Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

there are tons of Red Sea users in the nano section here on Reefcentral. go there. there is alot of information there for ya.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

To raise the level in the skimmer to the rim (without the cup on) I added live rock rubble to the left exit chamber in the skimmer. This slows the exiting water enough to raise the level. I will see how it works long term.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

And trimming the skimmer down a bit doesn't look to be all that difficult. You just want to ensure you leave enough material to keep the pump just above the bottom.

But adding the live rock rubble seems like a helluva good idea - I can't believe I didn't think of that. My RSM Skimmer is lucky to get 1/2" of skimmate per week. I do about 20% weekly water changes in it, so surely that's part of it - but the thing is inconsistent as he11.

And almost forgot, yeah I wish they would've done T5's instead of these quasi-PC/T5 "things". I went 7 months with my original bulbs and started to get a cyano infestation. New bulbs were like night/day difference from the "worn out" ones. Thing is, are there any T5 bulbs shorter than 2'?

Last edited by Warmart; 12/31/2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Warmart what kind of bulbs did you replace the orriginals with
Old 12/31/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

I think at this point there is only one replacement I know of. Not sure if the various bulb companies are in the market to make generics yet. My guess is going the proprietary route was on purpose to make money on the replacements. A lot of industries do this.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Yah I used official RSM replacement bulbs. I don't even know if any other PC bulbs would fit.

Not looking forward to another replacement in 6 months.

Would definitely buy a true T5 refit, if one became available.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

that is the stuff I dont like not being able to utilize other companies bulbs etc what if they decide they wont make that bulb anymore then your out a whole hood works something I never gave thought to till you said it
Old 01/01/2008, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Overall, for the price, I wouldn't recommend the RSM. Yes my tank is beautiful, but you're too limited in what you can keep - and what you can change.

If it was $200-300 cheaper (for stand & tank) it would be worth it.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

I have a 250 watt MH fixture coming sometime this week. I will post pics and my thoughts on it after it comes. The RSM looks great, its a nice clean look but like any "all in one system" there are always short comings from some of the items. I build all my computers from the ground up for this reason, I should of known better than to do it with a tank. But honestly I am pretty happy with the tank, could there be better things added or came with it, sure... But the look is great and for a "noob" so to speak the tank is really perfect if you think about it. Its those of us who want to add or know a little more that make us dangerous and the RSM look not so perfect.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I also am a pc technician and build from ground up but I wish you could buy this tank and stand empty with a higher power lite hood so that you could then make a sump for it and not use the space they did for the built in system on it.
I also am waiting to see the new 39 gallon coming out sometime this month from them as the 5 gallons extra is nice addition. And do let us see that halide upgrade when you get it and how it does and if you can make photos of the upgrade in progress.