Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Tier Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

My new 120 build thred

Well as the day is coming to an end at work and I'm stuck waiting for some things to finish before I can go home I thought that I would start with my very first build thread. This will be and upgrade from a 54 corner bow front. The tank is a standard size 120 (24x24x48) with AGA mega flow overflows. As of right now that is the only thing that is really set in stone.

MY plans are to make the stand hold everything for the tank. A fuge, sump, skimmer, calcium reactor, remote DSB, auto top off, frag tank, one or two other remote "nanos" and some other goodies that I cant think of off the top of my head right now.

It will be a closed loop, my goal being to keep as much hardware out of, or completely hidden from view as much as possible. I am working on making a 3d drawing of my rough ideas to help you guys see my vision. This will be the biggest tank I have ever owned so I will be looking for as many suggestions as I can get. I have been on here reading for about a year plotting and planning and when I found a deal on the tank I couldn’t pass it up.

I will try to post some pictures of every step that I take (I'm at work right now so I'll throw the first set on when I get home) The first step will be to clean the glass and overflows to get them shiny and looking new. I think I’m going to start with a glass scrapper I found and for the overflows some white vinegar a vengeance.
Old 11/03/2007, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like the start of a nice system. I look forward to seeing the project develop. Good luck on your journey.
Old 11/03/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Lanceafer,
I am just up the road if you would like some ideas on setting up your system let me know Who knows You might find something interesting...
Old 11/07/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Sorry it has taken so long to make my next post but things got a little crazy here because my brother just got back from a 15 month tour in Iraq. So as you can imagine we are going crazy around here. Anyway enough excuses now for the pictures right?

(I’m not sure if this will work I’m still fighting with it a little.)
[IMG][/IMG]

In the picture you can see a little section that is about 2 inches of the silicone that is peeled back from the glass. It dose not go all they way to the seem but was far enough in to make me wonder if I should do something about it. What do you think? Its in about the middle of the tank. I was thinking that I might be able to cut it away slightly and the re-apply some new silicone, would that be an option?

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is as good a FTS as you will get for the time being. As you can see it needs a little cleaning. Just showing this one so that you can be impressed with my progress .

[IMG][/IMG]

And finally a FTS of my current setup. Sorry about the crappy shot but hey its a little cannon elph so I was just happy that the colors were fairly true to life. I’m still trying to figure out how to take a good picture of a corner tank.
Old 11/07/2007, 01:54 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

Looks like it is going to be a very nice setup! One of my favorite tanks of all time is a 120, http://mistressreef.homestead.com Your corner tank looks really nice too! Good luck with the build!!