Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 04/04/2005, 02:02 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Ah. I really wish there was a more elegant solution for this situation, because I'd make one myself. I guess a black acrylic tower in the center could house the anti-siphon solution, merely to hide it. Or to make something on the end to house and hide it, but it would steal one edge or at least ruin the simple symmetry.
It gets coralline covered rather quickly. Anything that doesn't come exactly from the center of the tank and allow absolutely balanced flow will result in the surface not being smooth.... which is part of the whole point of such a tank.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Cheri
Old 04/05/2005, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

no thread jacking if fine with me.. hehe.. i'd like to see more pics of your tank cheri.

i have a check valvue built and used it for a few months. i have since replaced the pump to the clam tank and removed it. still haven't come up with anything great. but i have something i'm trying. i'll post pics of it when i get it finish.

will post pics of the tank soon. swamped with work( haven't had time to clean the glass)
Old 04/25/2005, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

ok.. i've finaly had time to install the piece i built to make the surface smooth... will have pics up later tonight.
Old 04/25/2005, 01:20 PM
TRC Leader

Excellent!
Old 04/25/2005, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

the tank is dirty. it reflects a yellowish color cuz it needs to be cleaned.
Old 04/25/2005, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

just a few other shots

Old 04/25/2005, 07:35 PM
VILP

Congratulations! It looks like your design achieved the nice smooth flow that you were aiming for. Your design is quite different than the one my husband came up with, so now we have two ways to eliminate reliance on a check valve while still maintaining smooth water flow over the sides.

Cheri
Old 04/25/2005, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

it's removeable.
if it ever gets dirty or clogged it just pulls right off. i've also made a few short ones too. to put in place when i have people over so you don't see the pipe.

i made the cuts at a downward angle to force the water down. with the pump open full blast the water surface is still ripple free.
Old 04/25/2005, 10:05 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, that is excellent. By it being removable, I'm going to assume that it will leak a tiny bit when the pump is off. If the base was glued into a threaded fitting, you could apply teflon tape and screw it in to maintain integrity, and yet swap them out like you stated for guests.

I like it.
Old 04/25/2005, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Marc.. it is glued to a threaded fitting. the cap on top is not glued on so i can clean it if i gets clogged or dirty.
Old 04/25/2005, 10:57 PM
TRC Leader

Makes sense. Good thinking.

Now go clean your tank. And order more snails for that algae outbreak.
Old 05/07/2005, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Wow, what an inspirational thread. I've never seen anything like that before, and now I'll probably stay up half the night trying to think of another solution for the back-siphon problem. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

just wondering - how is your mod working after 1 year? Antmor feedback? I am thinking about getting a zero edge too.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 01/08/2008, 09:48 PM
Team RC Member

this threads about 3 1/2 years old, and i think the OP broke the tank down a few years ago

------------------------------------------------
Old 01/11/2008, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

awesome tank - wish I had seen this sooner... hmmmm, wonder where they got the idea for Zero Edge (hehe).