Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 12:21 AM
SEAS President

Fishing for some ideas!

Anyone have any ideas for a christmas club event? How about a tank tour?

Jason
Old 11/30/2007, 11:09 AM
Soup Nazi

If by "tank tour" you mean we all make a brief stop at each others' homes... sure! That sounds cool to me. It would also be an excuse to tell the wife to get offa the couch and help me clean the Soupy homestead up...
Maybe we could all meet at a good place to eat - then carpool to each location... we could formulate a "plan-of-attack" at aforementioned eatery ???
... cheap/good sushi (the one on S National is great, IMHO) would be my suggestion

that's my $.02
Old 11/30/2007, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

that sounds like a good idea. I hope i'll be here. I would love to meet you all.

and if anyone wants to wander all the way out to my house in Strafford, you can go through my barn and take home a free aquarium. I have a bunch of 30 breeders out there collecting dust. dont even know if they still hold water.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 12/01/2007, 08:11 AM
SEAS President

yes Steve, thats exactly what I was thinking! So, sounds like to start we need to pick a date and time..

Jason
Old 12/05/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

I would really like to get this all set up so I can meet everyone I havent met and join the club AND, see the tanks! ooohhhh
Old 12/06/2007, 02:14 PM
SEAS President

I hate to be a party pooper, but I will be un-able to attend a tank tour this month. I have been sick for two weeks, and yesterday I bit the bullet and went to the doc.. He said I have Pneumonia, so being out in the cold will be a bad thing for me for a while. I really want to get the SEAS back off the ground, but am having a difficult time getting the participation I need. At the last frag swap, I tried to organize a quick meeting, and I could not pull the members away from the tanks long enough to have a serious meeting. I am starting to wonder if there is a need for a club? I know the club has lots of members, but participation is what holds a club together. I am STILL waiting to get the backup for the SEAS site, and we are also still waiting for the SEAS bank account to change hands to the new treasurer.. I just feel like we are not moving in the right direction. Participation is KEY. We could have the club continue this path, and have the occasional frag swap, and then use RC to keep in touch, like it is now,... or we can really make it something to be proud to be a member of. I have thrown several ideas out there for events.. It is your club too, and we want to hear your ideas. So, should we just leave things the way they are, or make a few small changes, and actually have monthly meetings, and more events?

Sorry, Just my $.02

Jason
Old 12/07/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

You make allot of good points. I really like the club and this site to get information but I am like everyone else, busy. I just don't know how well events are going to work. If I am available I will be there but I don't know of how many other people will. Just think of our frag swaps. We usually only have a couple people who get to them on time. I say we continue to have the frag swaps and the rest will be up to you. It seems like there isn't enough people who visit reef central regularly who want to do an event.

My $.02
Old 12/07/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

When I returned to the area on vacation a few years ago I was happy to see a club had formed in Springfield. In Chicago I was part of a very active group which met once a month in Schaumburg among lots of other activities. Without this group I would have never gotten into reefing as much as I have.
Upon returning home I have been somewhat excited to see a reforming of sorts with the local club b/c I figured I could be a big part of it. Of course I was out of town for the frag swap
Anyhow, I dont mean to ramble but the point of this is I think an active club is a great asset and I am more than willing to step up and make it a priority! Hopefully some others will chime in.
I look forward to meeting everyone I havent and hopefully making this a club we can be proud of as well!
(Still down for the tank tour
Old 12/07/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

And the sushi too LOL
Old 12/09/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else interested in having a real meeting, even with no tank tour (triggerjay maybe you could attend then) Im interested in meeting everyone and joining the club. Just throwing it out there....
Old 12/09/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

I am available for whatever.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm not a member but would like to join. I visit this site at least every few days, but don't post real often. Here's some thoughts I have:

- A monthly meeting would be great. It might not be well attended at first, but you have to start somewhere. It would be great to cover a topic of interest at each meeting and maybe rotate locations to see other displays.

- It would be great to organize a frag swap quarterly.

- A website would be a great way to foster interest and grow the club!

I'm up for investing some time in it to help/participate in any way.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

We should have a web site...we just can't get control of it to update or rebuild.

The Frag Swaps are always received well as far as attendance but nobody seems enterested in joining SEAS...even though SEAS organizes and pays for the event. Its a little annoying that some people show up to sell frags...not really trading...but have no enterest in participating or joining the club...just using the clubs event to sell some items and then split.

$.02
Old 12/09/2007, 05:50 PM
SEAS President

My thoughts exactly on the frag swaps, but unfortunatley, if we limit them only to club members, the attendance wil be fewer, and there would be little opportunity to pick up new members.. The SEAS club does own the domain name theseas.org, but the hosting has run out, and I am still in the process of getting funding from the treasury to re-open the site, and I am also still working on getting the backup of the site from John Kelly. If something does not give soon, I will get new hosting out of pocket, and start a new site, instead of using the old one. We need a site to post member only events, and member only specials at the LFS'es.. We should be able to do those things here, but unfortunatley, I feel there are more NON seas members here than seas members... And I feel the NON members should not get the LFS discounts ETC that are offered to the SEAS members. Thats one of the benefits of joining the club, and if those who have not joined, are getting the discounts, participating in the frag swaps, etc, what would be the benefit of joining? I feel this is the reason we have more non members on this forum than members... why join if you can still do all the seas stuff, and get the seas discounts? Anyhow, I will give John a call this week and see if we can get the site back up.... I feel thats step one. Step two, woud be having a password protected "members only" area on the site where we anounce SEAS only events, and SEAS only discounts, etc.. I know to some this may sound harsh, but its the only way I know to give a reason to join the club. I will give a few ideas some thought, and post again later.. Thanks for reading my rubbish!

Jason
Old 12/09/2007, 11:16 PM
Flatworms = reef herpes.

Location: Southwest Missouri, where everyone wants something for free.
Well, I'm not a member and I like to sell frags, is that a problem? What exactly do you pay for at the meetings? Everything I've always been to the past few years is that everyone has just pitched and and brought something, which is how I think it should be. Also, not to make a big deal out of nothing, but I don't really see someone making an even trade on some of the frags I have which is why I sell them to people who are willing to buy them which is there choice. Also, I wouldn't expect someone to trade me something that wasn't of equal value, it wouldn't feel right to me. I think it's nice that some local people have rarer corals that I can get locally and see them instead of buying them online from who knows where that might be carrying some type of disease, not to mention the whole shipping issue and nonwarrenty stuff. I understand that SEASL and SLASH have much, much larger clubs and fees and such are good for them because they can get enough money together and actually do something cool and the club can pay for it. However, SEAS is a bit small to be able to do that, and I think that this area can't really support something like that unless you charge a much higher fee. I remember that local LFS just used to donate items for the meetings, members where only allowed to win which was fine with me and it didn't cost the club anything. Maybe someone should post exactly where the money goes, that way a person can see how it's being spent. I understand things have been idle for a while and it'd be nice to get things going again, but I'm just not sold on the fee. I agree that $20 isn't squat, but other clubs charge people $5 for attending swaps. Now is that realistic to do here? Probably not, but you can always try and see what happens. I just don't like the perception of this being a 'members only club' and have never liked organizations like that. I also don't think that this is what Reef Central believes in, but again that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to start anything, I think I'm just speaking generally for a few people whom I've talked with. Again, this is just my opinion, I've been on this forum for 3 years and attending several meetings. I've always enjoyed the discussions, group buys, and ideas. I would just hate to have to 'buy' into the club for this to continue.
What's next, the big earthquake everyone's been talking about for years!

Last edited by aquaconnect; 12/09/2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:55 AM
SEAS President

Where does the $20 membership fee go?
Let me try to answer that one the best I can. The SEAS treasury in the past has helped pay for food at events, such as the frag swaps. The money has also gone to provide items for "door prizes" at such events. The money went to maintain theseas.org. Hosting on the site runs about $45.00 a year. Now, for the future, The treasury will be used to create membership cards, (Something some of the LFS'es have requested so they know who is actually a member, to recieve discounts), maintain the website hosting for theseas.org, provide food at events, and to provide door prizes at events. The money will also be used for future events such as purchasing corals for the frag demonstration we are currently planning, and the SEAS members will be able to take home "free frags" from the demonstration. to my understanding, the SEAS treasury has about $500.00 currently in it. Most of this money was collected when John Kelly was prez. This money came from membership fees and fund raisers. There was a SEAS garage sale, that collected more than half the money that is in the treasury. I do not wish to"lock" all the events out to only seas members, but I see no other way to make a reason to join the club. Quoting Hambandit:

" the main reason i havent "joined" is i didnt see why i should pay someone 20 bucks for nothing. i dont know where the money would go and as such i dont see the point."

Now, This statement prooves my point. The SEAS paid for things at the last frag swap I saw you at. You were not required to join to participate, but yet SEAS funds were still used at the event. Maybe you under the illusion that things in this world are free? I am not trying to upset anyone, I am just trying to figure out a way to have a reason to join. If the seas continue to do "everyone is invited" events, the treasury will be spent, and there will be no membership dues to replace it.. Then the club will be broke, and unable to help host such events. We have to have a way to replace spent funds, and the only way I see doing this, is either with fundraisers, or with membership fees. This my friends, is why the SEAS club has stalled. Why join when you can get the same things the members do for free? Thats common sense, and the whole reason we need tochange things. Dave, I know you have attended events as well. John Kelly told me once he did not know why you didn't ever join. Problem is you did not join because you could still reap all the benefits of being a seas member without having to join. $20.00 a year is not a lot of money, and any club I know of out there of any kind has membership fees to help with the associated cost of events. Basically, what I am trying to say, is if you plan to attend more than one event, becoming a member is the right thing to do to help support the events you are participating in. I feel the $20.00 a year membership fee is MORE than resonable. But then again, you will always have those who want something for nothing. I feel that if you attend more than one SEAS event a year, you should join the club. Its only right, and common sense. The way events are currently held, and the illusion some have that the SEAS money is not spent on these events, is what is keeping our club from being able to do the things that SEASL, and SLASH do. Their members obviously understand it takes money to hold events, and with the current thinking on our club, this will not be possible. The only way I see to change the thinking, Option 1 would either be to charge an "event fee" for non members participating in events that SEAS treasury money is used, or option 2, restrict the events to SEAS members only, which would be harder to do, and still get new members. Once the SEAS membership cards are complete, option one would be the easiest to control. Something like a $10.00 cover charge for a NON member to participate in a frag swap. If you go to more than one event a year, it would only make sense to join. I am not trying to force people into joining that do not want to for whatever reason, I am trying to protect the club from those who take advantage of the so called "free" events. Once the SEAS site is back up, ALL reciepts will be scanned, and displayed in a "financial" area of the site, showing where ALL seas funds are spent. I have sold frags myself at frag swaps, and see nothing wrong with it, but those who use a SEAS event to profit from the sale of such frags, should pay membership dues.. after all, it is the SEAS club that organized the event, and got your "customers" all together at the same place for you.

Jason
Old 12/10/2007, 08:19 AM
SEAS President

One more thing to note..The NON-members are the only ones that seem against it.. Just an observation...

Jason
Old 12/10/2007, 10:51 AM
Flatworms = reef herpes.

Again, I'm not against it. I think to quote you "Dave, I know you have attended events as well. John Kelly told me once he did not know why you didn't ever join. Problem is you did not join because you could still reap all the benefits of being a seas member without having to join." is a little out of line. What benefits have I reaped? I haven't taken one frag, bought one frag, or eaten one thing at ANY of the meetings I have been to. Is this RC forum for SEAS members only? Again, my post was not in any form any type of complaint. Back when I lived in Aurora, I was going to join and never did. I went to the Forehan's house as my first meeting, everyone was going to go to a behind the scenes tour of Bass Pro, and I didn't go, nor pay my dues. The the club cooled off and there weren't any events. Then when I was going to join last year too many people said I was partners with Matt who was a business, and that it would be a conflict of interest, when in fact I had nothing to do with Matt's store and gave him frags of my stuff for free to sell for his own gain as to help my best friend stay in business because he was struggling and the store was his only and main income, so I never joined then because that made me very angry that people couldn't understand that and you or anyone else is more than welcome to as Matt about that. But I guess that that is in the past, and I've moved on, and was ready to join, just waiting for the opportunity. The only SEAS meeting I have been to since was the one you guys had a Fish's, and the only reason I was there was because I went with Troy to Ocean's Zen to help set up his calcium reactor, and I didn't know that we were going to stop by there, which is why I didn't participate. So what exactly is the deal. You want my $20, then fine I don't have a problem paying it. I was just trying to give you feedback from my side as a non SEAS member and my particular situation. Give me a paypal address, your address, or phone number and I'll give you my money tonight tonight. Like I said before, it's not the money that's the issue, nor is it anything like that, it's what I previously mentioned. I have nothing to gain as an individual, but like helping people out as much as I can. I could care less about getting something from someone else. I'm happy with what I got and am willling to help those that want it, which is why I suggested some type of calling chain for bad weather. I'll even donate a Tyree Watermelon frag as a raffle at the next meeting for you. So take this post as you will, I mean nothing negative about what I wrote, except for the quote about reaping benefits, which I don't agree with at all.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

well, I think we are making positive progress. The question that I still have is, What does everyone want out of a club? Is it association? Knowledge? fun? meeting? money? corals? or what? what I was looking forward to gain from a club was hanging out with people that have the same passion and interests that I do. (frags are just a extra) We all know how hard it is to explain to someone else why we spent $50 on a fish or whatever. I am still not sure what other people want from a club?
Old 12/10/2007, 12:49 PM
SEAS President

As far as people saying you were a partner with Matt was before my time. Matt supported the club as well. Actually, if it was not for Matt, I would have not even known about the SEAS club. I have nothing against the LFS'es taking part in the club, and would have no objection to them becoming members if they wish to do so. By "reaping the benefits of the club" I mean attending gatherings organized by the club. If i remember correctly, at the frag swap you didn't know you were going to, you helped out a fellow SEAS member by giving him some Phosban media (a cool move in my book). But, I am trying to get a handle on the SEAS club, which at the moment is a loose knit, un-organized organization. the club funds host and co-host several events throughout the year. Without these funds, we cannot have the events we have. For us to make the club grow, we need to hold more events, and have regular monthly meetings. For this to happen, we need to have the money to fund them. Currently, as I said before, the club has about $500.00. The events that I have taken part in cost about $100.00 an event. Not a huge amount of money, but at this pace, we will be able to hold about 5 more events, and the club will be broke, and unable to host anymore events.. but at the same time, If we don't spend money hosting events, people loose interest, and the club would not have the opportunity to gain new members, who's membership fee would be spent on future events. Basically, What I am trying to say is, without new members, the club cannot grow from its currently idle state. With more members, we would be able to host more events, have more prizes at those events, and be able to host events such as the coral frag demonstration, which will be based on SPS, LPS, and soft corals. The members will be able to take frags home free (at the cost of the club). I don't think it is fair for the paying members to support events using their treasury money over and over again, for the same people to show up that are not members, and "don't see the benefits in joining". I know I enjoy the events the club hosts, even though there are not many these days, but it is definatley worth $20.00 to me to be able to participate. I don't want people to think I am trying to single people out by my statements, I am just trying to figure out a way for the club to continue to host events, and not have the club go broke,... which at the pace it is going.. wont take long. So, I feel a "cover charge" for non members would be appropriate at future events. Now, this is just a guess, but I would say the last two events I have been to (One at my house, one at Fish's store) had at least 50% NON members show up. If we charged a $10.00 NON member cover charge (to be split with the establishment hosting the event) at each event, this plus the yearly membership dues should be enough to offset the costs of hosting or co-hosting an event, as well as creating a reason for people to join. Right now, at this exact moment in time, I can say the only benefit of being a member is a 10% discount at Midwest Exotic Imports, which I greatly that Fish for doing. However, to a lot of people, this is not enough of a reason to join. This is the only solution I can come up with to be able to continue to hold such events, and be cost effective to the club.

Jason
Old 12/10/2007, 01:06 PM
Flatworms = reef herpes.

I deleted what I said as to not cause tension or try to start anything due to a PM I received from someone stating that that was my plan, which wasn't and for those that read it, I'm sure you understand.

I'd just like a place to go w/no commentments and talk shop and where people don't judge or talk about others behind his/her back, yet can say what you believe w/o getting harrassed or someone twisting it to tick someone else off. Gees, this is a fun hobby and no one has all the knowledge we need to save our reefs. Otherwise they would work for the governement and help our planet. People aren't always going to get along, but a person has to see both sides of the story when reefing and talking about what works and doesn't work. Just like raising kids, every reef setup is different, and how a person wants to proceed is his/her choice. What works for one, may not work for all, that's how we all learn. I'm still learning! I enjoy BYOB and think that should be rule #1!

Good luck with the SEAS.

Last edited by aquaconnect; 12/10/2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12/10/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Boy, I'm not on for one evening and look how much happens! I hate to see all the bickering. On the other hand I suppose it is good to get everyones opinion so the club can be even better this time around!
I personally, will give my 20.00 and hope we can make something happen with these funds, instead of waiting until the club becomes "good enough" However, Im not saying this is the right way to go for everyone and I do believe the club should remain open for everyone. If participation isnt high enough then we can nix it but I believe if the club turns into "something" "they will come"
Aquaconnect raises some good points and Im sure everyone has complaints so lets make the club something to be proud of and address these things..... (in a real meeting members and potential members)
So, again, I say we have a count on who will come: Looking thru the posts I count four who say they are interested not counting trigger> who I assume could be talked into it
I dont assume to understand the problems as I have not been a member but monthly meetings, fragging demnstrations, group trips, and some reef talk sounds great to me! Ive had enough fun with the few of you I talk with.... how would a whole group be
Old 12/10/2007, 01:41 PM
Flatworms = reef herpes.

Oh, and rule #2, my wife isn't allowed to attend!

BTW, you are more than welcome to that Tyree frag to have a silent auction to raise money for the club. It's 1"X 1 1/2" so a good sized frag and should help the club out some.
Old 12/10/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

FYI> I would be happy to donate some frags. I dont have a lot of fancy stuff yet. But non the less....
Old 12/10/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Hey, two pages now this is a discussion~ LOL