out. But I have noticed I got a few frags, that is starting to get what I think is cotton candy algae on it.. It pink and almost looks like hair Algae.

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:38 AM
SMBS

Green Penis Weed (Neomeris Annulata) Thanks Robbie, I found the Latin name in one of your other posts.

Old 12/31/2007, 11:41 AM
SMBS

Quote:
But I have noticed I got a few frags, that is starting to get what I think is cotton candy algae on it.. It pink and almost looks like hair Algae.
Do you have a pic Lonnie? I think I have something similar

Old 12/31/2007, 12:26 PM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

I will try to get one.. I need to pull the frag plug out and clean it off before it starts spreading.

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I had some of that in my 24 what it was up. I liked it. It eventually died out though. I heard it referred to as Spindleweed.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 12/31/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Spindleweed is a name it goes by, if you have few stalks. When it takes over the tank you'll call it by GPW. Technically, it is Neomeris Annulata. I know all sorts of stuff about it but not how to kill it, yet. Seeing as Nick just clean up and improved the water quality right before this started it helps me to believe my theory that it prefers really clean water.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Im Lon 2
I found one piece in my tank a few weeks ago.. I whacked it off and haven't seen it since..
Wow what are we talking about? Green ______ Weed and you did what to it A different approach but if it works for you....

Working to pay for the Fish.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

I think you have GPWE (Green Penis Weed Envy).

I had some when my tank was in it's early stages. I kept plucking it and then it finally quit growing. From what you guys are saying is now my tank is too dirty to support it. I guess I'll have to live with it.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

LOL
Old 12/31/2007, 05:19 PM
I'm not scared, Are you??

WOW this is all so hard to comprehend. I had about 6 or 7 stalks of this stuff. I let it grow @ first cause thought is was perdy looking. And then I heard a rumor that it potentially could go into MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE and grow out of my tank taken control of my house, invade my body and make me look like David Hasseloff (but not have his money). Well needless to say I freaked out and plucked the GPW and it never came back again.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.