Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/02/2006, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Softie Fragging 101

I’ve been a member of Reef Central for two years now. I’ve learned a lot, and I’ve gotten a lot of really great advice. I thought I’d return the favor by answering a question that gets asked very frequently - how to propagate soft corals. I’ll post how I go about fragging some of the stuff in my tank. I may not incorporate everybody’s method, but at least I can give you a good idea of how successful fragging is pretty easy to achieve.

I’ll start with getting the proper tools. I'll going to assume everyone will know those that are obvious, such as paper towels, rags, rubber bands, so on & so forth.

Tools Used For Fragging

Here are a few tools I use to make fragging a lot easier. By having these on hand and in good working condition, you can limit the amount of time the coral to be fragged is out of the water, and keep yourself from making a mess.

Scissors: Any good pair of scissors will work. Make sure they are clean and operate freely. I check them each time I use them.

Needles: I buy a pack of 24; they are different lengths, but I always use the longest ones I have (about 2” long). Make sure they are washed before and after you use them.

Fishing Line: I use 10lb test because that’s the smallest I’ve found.

Tool: ‘Tool’ is actually wedding veil material. You can find it at WallyWorld in the fabrics section. It’s very cheap; $1 for a square yard, if I’m not mistaken. Sometimes they’ll have scrap pieces for less.

Cooking Pan: I use a round cake cooking pan. This will help you from flooding the floor (something my wife appreciates). I marked it with a marker to denote it was not to be used for cooking; I keep it in my stand.

Diagonal Cutters: These come in handy for breaking rock. Pay close attention when cleaning these; the spot right at the joint can get all kinds of gunk in it.

Various Cups: Just like it says. I use cake frosting cups; not only are they just the right size, it’s also fun to get them empty.

That’s where I’ll end today. In the next installment, I will show – with many pics – how I go about fragging a green sinularia.

Hope this helps!
Old 07/02/2006, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Tnks it does....
now you need to fisnish the article.
Show us the rest
Old 07/02/2006, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

I like this method. I also like to sew/tie my softies to the rock/plug. They attach so fast!
Old 07/03/2006, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

nyvp -If you need some more info fast visit www.garf.org

They have propagation information for many different corals. Good step by step instructions. They will also answer questions on the phone if you need help.
Old 07/03/2006, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Show us the rest
nyvp - as soon as I can! Until then, here's a pic of the green sinularia I'll be fragging from:

Old 07/03/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Great, an actual fragging thread! Speaking of thread, I also use the sewing method for most of the softies I've tried my hand at fragging, and it's been the easiest and most effective on shrooms, leathers and even xenia (that's about all I've tried). I've just been using regular thread, though. So far, I haven't had any issues, but I've noticed many people use fishing line. Is this a better option, and why is that? Is it just because it's transparent, or are there other reasons?

-Mike C.
Old 07/04/2006, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

If I am not quick to remove the thread, I notice that it comes off too easily , deteriation I guess. So, I would assume this is not great for the tank. And from what I have seen in recent dives, fishing line seems to not deteriate at all....
Old 07/04/2006, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Well, it's twofold. One, thread is like a razor when pulled tight; the water movement in the tank tends to make the thread slice right through the frag, not holding it long enough for it to attach. The fishing line is much larger, and tends not to pull through the frag.

Second, the thread does deteriorate. The fishing line will not.
Old 07/04/2006, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Cool. I'm looking forward to your next installment. The photos are a nice touch.
Old 07/06/2006, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Wanted to tag in here and say thanks for starting this thread...seems like some very good information!

not trying to change the subject here, but along with softie fragging...can you touch on how you might frag a mushroom? I have a huge mushroom rock that will not fit into my new setup, and i would like to transfer the mushrooms to a couple smaller rocks. Thanks!

steve
Old 07/06/2006, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SLHerch
...can you touch on how you might frag a mushroom?
Steve, thanks for the comments! I planned on fragging a mushroom or two.
Old 07/06/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cacunacacuna
Cool. I'm looking forward to your next installment. The photos are a nice touch.
Thanks for the comments! That's why I started this thread; when I started trying to find information on fragging, I found all kinds of info, but either the threads didn't include pics or they were very unclear about the methods. Hopefully I can avoid confusion with pics.

Next installment should be up tomorrow (although probably kind of late in the afternoon), but definitely will be before the weekend's out!
Old 07/07/2006, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so here goes…..

Ok, so here goes…..

First and foremost – I have had problems with trying to sew frags that are too small. What you have to realize is, soft corals are filled with water. They will shrink tremendously when cut or taken out of the water. I always wait until I have a branch with a diameter of at least 1/4-1/2”. As you will see, the frag here is pretty small when it’s being handled; keep in mind it was about 3/8” diameter before I cut it.

Step 1: Get your tools ready. I’ve got my pan, paper towels, scissors and razor blade ready. I always go ahead and thread two needles. You may only need one (as in this case), but if you need two it saves a little time to have them already threaded.

Step 2: Get your frag rock ready. I bought a pound of live rock rubble at my lfs for $2 a pound. I use it primarily for fragging; I keep it in my sump. When choosing the right rock, pick a rock that has at least one semi-flat side. You also want to ensure that the fishing line will have something to hold on to and stay put. Once you’ve picked your rock, pat the rock off with a paper towel and set it in the pan.

Step 3: Cut your frag. I used the scissors to cut this frag; I had to do that because my donor coral was attached to immovable rockwork. Most of the time it’s easier to take the donor out of the tank and cut the frag off with a razor blade.

Step 4: Thread your frag. Here you see that I’ve pierced the frag at the base.

I’ll run it all the way through until the needle eye and about an inch of fishing line is through. Now pull one side of the fishing line through, and take the needle off.

Step 4: Tie your frag to your rock. Here you can see that I’ve tied the fishing line in a knot. I will place the rock in the loop, and pull on the ends of the line until the coral is pulled to the rock, with the freshly cut end against the rock. IMPORTANT: Don’t pull so tight that the fishing line pulls through the coral; you just want it tight enough to remain in contact with the rock. Depending on the size of your frag, it might be a little tricky getting the cut end to stay next to the rock; just be patient. You also may not be able to add the second line to tie it and stabilize it, so make sure you get a good size frag with at least a ¼” base when fully opened.

Step 4: Place new frag in tank. Pat yourself on the back, you’ve just made your first frag!

Step 5: Remove the fishing line. You need to wait at least two weeks before removing the line; some frags take only days to attach, but if you try to remove the line too soon you could accidentally rip the coral from the rock. The line won’t break down, so you’ve got plenty of time to wait until the frag grows a little bigger.

That’s all for now; I’ll try a toadstool or something next! Hope this helps, and if I can help clarify, please don’t hesitate to ask!
Old 07/07/2006, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to mention that this method can be used on colt corals, finger leathers, devil's hand leathers, and most other branching corals.
Old 07/07/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I'm really digging the writeup with photos. Its not something new to me, but definately is an interesting read to see how others frag. Do you have someone taking photos while you're fragging, or are you managing to photograph and frag simultaneously? I've wanted to document how I frag things like favia, acans, sinularia, shrooms, zoas, etc. Basically a bit of everything in my tank - but I find that getting someone to frame the photo to show off the details is difficult, and trying to photograph with wet hands tends to cause problems

If I may point out something I noticed, and have experienced in the past. I wouldn't try to place the cut end directly onto the rock. In my experience, and from what I've read, the frags do better of the cut end is open to flow to keep it flushed and help prevent infection. I dont know how true this is, but with my pulsing sinularia, xenia, and other similar corals, I always have kept the cut end open and they did well. I havent tried the other way so I cant say whether its true or not, just something I've read.

Again, excellent writeup. You have me motivated to find a willing photographer, or to ziplock my camera to prevent water damage
Old 07/07/2006, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments, Tekknoschtev!

Quote:
I find that getting someone to frame the photo to show off the details is difficult, and trying to photograph with wet hands tends to cause problems
I take my own photos. I wipe my hands off on a towel before I pick the camera up (another thing my wife appreciates). The ziploc idea sounds like a good one!

Quote:
the frags do better of the cut end is open to flow to keep it flushed and help prevent infection
I've read both. Funny, I've only tried it this way, and you've only tried it the other way, and they both work! Disproved those theories, haven't we? I guess the only difference could be attachment times. I have had frags attach in days, and I attribute that to placing the fresh cut end next to the rock, but on the other hand, I've had several corals just thrown on the substrate attach on the sides in no time, too......

I'm glad you posted! Believe me, I'm no expert, and like I said before, I may not get everyone's best method, but I hope I can at least shed some light on the process!
Old 07/07/2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Like I said, this thread has been an inspiration for me, and next time I'm home, I'm tearing down one frag tank and replacing it with another (same volume, but better tank - 40 tall to 40 breeder), and I'll have some area to fill up, and I'll have corals that are begging to be fragged.

I do agree with the disproving both of the theories. I've never really measured attachment time. I use the netting method, and with me being in school and work year round, I'm only home on the weekends and holidays, so they get at least a week between fragging and revealing Its nice to know both methods work. I think, in general, that people underestimate how hardy most of the corals out there are.

I'll work on documenting the process of fragging some things next time I'm home. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 07/08/2006, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

thx great thread looking forward to seeing you do a mushroom
Old 07/09/2006, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Thx for the comments!

Tekknoschtev, I'll be looking fwd to your fragging post!

Silverking, I should be able to get to a mushroom within the next couple of weeks.

Thx all for tuning in!
Old 07/15/2006, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Update:

Attachment has occured on (or around) the 15th; basically one week for attachment. I'll wait a few more to remove the fishing line.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Ok you have a great post on here I have read on it but cant find step by step on it. Thank you, I am so excited to try it on my devils hand soft coral. I have a couple of questions though... One, the 'donor' (I take it that is the coral you are taking the frag from) is it something that will heal on its own, or do you need to stitch up its wound? Also, can you frag from ANY part of it or does it need to be a joint or bend, branch if you will, and only one at a time or can you take several pieces at once? And Two, Do you let them heal inside the main tank? I noticed you said you dont want to cut while in the main tank because of toxin release, so is the donor going to be releasing toxins too? Im sorry for being an idiot, but Im really really new at this.. I am the only person I know that even has saltwater tank, so nobody but reefcentral to count on!! (Thank God for all of you!! ) Thank you!! Tanya
Old 01/09/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Nice write up, I look forward to seeing future fraggin'!
(Click my Red House)