Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/31/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Hair Algae...YIKES!!

So my new 24 g aquapod has been sitting there with nothing but LR in it for about a month now and appeared to be doing very well (ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite all tested out at zero). But, I recently had a smallish outbreak of hair algae. Should I go through the hassle of taking out the rocks that have the algae on them and scraping it off, including some of the rock to get rid of the roots? Or, are there any inverts anyone could recommend that would eat the hair algae and take care of it? Also, is there really a disadvantage to not scraping the brown algae off the glass and just throwing in some nerites? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

A handful of Cerith snails and some small hermit crabs took care of the brown algae outbreak in my 75gal. in about 3 days. Ate every last bit.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

What about the hair algae?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:31 PM
Zoanthid collector

The Enemy...Some type of annoying algae!

The Conquerer...Lettuce Nudi

Fulfilling his orders

Round 1 goes to the Conquerer!

This is 5 hours after the first pic was taken.

Results of his previous job

Old 01/03/2008, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, DC. I'm in the process now of looking for one...
Old 01/03/2008, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

test
Old 01/03/2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

When I had some hair issues, I ended up getting an Algae Blenny, and this took care of the problem he seemed to eat all that I had and kept the tank in check. more info, The Sailfin/Algae Blenny is also referred to as Jewelled Rockskipper or the Lawnmower, Jeweled Blenny, or Rock Blenny. Its body is a mottled tan with blue dots and it shows tons of personality.
A well-established 30 gallon or larger aquarium with multiple swimming levels and plenty of rock is a suitable environment. It is not usually aggressive unless the tank mates appear to have a similar shape as it does. It is best to house singly unless kept in a larger tank and the two are a mated pair. It tends to perch and hop from rock to rock looking for microalgae to graze on. It is known to nip at small-polyped stony coral and clam mantles.

The Sailfin/Algae Blenny does best in well-established aquariums with large amounts of natural algae to feed on. The diet can be supplemented with vegetable matter, Spirulina, and herbivore preparations.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1" to 2"; Medium: 2-1/2" to 3"; Large: 3" to 5"