Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

how to get tank raised clowns to host

I recently purchased 2 8 month old true percs. However, they arent hosting with my anenome at all. How do I get my clowns to host?
Old 01/04/2008, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

put on some barry white and dim the lights.

i'm not sure if you can get them to host , mine just one day decided to host my open brain. o.O
Old 01/04/2008, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

my clown took about 6months, and it just figured out by itself
now it won't leave the anenome any more except for feeding
Old 01/04/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Mine just decided to host one day in a buch on my fuzzy mushrooms odd I know . . . I have heard the clowns will host in almost in anything . I not sure how to make them host. I a lot of stuff I read as well just says just one day that starting host in my whatever.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Eventually it should happen on it's own. If you are that concerned about it, there are a few things you can try. Before my clowns found the anem, the swam in place all night long, usually at one end of my tank. While you don't want to stress them out, I found it fairly easy to coax them along by dragging my net towards them. I would usher them over towards the anemone, and they would stay there. I did this a couple times for a few nights, and then woke up one morning to find them in the anemone. If you do it this way, don't physically push them into the anemone. They get stung just like any other fish, and you want them to find it on there own.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

I've heard also that people have had succes by taping a color picture of clowns hosting in an Anemone up on the glass near where you have your Anemone.

Since clowns are territorial they will see the 'intruding' clowns and spend alot of time in the area defending their turf. Pretty soon the Anemone becomes their turf.

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to since I've had my BTA for a few weeks and thusfar no hosting has occurred.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I have 3 tank raised false percs that dould not host in anything for about 18 months. One day I come home from work and they are hosting in my Xenia....all three together. Then a couple of weeks ago when a pair started to form, the pair moved out of the Xenia and into a small Sebae that's been in the tank since before they were in there. I have no idea what made them move....I dunno, maybe it was the love
Old 01/04/2008, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I had heard that tank raised clowns don't have the immunity against the anemone and that it takes them a while of being close to the anemone so that it gets developed.

I hate spreading false information so treat this as rumor only!!

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed true?
Old 01/04/2008, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Anemone fish (often called clown fish) are able to develop immunity to the stings of anemone whether they are wild caught or tank raised. However, not all anemone fish will "host" (actually associate with) in all anemones. Different species of anemone fish associate with different species of anemone.

The idea of hanging a picture is an interesting one. If someone does that, please report back.

~Steve~