Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 12:54 PM
Reef Tank Addict

The_Boyz1 Dis-Honest Seller

I bought a used 175 bowfront from The_Boyz1 aka Irwin.

Got the tank home, noticed the back trim ring was cracked all the way thru, I wanted to return the tank for a full refund, Iriwn said no, he'd refund 1/2 the cost of the new brace..

Ordered a brace, brace installed, waited 48 hrs for new silicone to dry and set.

Tank blew a front seam and made a huge mess..

This tank was doomed since day 1.

The front seam also looks different from the rear, I believe it was cob-jobbed up to make the sale and get rid of it.

I would like Irwin to make good on this.

I paid $800 for the whole deal, I think 50% back would be more then fair.

I've also told irwin he is more then welcome to come to my home and witness this tank leak, he can even have it all back, its no good to me.

All I want is a refund of some sort to make good.

This sucks all around belive me...

Old 09/18/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

I would say you would have to prove it was a ticking timebomb. Very hard in my assessment. Did you test the tank thoroughly when you purchased it from Irwin? IMHO, the whole issue is a used product and specifically a tank, should be purchased with extreme caution. That being said, I hope things work out between you two. If not, chalk it up to experience and move on.
Old 09/18/2007, 02:32 PM
Reef Tank Addict

I hear ya 110%

Iriwn is refusing to respond to me and that right there shows you that he is hiding something.

I asked for his address and phone # so I could contact him and return the tank to him. No response.

I left my phone # to call me, no response...

I hear ya with used tanks, this will be be last used tank purchase ever.

We put all this trust into people and for what, to get pee'd on in return... (it sucks)

Irwin,

If your reading this, Please respond to me via PM with your telephone # and address.

The quicker we can talk, the quicker we can make this right in some way or another...
Old 09/18/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

All the best to you. I really hope it works out in the end.
Old 09/18/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Got the tank home, noticed the back trim ring was cracked all the way thru
where did you pick the tank up from?
Old 09/19/2007, 11:10 AM
Reef Tank Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sunkool
where did you pick the tank up from?
I picked the tank up in buffalo, I live in albany, 4 hr drive.

all highway too, smooth drive all the way home in a brand new van.

I highly doubt it had anything to do on my behalf, I took extra caution if anything with my "new" tank..

ya know...

It just sucks all around...

I dont want a full refund, I know I'm not welcome to that. I feel 50% though would be more then fair. We can each eat half of it and learn from it. Hell, he can even take the whole tank/stand/canopy back and maybe fix it, then re-sell it again...

If anyone cares, heres a link to the thread in his local clubs reef forum : http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/sh...readid=1209734

I'm hopeing I'm being fair myself with asking for a 50% refund.

We'd both be eating some loss but not 100%. Seems fair to me....

Last edited by Krazy; 09/19/2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09/19/2007, 11:38 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

1. No warranty is offered on most used things you purchase, usually you buy something "As Is". Should have inspected it upon pickup before giving any $$$ away. How do we know that you didn't damage the tank on the trip home, you said it wasn't and he said it was. I doubt you would accept a tank with visable defects upon pickup, just logic.

2. You wanted a full refund but backed off when he split the brace cost with you. After you agreed to splitting the costs for the brace it basically made your request for a refund null and void.

You should thank him for splitting the cost of the brace and accept the blown seam as a risk of buying used equipment and move on, either resell the tank yourself or have someone fix it for you and use it. Dragging him through the mud on his local board is not cool, he owe's you nothing since you bought a used tank in "As Is" condition.
Old 09/19/2007, 12:34 PM
Reef Tank Addict

Last I knew when you buy things "as-is" it is well noted upfront that it would be an "as-is" sale...

If I can sell the tank/stand/canopy myself for $500 then fine and dandy I will leave the seller alone.

If you were in my shoes, you'd be just as upset, a "new" tank to you, blown out seam and 180gallons of water on BRAND new carpet, just doesnt mix well...

FWIW, I bought a brand new AGA 210 Megaflow. No more "used" tanks over here my way...

Its a lesson learned regardless of the outcome.

Now I will also like to note, if you have nothing to do with this situation, please stay out of the thread, there is no place for you here. Your opinions are respected even though I personally dis-agree with them...

FWIW as well : I am going to try and sell the tank to recoup some funds... http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/sh...readid=1210519

If the seller wants to man-up, with open arms I'll accept, if not, as already said, a lesson learned...

I'm done in here...

Last edited by Krazy; 09/19/2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09/19/2007, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

I just wanted to point out that Krazy K had a big controversy buying a 90 gallon tank last August. This is the second time he has bought a tank from someone and created a thread calling the seller a liar and a cheat.
Old 09/20/2007, 12:56 PM
Reef Tank Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanemene
I just wanted to point out that Krazy K had a big controversy buying a 90 gallon tank last August. This is the second time he has bought a tank from someone and created a thread calling the seller a liar and a cheat.
Well I was done in here til you posted this....

But just check my feedback on here, it speaks for its-self.

It's 100% and then some, aside from my two used tank purchases.. (used tank purchases, hmm does that tell you something)

I still have the 90 gallon tank from that dispute you mention. The seller and I worked that problem out nicely. That was a COMPLETLY different problem then the one here with the 175 gallon tank. We couldnt find a middle ground for me to get the 90 picked up as my ride for the tank either fell through, or the seller did a couple times.

The 90 is well and was a great deal, it worked well for me over the year, I now have a 210 though, just came in today actually. Im moving on and looking forward...

Just to save myself the headache, I could care less now what the seller does, I already know what he is in my head, I'll sell the tank myself needing repair and learn well from that loss. The seller can smile as he pulled a fast one and got off on it...

Take Care

Mods,
Please close and or delete this post, its going excactly where I didnt want it to, and that is people who have nothing to do with this particular situation gettin involved with it... The point was made, the deal is done and we can all move on already...

Last edited by Krazy; 09/20/2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09/20/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

looks like you got caught in another he owes me situation. Your in the wrong for asking for a refund IMO
Erik
Old 09/20/2007, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Krazy K

Mods,
Please close and or delete this post, its going excactly where I didnt want it to, and that is people who have nothing to do with this particular situation gettin involved with it... The point was made, the deal is done and we can all move on already...
lol...yea. People aren't really lining up in support of you, are they. I agree with a prior post...I think the seller did more than he had to by splitting the cost of the brace with you.
Old 09/20/2007, 02:09 PM
RC Admin

I think we're done here.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc