Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Poppin Fresh

Do you favor any pump brands? internal or external?
Old 12/11/2007, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Cool inwall tank

I love in-wall tanks! I hope to have one, one day! Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 12/11/2007, 10:34 PM
Master of Funk

It really depends on if you have heat issues. Did your halides cause excessive heat before? If you had to add fans to keep the tank cool, an external may be a better choice. If heat wasn't an issue, and being that your in a basement, a submersible is probably a lot less hassle.

Because you arent moving water a long ways (like me) you could probably get away with a Quiet One, Ocean Runner or Eheim pump. You can get an idea of the the plumbing layout and then input it into the headloss calculator on the main RC page. Then you can see how a particular pump will flow with your set up. It sounds complicated, but its actually very easy.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

My MHs did cause a little spike in heat, but they were also inclosed in a hood. They will now be open.

My ASM G3 came with a pump that gives off a lot of heat. I do not remember the name brand, but right now it is in one of my trash cans circulating my rock. There is no heater in there and the temp. is staying around 77.

I would not mind a submersible, I just really hated the Reo I have had since I started this hobby. Kind of glad it finally failed so I can get something better.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Re: inwall tank

Quote:
Originally posted by dachsieholic
I love in-wall tanks! I hope to have one, one day! Thanks for sharing your experience!
Thanks, I am really excited as well.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:00 AM
Moved On

Cant wait to see it up and running!
Old 12/16/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Here is a picture of my wonderful pipe fittings. I thought I could cement all these fiitings in a couple of hours. But, like a friend and I always say, multiply that by 3 and you have the correct number.

Old 12/17/2007, 03:38 AM
Registered Member

Okay,

Here is where I am at now and getting ready for a water test.

Old 12/17/2007, 03:43 AM
Registered Member

My plumbing is not pretty, but there is a blizzard going on here and I had to get it started to get my rock and LS going with the skimmer.

I plan on redoing the pipes so that they are straight and out of the way. Should just take a couple small adjustments.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:46 AM
R I P we miss you...

Radicaljbr, great set up! What pump did you go with? It looks a lot like mine, I have an HD Blue line. I see you want to run everything from the one pump. My tank is upstairs and my sump room is downstairs. I don't have any pumps/PH in my tank and I still get good water flow. I do run a phosban and carbon in my sump and have a separate mag pump for that. Click on my red house if you are looking for more info in that area.

I look forward to watching your progress. Go Bucks!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 12/17/2007, 07:10 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Radicaljbr
I do have a question here. Has anyone had problems with the salt rusting items in their tank room? My tank also houses my hot water heater, furnice and the house well system.

Does anyone see this as a problem?

I can always cut these parts off with a wall, but really do not want to do that.

Thanks
Hey Radicaljbr... Yup, I have some trouble here and there with things rusting. Usually stuff that gets cold and allows for condensation are the worst culprates. I can keep this down quite a bit with exhausting the humid air out, but that is done at the risk of heat loss. I would definitely monitor it closely and worry more about the furnace than the water heater. Also making sure that it's not sending warm humid air through the house to an unsafe level. All and all I think you will be fine. You may have to do a few little mods along the way
Old 12/17/2007, 07:15 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
My plumbing is not pretty, but there is a blizzard going on here and I had to get it started to get my rock and LS going with the skimmer.

I plan on redoing the pipes so that they are straight and out of the way. Should just take a couple small adjustments.
Well the one thing I was going to suggest at this point, you are already on top of

I actually cruised this thread the other night, I just don't post much on RC anymore...

Things are looking great! I actually love the dimensions of that tank. I had one that I gave to my neighbor and he built it inwall also. Did a great job with the aquascaping!
Old 12/17/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
Radicaljbr, great set up! What pump did you go with? It looks a lot like mine, I have an HD Blue line. I see you want to run everything from the one pump. My tank is upstairs and my sump room is downstairs. I don't have any pumps/PH in my tank and I still get good water flow. I do run a phosban and carbon in my sump and have a separate mag pump for that. Click on my red house if you are looking for more info in that area.

I look forward to watching your progress. Go Bucks!
My pump is a Pan World which is the same thing as your Blue line. I think Blue Line is the USA version. I thought I would give it a shot at running everything off one pump.

I just hate cleaning all those smaller pumps once a month.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
Well the one thing I was going to suggest at this point, you are already on top of

I actually cruised this thread the other night, I just don't post much on RC anymore...

Things are looking great! I actually love the dimensions of that tank. I had one that I gave to my neighbor and he built it inwall also. Did a great job with the aquascaping!
Hey Hop, Thanks for visiting my thread!! Again, I really love your tank and I probably should have flown you in to help build mine.

I still have electrical and lots of other things to do, but I at least got the rock in last night.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:56 PM
R I P we miss you...

I just don't like having anything extra in the tank. For the last almost 4 years it's ran great! Pleanty of flow for me. (I hope I didn't jinx myself! )

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/17/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

dude im loving the set up. hopefully one day i am going to be doing the same thing in the wall. i love how the room is set up behind it too
Old 12/17/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
I just don't like having anything extra in the tank. For the last almost 4 years it's ran great! Pleanty of flow for me. (I hope I didn't jinx myself! )
Micki,

I did not see the GO BUCKS!!! from before. Yes, Go bucks!!!!

I am actually taking my kids to an Ohio State basketball game tomorrow being that it is up here in Cleveland.

Can't wait for the football game, but what is this crap about it being on a Monday night? I really hate that. In 2003 it was on a Saturday night and we had a big party. Can't realy do that now since everyone has to work.

So far I love the pump. It is soooo quite. Now I am just trying to get my ASM G3 to start skimming. It bubbling but nothing really happening. All my stuff has been in holding tanks for almost 6 months so I expected some die off and thought my skimmer would go nuts.

Rock smelled fine, but the DSB sure had a freagrance to it. And there were lots of black patches in it as well. Now I am weathering out the sand storm. And yes, there is rock in there some where. Also, quite supprised there was coraline algea left on my rock.

Old 12/17/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidA717
dude im loving the set up. hopefully one day i am going to be doing the same thing in the wall. i love how the room is set up behind it too
Thanks,

I am very excited and cannot wait to have some fish. I have 3 boys ages 3, 6 and 8 and they are dieing for some fish. Guess what kind, yes, Nemos.

Old 12/17/2007, 05:35 PM
R I P we miss you...

Quote:
Micki,

I did not see the GO BUCKS!!! from before. Yes, Go bucks!!!!

I am actually taking my kids to an Ohio State basketball game tomorrow being that it is up here in Cleveland.

Can't wait for the football game, but what is this crap about it being on a Monday night? I really hate that. In 2003 it was on a Saturday night and we had a big party. Can't realy do that now since everyone has to work.

So far I love the pump. It is soooo quite. Now I am just trying to get my ASM G3 to start skimming. It bubbling but nothing really happening. All my stuff has been in holding tanks for almost 6 months so I expected some die off and thought my skimmer would go nuts.

Rock smelled fine, but the DSB sure had a freagrance to it. And there were lots of black patches in it as well. Now I am weathering out the sand storm. And yes, there is rock in there some where. Also, quite supprised there was coraline algea left on my rock.

I still remember when the Rose Bowl was "The Big Game"! Monday night CBC game does suck!

I had an ASN G3 skimmer and loved it. I upgraded to an ASMG4X when I added to my system. It's good as well. Is your skimmer new? It does take a while for it to really kick in.

When I upgraded from 55 to 125 I had next to no sand storm. I added the sand first then put garbage bags and plates on the bags added most of the water took the plates and bags out then added the LR. Very little sand storm.

The boys will love pickingout the fish and watching them. My 18 month old Grand son loves my tanks as does my 5 year old Granddaughter. I almost think he enjoys watching it more than she does!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/17/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I still remember when the Rose Bowl was "The Big Game"! Monday night CBC game does suck!

I had an ASN G3 skimmer and loved it. I upgraded to an ASMG4X when I added to my system. It's good as well. Is your skimmer new? It does take a while for it to really kick in.

When I upgraded from 55 to 125 I had next to no sand storm. I added the sand first then put garbage bags and plates on the bags added most of the water took the plates and bags out then added the LR. Very little sand storm.

The boys will love pickingout the fish and watching them. My 18 month old Grand son loves my tanks as does my 5 year old Granddaughter. I almost think he enjoys watching it more than she does! [/B]
No, the ASM is older, I got it last year. I have not had it on for over 6 months since my LR an DSB were in trash cans turning away. So maybe it is just tuning up. I did empty this morning, but it was all muddy sand. I actually poured it into my fuge. That stuff is valuable. Waiting for that delicous green stuff.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Sweet setup! Can't wait to see it with fish. Is that a family room or a game room or . . . ?
Old 12/17/2007, 05:44 PM
master of junk mail

Any tools I keep in my fish room in the garage develope a layer of rust. I've got a bathroom exhaust fan to install, should help. The furnace closet is in the fish room, during the winter checkup the guy said there is no evidence of moisture damage.

Looking good, have fun with all the working room.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ritten
Sweet setup! Can't wait to see it with fish. Is that a family room or a game room or . . . ?
It is a rec room in our basement. If you look closely in one of the last pictures, you can see my reflection in the glass standing next to a pool table. Behond that is sort of another family room, but in our basement and a bar off to the left. My office and Hottub room are also down here. The hot tub room is going to become a place room for our kids. In on of the first pictures, you can see behind my tank and all the old hot tub plumbing that I am still trying to tear out.

Hope those cue balls don't bust my tank!!
Old 12/17/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMcs
Any tools I keep in my fish room in the garage develope a layer of rust. I've got a bathroom exhaust fan to install, should help. The furnace closet is in the fish room, during the winter checkup the guy said there is no evidence of moisture damage.

Looking good, have fun with all the working room.
Thanks, Hope to be finished by the time my youngest graduates college. (My youngest is still due to be born this March)
Old 12/18/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, Hope to be finished by the time my youngest graduates college. (My youngest is still due to be born this March)

Aint that the truth............

Looking good though. I must say I love the flex pipe it does help elimante some bends.

(Red House for my 425 system)