Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona-Sierra Vista/Tucson Reef Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 02:39 PM
...da Purple People Eater

Very nice looking corals.
Looks like Vince's coral cradles were used on some of teh frags

What is the KH value in dKH?

The relationtion between Alkalinity and Calcium are opposites. So if you are dosing calcium supplements without adding a buffer then you will see a large drop in alkalinity. You need to dose both parts to create a stable balance and raise the levels.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

I'm using the 2 part b-ionic with the buffer for the calc. The degrees kh is 10. I jsut threw together a 10 gallon QT for the new frags. I'll keep them in there for a few days before introducing into the main tank.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:08 PM
Always Learning

Get used to testing your alkalinity and calcium regularly because you are going to use a good amount of both with SPS and a tank that large. You want to consider just dipping them in lugols and putting them in your display. Ask Scott what your technique for that should be. Your next investment may be a calcium reactor as it can get to be a pain keeping alkalinity and calcium steady when you have a tank that uses a lot of both. I know Scott has to dose twice a day on his nano.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 01/04/2008, 02:02 AM

I'm down to 6 squirts of each part once a day

The nano has fluctuations becuase the corals are pigs and the tank is so small.

Jason, your tank should be more stable, but you will have to find the correct dosing methods. Do not trust the label recomendations. You will need to use a chem calulator and determine your own consumption rates. Once done, the calculator will tell you how much of the 2 Part supplement to dose in order to maintain levels. Of course, this requires that you get your levels up to the desired numbers first.

Here is the calculator I like to use.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html
Old 01/04/2008, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I didn't even know anyhthing like that existed. The reactor will have to remain on the back burner. In addition to the expenses of the new tank set up, our 57in rear projection Sony TV died so we had to replace it with a 58in plasma. I'll need to pay for that for a bit before I can invest in a reactor.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:29 PM
Always Learning

Wow, that sounds like an awesome TV, probably more fun than a calcium reactor. If you need calcium and alkalinity on the cheap nothing beats dripping kalkwasser. Its pretty much the same concept as a calcium reactor, which is just to keep the alkalinity and calcium steady by using a calcium drip.

Old 01/04/2008, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

The last time I tried to drip kalk it didn't go so well. I mixed it per the directions and then used a homemade dripper to slowly drip it in. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:59 PM
Always Learning

It has to be carefully monitored and controlled. If you dump in too much at once then you are going to RTN your SPS. It is very economical and there are many gorgeous tanks that use Kalk as their supplement. If you have more questions just post in the reef discussion section and see if that helps.

Old 01/04/2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Kalk and zoas

If your going to keep Zoanthids and drip kalk monitor you zoa's for zoa pox. At some point you may have to decide which direction to take your tank. LPS,SPS,Zoas......
Old 01/04/2008, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

I don't want to decide........I want it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01/05/2008, 12:11 AM
Always Learning

Lol, having lots of different things in a tank can be very hard to do, thats why I eventually switched to a almost all SPS tank with a couple things of zoos. Its much easier this way and I don't have to worry as much.

Old 01/05/2008, 12:27 AM

I have a mixed nano. I tried going to just sps, but I am too in love with diversity and exotic colors. I have LPS, sps, zoos, shrooms, xenia, palys, and more. Wow, hard to believe they all fit.

I have not had luck with kalkwasser either. I also tried the Salifert All-in-One and trace hard. I had difficulty keeping the values stable despite otherwise good results.

I now use Oceans Blend 2 part and that did the trick. The beauty of this brand is that it also has all other trace elements so there is no need to purchase any other additives. It is also less expensive than other brands. I soley rely on Oceans Blend 2 part and weekly 20% water changes with RO/DI and Instant Ocean salt. I prefer to mix my own so I can control the SG.

I feed the corals once or twice a week with TLF Phytoplan and Cyclopeeze. I also feed the fish once to three times a week.

I have been meaning to suggest to you. I think you said your last test revealed 1.022 SG. This is good for fish, but too low for corals. Aim for 1.025 with +/- .001 tolerance. Corals will thrive better with near NSW levels of salinity.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Yup, I knew the SG was low. I normally aim for that 1.025 mark. I'm planning on doing a small water change this weekend and will try to beef up the sg in the process.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Smile TV

In addition to the expenses of the new tank set up, our 57in rear projection Sony TV died so we had to replace it with a 58in plasma. I'll need to pay for that for a bit before I can invest in a reactor.

cant believe he picked a TV over a calcium reactor, well i'm sure the day will come when that will change,
Old 01/05/2008, 07:56 PM

I would not recommend a reactor for a nano. It is a big expense and you can control alk and Ca with a good 2 part solution.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Question ???????????

His nano is 115 gallons
Old 01/05/2008, 10:05 PM

ha, I forgot. The other guy, newbie-somthing has the 24g nano.
Cheers