Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/07/2008, 09:27 PM
Girls Rule!

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Once the DI is spent it will actually add stuff to the water, thats what could be causing your TDS readings to be high.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:58 PM
Girls Rule!

No idea!
Old 01/07/2008, 10:22 PM
Girls Rule!

Monday Update!

Today we went shopping for our granite counter tops. We got a chance to goto a factory that cuts them onsite and got to pick out the exact slabs that we wanted.

It was pretty interesting to see how big their operation was and their selection. They used big cranes to pull out huge sections for us to look at.

Photos of their factory where they cut the granite.

And two hours later! What we chose =) They are going to measure on Wednesday and install within two weeks =)
Old 01/07/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Don't mind me asking what brand of cabinets you are going to use?
Old 01/07/2008, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Very nice NG, Granite is definitely the way to go. We chose granite for our kitchen upgrade and after a year we are still impressed at it's beauty. Very earthy / natural looking and has been very durable.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

What a perfect missed opportunity for some action shots! You could have been skating across the granite or dangling from one of the giant cranes!

That's awesome that they brought you inside to see the works. They must have been secret admirers...
Old 01/07/2008, 11:41 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bower23
Don't mind me asking what brand of cabinets you are going to use?
That's a good ? I don't even remember the name of them... it was whatever the builder had. Sorry.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:42 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
Very nice NG, Granite is definitely the way to go. We chose granite for our kitchen upgrade and after a year we are still impressed at it's beauty. Very earthy / natural looking and has been very durable.
Thanks That's good to know. Did you treat your granite with anything? I heard something about a sealer.. never had granite so I don't know.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:46 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
What a perfect missed opportunity for some action shots! You could have been skating across the granite or dangling from one of the giant cranes!

That's awesome that they brought you inside to see the works. They must have been secret admirers...
LOL... maybe... but my action shot days are over! I told you I passed the crown to your wife =) lol
Old 01/08/2008, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Whew! For a second there I thought those were photos of your new fish room.

Phil
Old 01/08/2008, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

G'day Ng,

Are you able to get caesar stone instead of granite? I can only tell you based on prices in Australia, that's it's a little dearer in price, but is a hell of a lot better a product than granite.

It's a nice finish, looks similar in a sense (I like it better), and healthy than granite. It does not absorb any of the bacteria's that granite can. I've spoken to cabinet makers here, and they recommend it, and prefer to install it for the above reasons, not just because it's a little extra in cost.

As for your Ro/Di units, I can't believe you have to cut in your own tee's. Geez we get it good here in Australia Mine comes already to go. When photobucket comes back online, I'll post a pic for you.

Cheers

Chris
Old 01/08/2008, 06:03 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Whew! For a second there I thought those were photos of your new fish room.

Phil
lol =)
Old 01/08/2008, 06:05 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
G'day Ng,

Are you able to get caesar stone instead of granite? I can only tell you based on prices in Australia, that's it's a little dearer in price, but is a hell of a lot better a product than granite.

It's a nice finish, looks similar in a sense (I like it better), and healthy than granite. It does not absorb any of the bacteria's that granite can. I've spoken to cabinet makers here, and they recommend it, and prefer to install it for the above reasons, not just because it's a little extra in cost.

As for your Ro/Di units, I can't believe you have to cut in your own tee's. Geez we get it good here in Australia Mine comes already to go. When photobucket comes back online, I'll post a pic for you.

Cheers

Chris
Thanks for the info. I really like Granite so that's what we went with. I don't like the look of some of the other engineered products. That might change if the granite care is more then I hoped for in a few years =)

Yea, when we bought the RO/DI unit we didn't know much. We got it off ebay. Oh well!
Old 01/08/2008, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

No worries, just a suggestion

When I bought my ro/di unit, i just looked on the forums. But I must admitt, I haven't seen any in the states with a similar set-up
Old 01/08/2008, 08:34 AM
TRC Leader

I'd like to see what yours looks like, Chris. I've been contacted many times by hobbyists in AU telling me that they can't find RO/DI systems in their country. I've always thought that couldn't be true.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
LOL... maybe... but my action shot days are over! I told you I passed the crown to your wife =) lol
Nanogurl, this is his wife. I already told you - I still need some competition or a partner in crime!!!
Old 01/08/2008, 06:30 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
Nanogurl, this is his wife. I already told you - I still need some competition or a partner in crime!!!
I like the partner in crime idea! lol =)
Old 01/08/2008, 10:13 PM
Team RC Member

insert little smiley guy with 1 eyebrow raised LOL
Old 01/08/2008, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Hey NG,

Thanks for the tip on the food. Clowns have a gourmet buffet now!

Oh, aside from the tank I also have this beauty-- remembering a past post I think you might appreciate her, LOL

Old 01/09/2008, 12:01 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBDC
insert little smiley guy with 1 eyebrow raised LOL
hehehe (:
Old 01/09/2008, 12:02 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Schwe
Hey NG,

Thanks for the tip on the food. Clowns have a gourmet buffet now!

Oh, aside from the tank I also have this beauty-- remembering a past post I think you might appreciate her, LOL
lol your welcome =)

That's a pretty ball!
Old 01/09/2008, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'd like to see what yours looks like, Chris. I've been contacted many times by hobbyists in AU telling me that they can't find RO/DI systems in their country. I've always thought that couldn't be true.
G'day Marc,

No worries here's 2 pictures of mine, the first is the unit,

And the second is a close up of the tap that allows you to use or not the Di section of the filter. As it is now, I'm using the Di, turn it 90 degrees left or right and you get Ro only.

This unit comes already set-up. If you are a member of one of the marine societies, then you get a discount as well.

Here's a link for the filters, ask for Peter Howard, top bloke.

PSI Filters

And here's a link for the local Forum, and to join for the discount,

MASA,Reefing the Australian way

Cheers

Chris
Old 01/09/2008, 11:29 PM
Girls Rule!

Wednesday Update!

Okay... well a lot has been going on over here behind the scenes and as most of you know we have been going back and forth on what to uprgade too and what we can afford and all that so i'm happy to say we have finally made our decision.

We are moving in March into a new house and the expenses from that have been a lot to deal with. We're not going to be able to do the 240g like we were thinking right now. so instead of going with a 125 (which i don't want) or a 180 (would still want the 240) we are going to go with the 120.

Ocean needs something bigger then the 75. He's done really well but I want to get him something bigger, and my hope is that he will live another couple of years happyily in the 120 and then at that point upgrade to the 240 if we can and keep the 120 for my eel tank. If any of you remember my older threads that was my goal from a long time ago. We went with the 75 only for now so we wouldn't have to move as large of a tank.

I think the 120 will be perfect for what we have at this point in our lives. I'm hoping within a few years the 240 will be more realistic, but if it's not then at least we have a 120 to enjoy which is my fav size tank (non nano) under 180g.

Ocean is still small and I think he will be happy in the 120 for a bit. I still believe a 6' tank is a much better option, but at this point I am hesitant on doing a 125 only bc of Ocean with how delicate tangs are and especially with a big move coming up.

(:
Old 01/09/2008, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Wednesday Update!

Okay... well a lot has been going on over here behind the scenes and as most of you know we have been going back and forth on what to uprgade too and what we can afford and all that so i'm happy to say we have finally made our decision.

We are moving in March into a new house and the expenses from that have been a lot to deal with. We're not going to be able to do the 240g like we were thinking right now. so instead of going with a 125 (which i don't want) or a 180 (would still want the 240) we are going to go with the 120.

Ocean needs something bigger then the 75. He's done really well but I want to get him something bigger, and my hope is that he will live another couple of years happyily in the 120 and then at that point upgrade to the 240 if we can and keep the 120 for my eel tank. If any of you remember my older threads that was my goal from a long time ago. We went with the 75 only for now so we wouldn't have to move as large of a tank.

I think the 120 will be perfect for what we have at this point in our lives. I'm hoping within a few years the 240 will be more realistic, but if it's not then at least we have a 120 to enjoy which is my fav size tank (non nano) under 180g.

Ocean is still small and I think he will be happy in the 120 for a bit. I still believe a 6' tank is a much better option, but at this point I am hesitant on doing a 125 only bc of Ocean with how delicate tangs are and especially with a big move coming up.

(:
Well I will be very interested in your 120 upgrade I was thinking of what fish I would like to add to mine when its ready and I am just not sure if its enough room for a couple of tangs. I have a yellow in my 65 now and its a model citizen but I have heard that they can be aggressive to other tangs in the tank unless they were the last tang added. Whats your timeline for the 120?