Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

The guy had a problem with a product. I'm pretty sure he tried the place where he bought them from and no luck there. You think everyone knows of Roger and the Tunze forum? You're out of your mind.
It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. This is a forum for resolving just such issues (among many others) and dragging a companies name through the mud is exactly what should've happened. He's got a two page thread based on the title of this topic AND I bet he found a better solution for having named it so.
A company as reputable as Tunze needs not worry about the title of a forum topic like this to ruin any business.
It's the consumer who needs the attention, not Tunze.
If a place as well managed as Tunze
Old 12/12/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Make that three pages.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:14 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

The OP is getting his issue resolved by sending his pumps to Roger for repair.

So now its time for a group hug -

Too old for women to care
Old 12/12/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Maybe before flaming people you should have contacted RVitko on RC.

I recently had an impeller stuck in one of my streams and he replied to my email immediately and we have it handled.

Behind only reefgeek, Tunze has the best CS in our hobby.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Just wanted to add to this and say the mounts on my NanoStrea 6045 pumps have cracked, and after reading through this thread and checking out the Tunze forum I contacted Roger, who replied in less than 24h. So far Tunze is getting an A+ for customer service from me (and they get a similar grade for the pumps, which are fantastic IMO).
Old 12/12/2007, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishysteve
Lol, hilarious!

....and I have to say I've bought Tunze products for years and Roger has always been amazingly helpful and responsive.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Roger replaced the cracked C bracket on my nano stream, no questions asked a few months ago. Didn't even have to ship him the old part. I'm still not happy with the cheap material used on the brackets, especially the tiny, easily broken clips that secure it to the magnet, but Roger's CS is fantastic.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

I also had my Tunze 6025 bracket break and emailed Roger. Within a week he had sent me a new bracket. It does annoy me a little that they didn't properly test out the product before selling it to us high paying customers.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:08 PM
Hulkamaniac

Title of thread could have read Problem with Tunze please help.
You seemed to have barked up the wrong tree if tarnishing their image was your goal. I'm surprised as a buisiness owner you acted that way.

Anthony
amm 0
phos 0 salifers
Calcium 450 salifer
alk 11 dkh

Ph 8-8.1
Old 12/12/2007, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

The title of this thread was how I felt at the time... And judging by the responses people have varied opinions on the subject.

It was never meant to tarnish tunze's image???

I was looking for answers and this is the purpose of Reef Central??? If you offended by tunze sucks, I'm sorry..

Before you pass judgement on me read the whole thread. I have stated several times I will see how things work out. And yes I've been in contact with Roger. And hope to send the pumps, all 3 of them out tomorrow.

Being a business owner does make me above anyone. I still make mistakes like anyone else. This is how we learn and use the knowledge for future decisions...

Rick
Old 12/12/2007, 03:39 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by DT's_Reef

....and I have to say I've bought Tunze products for years and Roger has always been amazingly helpful and responsive.
And if you recall, I bought my first one from YOU, after you'd used it for 30 days. I remember thinking to myself "OMG, I can't believe I spent over $200 for a powerhead!" (Tunze Turbelle) That pump ended up lasting me 4 to 5 years, even being converted by Roger into a Stream 6100. All I had to do was swap out a couple of parts and the power supply and I had way more flow.
Old 12/12/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Roger is really great and Tunze has an amazing customer support everywhere.

I live in Brazil and I bought a 6045 in Canada that had a problem. I emailed Tunze in Germany and they immediatly asked to the Brazilian dealer to replace it. I really don´t know many companies with such nice customer support.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:07 PM
RC Mod
RC Sponsor

I have debated replying to this thread most of the day and I hesitate to do so but I want to address several issues brought up here.

First off the Nano Stream. I apologize for our flaws early on with releasing this pump. Contrary to many posts about testing and inadequate research we really did everything I think we could. I had a beta model nearly one year before they ever came out and I never found any of these issues. We were in uncharted water with this pump as it was a radical departure from our past pump designs. Generally our products slowly evolve so change is slow, one or two parts. With something that was new from the ground up there were bound to be problems but we have solved them. The clamps were the last major issue and the clamp was completely redesigned about 2 months ago. Anyone who got a clamp after mid September got a new one and I have not seen one break, we changed the plastic and thickened the tabs. It was never our intention to sell a faulty product and at great expense we are doing everything we can to make it right.

Regarding the issue at hand, no, it never makes my day to see a thread like this. I am a very fair person and Mr. Tunze and his father before him are people I have always admired and considered close friends and we really all try our best. I can understand being upset and I cannot explain why no one responded to your email. Normally emails sent to the English portion of the site come to me but it has happened before where the server crashes or they are misrouted to dead end email boxes. I will take care of these issues but to be fair we don't know the cause and I think people need to hold off judgement because we don't know. I am not saying it is not our fault or responsibility but it could be any number of things including power surges or just a jammed prop assembly or even water damage. Keep in mind we are dealing with pumps with electronics not just simple electromagnetic coils, they are generally very reliable but many things could go wrong compared to a simple synchronous pump. Just try to keep things in perspective, the forum I run here is a tech support forum, no one is going to write about how great there pumps are because there is no reason to, people only write when they need help.

I cannot answer for other Tunze distributors and how they do things, I do work very hard. The Tunze family are close friends of mine, I work on the product development team, I probably have a lot more personally invested than other distributors in the world. I think in general though we have good distributors world wide, this has been a particularly difficult year. For years we struggled just to get enough product and beyond the problems of the nano stream, this year was complicated by a tremendous amount of growth and reorganization to improve the product supply. More than 15 new employees were added at the factory and several thousand more square feet of factory area and a separate machine shop. We also lost some key employees and yes, sometimes product quality suffered as a result. Sometimes I think many of us feel we can't win for trying, we get yelled at for delays and then we rush and get yelled at for the flaws. Things have finally settled out with all the employees experienced and trained and new QC procedures but we still have to take care of our past mistakes. I personally look to the light at the end of the tunnel and see the progress but I do occasionally get frustrated and I can see how many distributors would be quite fatigued at this point. All I ask is that you give me chance, if someone is fair with me I have no reason to not reciprocate.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"
Old 12/12/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I'm a customer service manager and can tell you that the fact of the matter is, any large company, including Tunze will always have customer service problems. They sell far to many pumps, have too many people in too many countries to prevent cases like the one stated in this thread. That said, a few good people in any company, like Roger from the sounds of it can give that company a different outlook on consumers. Kudo's to Roger for that. And if he ever decides to get into the cell phone market...I'd have a job for him

That said I'm going with a closed loop as opposed to a Tunze Set up. However from hearing about Roger and reading this thread, I'm going to be looking for Tunze products to use in my set up.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I have never owned a Tunze product but heres my .02 cents on ANYTHING you buy including Tunze. Things you buy today are MASS produced.You can buy a $2 screwdriver from Wally world or a $20 Snap-On one and the $2 one can outlast the $20 one. Its all falls down to we have PPL building these things and believe it or not WE do make mistakes. Think of it this way has the car you drive ever had a recall even though you bought a $80,000 cadillac and had to have it worked on things canand do happen no matter what the cost or name is
Old 12/13/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

yeah well...I'm another unhappy customer... I just got a TUNZE 9010
and for 300+ it's cheap plastic junk! I think I'm going to upgrade to a
Corallife Super Skimmer 220 I found one on sale for $166 I saw the TUNZE powerheads and liked them but now I'm going for the HK 2's or 3's. they say you get what you pay for and in this case if I buy hi end I expect hi end IMHI
Old 12/13/2007, 02:43 AM
TRC Leader

I'm glad you saw this thread Roger, and your response was exactly what I would have expected you to write.
Old 12/13/2007, 05:51 AM
Reef Tank Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'm glad you saw this thread Roger, and your response was exactly what I would have expected you to write.
Roger has done me right a few times when I have contacted him.

Always top-notch service from him, ALWAYS!

Thanks Roger!

Some of us do appericate very much what you do!

Because of how well you've treated me, I stand proudly behind my tunze products!

Old 12/13/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

d

Last edited by wartskin; 12/13/2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, the Tunze product looks super nice, but for the money damn, get a Sea-Flow mod kit for the Maxi's, hella good stream! I love mine!
Old 12/13/2007, 08:32 PM
Girls Rule!

Roger has always treated me really well. Thanks Roger!
Old 12/13/2007, 10:41 PM

Love my Tunze 6201's! I was so impressed by the first one, I had to buy another.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

Very happy with my Tunze TS12 kit. And Marine Depot's CS when it came to working with Chip at Euro Reef to swap out my pinwheel on my Euro Reef skimmer. I'm sure Tunze would have done the same thing after reading this post. Get in touch with some one at a well named company and they will work to make you happy.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

I am a proud owner of three 6100's and a controller for a year and a half - Zero problems running 24/7, Tunze's don't suck people suck (some), people don't realize that the higher end products require high end service and I feel that Roger is handling the situation as to be expected professionally and curtious. I should be so lucky, good job Roger.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Tunze USA is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. This includes non aquarium businesses. I have never once been unsatisfied with a product or the support.