Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Angry pink blotches all over glass

75 gal reef only approx 1 year old. Have about 70lbs of live rock, a few star polyps, some zoanthids and pulsing zenia. I am getting pink round blotches of something all over the glass and the only way to get them off is scrape them with a razor. Where could they have come from? The tank has been fine till about a month ago. I have not changed or added anything or my routine of water changes. All levels seem to be acceptable. Thanks for the help!!
Old 12/01/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

welcome to the wonderful world of coraline alage. get used to that razor it will become your best friend from now on. lol
Old 12/01/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

i thought coraline was good for your tank was i wrong?isnt it supposed to be what everyone wants to get?
Old 12/01/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

i have it all over the back of my tank's glass, I like it, means the tank is healthy I thought. It's not an epidemic, just random pink spots against the background
Old 12/01/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Great hear. I don't mind scraping if it is good!!
Old 12/01/2007, 08:53 PM
Why? Because I can

coraline algae it is!!! you will need to scape off the front and sides. I keep the back of my tank covered with it. i think the green and purple colors look nice in the tank.
Old 12/01/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Stop giving the fish paintbrushes.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Congratulations, you are seeing the signs of a healthy tank and now another maintenance decision begins. Most people leave it alone on the back glass and the overflow on drilled tanks. It does a great job of camoflaging the overflow and the back glass is usually to hard to reach for a decent scraping. I have relegated myself to just keeping it off the front glass and will let it grow everywhere else. Eventually your power heads will be completely covered as well.

I do like the comment about fish with paint brushes, when they are done with the tank they can paint each other and come up with some new wild color combinations. ;-)