Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 04/27/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

ill be when the second one comes saturday and i chop it up too...
Old 04/27/2007, 07:49 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by r00onmac
ill be when the second one comes saturday and i chop it up too...
ill be happy when i get my 6055 i just found out im 6th in line at salty critter
Old 04/27/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

yea buddy... i gotta say... im hooked on tunze now...

the only product i see of theirs that may not be worth the price (but def worth the hype) is the wavebox...

i wish they offered that controller separately... if im getting a custom tank built ill get the box portion built into the tank, well outside with just the opening to the main tank, but you get the idea... then strap the pump and timer on there and go...\

back to nanostream modding...

ITS AWESOME!
Old 04/27/2007, 07:53 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by r00onmac
yea buddy... i gotta say... im hooked on tunze now...

the only product i see of theirs that may not be worth the price (but def worth the hype) is the wavebox...

i wish they offered that controller separately... if im getting a custom tank built ill get the box portion built into the tank, well outside with just the opening to the main tank, but you get the idea... then strap the pump and timer on there and go...\

back to nanostream modding...

ITS AWESOME!

yea back to modding

so if the motor cant be upgraded in the 6055 what kind of flow do you think we can expect?
Old 04/27/2007, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

I don't know if any DC pumps out there can have the option of upgrading the motor, transformer maybe. Wouldn't upgrading the motor the same as upgrading the pump?

That said, if I am right the 6055 max power draw is 28.8W, there is certainly potential for a bigger prop/magnet drive to pump out close to 3000gph.

With the stock prop/drive and full blast mods, it should be able to pump out close to 2000gph.

I do want to ask people who are familir with the Tunze Stream pumps 6000 and 6100. Are the specs printed on the motor the same between the two? If so what do they say in max voltage and max amp?

Last edited by jacmyoung; 04/27/2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04/28/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

For any of you who want to do the mods yet do not have a dremel set yet, I just saw a 200-piece set for $19.99 at Costco. I already have the rotary tool but bought the set just to replenish my accessories, 200 pieces accessories alone if bought from a hardware store would cost over $30.

The rotary tool is not name brand but has continuous RPM from 8000 to 33000, perfect for our work and fits on my Dremel Workstation. Now I don't have to take the tool off the workstation if hand shaping is needed.

Just a heads up.
Old 04/28/2007, 03:22 PM
clownfish fan

what accessories do you use to do your mods jacmyoung?
Old 04/28/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
what accessories do you use to do your mods jacmyoung?
Standard cutting wheels for cutting plastics, standard grinding wheels to cut slits, standard polishing wheels for rough edges, and my finger nails to round things up
Old 04/29/2007, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

First 6055 sighting?

Here we go:

I am exhausted from the testing and more needs to be done, so stay tuned...
Old 04/29/2007, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

(forgot disclaimer: the mod will void the warranty and possibly shorten the life of the motor, do so at your own risk)

Comparison of stock shroud, larger DIY shroud, 6055 prop and 6100 prop, from right to left:

Another viewing angle:

The 6100 prop is a good fit on an Aquaclear 110 powerfilter magnet driver, only needed to sand down the single tooth on the driver to be flush with the prop to minimize unnecessary drag:

Fully assembled 6055 after the mods, the Aquaclear 110 powerfilter (not powerhead) magnet driver fits on the motor perfectly, a 6100 fish screen was cut then glued on:

A few quick stats:

Stock 6055: Total watts 20W, motor watts 18W (from Tunze), flow 1453gph (from Tunze);

6055 with larger DIY shroud: Total watts 23W, motor watts 21W (estimate), flow 2000gph (estimate);

6055 seen above: Total watts 26W, motor watts 23W (estimate), flow 2500gph (from my bag test).

That is about all I have done so far with the pump, not bad so far. The pump was put into the tank last night, running completely silent. It is hooked up to a single controller set on pulse between 30% and 100%. It kicked up a major junk storm but no sand was disturbed.

I just checked the tank it is now clear, and I had a hard time telling if the pump is running unless I look very closely, it is that silent.

And BTW, all the mods were already done before the arrival of my 6055, the result of my many failed attempts to mod my 6025s with bigger props. Now at least I feel a little vindicated.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 04/29/2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04/29/2007, 08:11 AM
clownfish fan

any chance of a video of it running.?

awsome by the way
Old 04/29/2007, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

The pump is placed at the left top corner of the tank, only 1" below water surface without sucking air, without pulsing though it needs to be 1.5 to 2" below to not suck any air in:

Due to the shape of the tank the pump is invisible from normal view and difficult to shoot with camera or video since the left side is next to a wall parallel to the picture, besides with my digicam and low video res it wouldn't be able to show much. I am not going to throw color tracer in there just for the show

BTW those are faux coral in case someone wonders, fish are real though
Old 04/29/2007, 09:18 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

jacmyoung, once again, thank you for keeping this thread alive. Because of you, and your dedication to improve upon my idea, people are saving money.

also, now that you have a 6055 that is capable of pushing that much water, would you ever consider making one of those DIY waveboxes?

if i had the time and funds to buy a 6055 to create this wavebox, i would, but with school, my part time job, and a new nano being built, i cant do anything but sit here and watch this progress.

once again, great work

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 04/29/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

A DIY wavebox sounds intimidating, do you have a link?

I resisted modding the 6055 shroud since I use the DIY large shroud anyway, but in order to know for sure how much more flow the mods can do to the 6055, I ended up doing the standard and full blast mods after all. This time however the full blast mod is much more open than what I did for the 6025 for two reasons:

1) To achieve as much flow increase as possible, 2) to direct as much flow through the underside bull blast slits as possible so the pump can be as close to the water surface without sucking in air.

After the mods the bag test gave me 1,800 gph with the 6055 prop, less than what I had estimated earlier but still not too bad. The flow increase is then 24%, and the pump can be as little as 1/2" below water surface without sucking air, that is in full speed, if put on the controller for 100/30 pulsing, the pump can literally touch the water surface if the nozzle is pointed down somewhat.

Two potential problems: 1) the 6055 uses a stainless steel washer instead of the plastic ones in the 6025/6045's. But it is very loose dropped out easily and can be easily lost, so need to be careful. Use of a stainless steel washer is of course a good idea since the 6055 is more powerful, the magnet driver presses against the bottom of the motor with much more force. 2) The 6055 prop is slightly larger than those of 6025 and 6045, the fit between the prop blades and the shroud is so close a slight misalignment can cause the blades to rub against the shroud, making big noise. That could happen even when the shroud seems properly seated on the motor half. After the mod the inner plastic surface became rough so the issue was more obvious, I had to sand the inside down really good to make it silent.

Luckily the nano pump is so flexible in how you rotate the ball that you can easily find a perfect position for total silent operation still have the flow point at the direction you want. Of course I am using the large DIY shroud so it is not an issue.

Still the above potential issues should be addressed if they become common complaint. Only time will tell.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 04/29/2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04/30/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

The picture below shows the 6055 with the standard and full blast mods. The full blast mod was done as open as possible without compromising the shroud integrity. Notice how close the prop blades are to the wall:

With the mods the total watt is 21W, the motor is estimated to draw 19W and the pump flow is 1,800 gph.
Old 04/30/2007, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Wait, I think my estimate of 2,000 gph may still be good since I was using the DIY large shroud with the 6055 prop, it drawed a total of 23W and motor draw was about 21W, 2 watts more than the above stock shroud mods.
Old 04/30/2007, 08:01 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
Wait, I think my estimate of 2,000 gph may still be good since I was using the DIY large shroud with the 6055 prop, it drawed a total of 23W and motor draw was about 21W, 2 watts more than the above stock shroud mods.
2,000,gph, wow so i have a feeling the new bigger stream pumps will be much smaller than they are now.
Old 04/30/2007, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
The picture below shows the 6055 with the standard and full blast mods. The full blast mod was done as open as possible without compromising the shroud integrity. Notice how close the prop blades are to the wall:

With the mods the total watt is 21W, the motor is estimated to draw 19W and the pump flow is 1,800 gph.
Did you do this precise cutting with a dremel? Amazing workmanship... Can I send you my shroud to mod for a price?

Is it possible to use the "HD Bucket" to measure the flow of the 6055 running at full throttle?

Is the 6055 shroud identical in size to the other 2 models?

Last question:
Are you running the 6055 on a controller, or did you plug it in the wall and selected full throttle?
Old 04/30/2007, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skydancer
Did you do this precise cutting with a dremel? Amazing workmanship... Can I send you my shroud to mod for a price?

Is it possible to use the "HD Bucket" to measure the flow of the 6055 running at full throttle?

Is the 6055 shroud identical in size to the other 2 models?

Last question:
Are you running the 6055 on a controller, or did you plug it in the wall and selected full throttle?
How about cost of a good beer? Yes on a standard dremel and the workstation. It is not as difficult as you think, after many practices you will be brave to push the envelope.

I think your bucket test will do but a larger bucket will give more accurate results due to the higher flow, and also leave sufficient clearance from the bottom of the bucket since most flow is drawn from the underside of the shroud.

I tested both on and off the controller, but all above stats are at full speed without the controller.

My question to you and any DC motor experts is, since the motor is rated max of 24V and 1.2A, wouldn't the pump max watts at 28.8W? As long as the total watt draw is below 28W it should be safe right?
Old 04/30/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

My question to you and any DC motor experts is, since the motor is rated max of 24V and 1.2A, wouldn't the pump max watts at 28.8W? As long as the total watt draw is below 28W it should be safe right?
That is correct. Power = V*I= 24*1.2 = 28.8 watts ablsolute max. Power is dissipated as heat and since the powerhead is submerged in water the heat will probably have no affect on the motor. Just don't exceed the voltage rating, and you can probably exceed the power draw, by a bit.

Did you say that the power draw went up when you put in the 6100 prop?

Now how about question above on the size of the 6055 front cover. Is it the same size as the 6025?
Old 04/30/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Yes all nanos have the same nozzle size.

Unlike 6025/6045, power draw on the 6055 changes with flow rate, a recap:

Stock 6055: total 20W, motor 18W, flow 1453;
Stock 6055 with mods: total 21W, motor 19W, flow 1,800;
6055 with large shroud: total 23W, motor 21W, flow near 2,000;
6055 with large shroud and 6100 prop: total 26W, motor 24W, flow 2,500.

Motor watts were estimated, I assumed the transformer drawed 2W across the board.
Old 04/30/2007, 03:07 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

heres the DIY wavebox link:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1007362

basically its an acrylic box, pump turns on, water is pushed out, it turns off water flows back in. get a controller to time it so right as the water enters the box, the pump kicks back on pushing it out. thast my basic perception of the wavebox. im not sure if any more holes are needed though. i guess a 1.5" hole where the pump is would let a good amount of water to flow back in pretty fast.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 04/30/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

I quickly scanned the thread and it seemed a very interesting project, I might try it in my 50g test tub, but I don't see anyone rushing to mod a 6055 into a wavebox anytime soon, not only because 6055 is costly and hard to find, but we don't know how much it will stand the frequent on and off abuse. The whole point of me going with the 6055 is the higher flow and not having to be on a rapid on/off timer.

However after the initial operation in the tank, I still don't feel the 30%-100% pulse is as good as I expected. 30% is still a lot of flow so the flow in the tank still does not mimic the back and forth wave action. But I don't see any controllers out there that can do a better job either.

Do you know what makes the pump in the Tunze Wavebox so good at withstanding the abuse?
Old 04/30/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Do you need the stopper mod if you only do the standard and fullblast mod?
Old 04/30/2007, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burton14e7
Do you need the stopper mod if you only do the standard and fullblast mod?
For 6025 it depends, if you run the pump nonstop, a stopper is not necessary. At startup just switch the pump on and off a few times quickly till you get the right spin. If you run it on and off often, yes a stopper is needed.

For 6045 the built-in stopper will likely work.

The 6055 does not need a stopper at all.