Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2006, 01:58 AM
840>420

G3 gatevalve incorrect??

hey i did the gate valve mod to my g3 today and it is going nuts filling the collection cup instantly. it is about 12" submerged. here is a picture of it. does it look right?

Old 09/04/2006, 02:22 AM
Carpe Noctem

It's a bad angle. The valve might be too high.
Old 09/04/2006, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

I agree, it may be a bad shot, but the elbow that goes to the valve seems to be parallel or higher than the joint of the main reactor tube. If thats the way it is thats going to be your minimum water level in the skimmer with the valve wide open. It would be much better to take the valve and place it verticaly right after the grey drain tube of the skimmer then do your elbow then T. This way you would create a bit of back pressure on the drain side. By doing this it will reduce the chance of the skimmer over filling and running out of the cup.

If you want to see what your minimum water level in your skimmer is, shut the pump off, open the valve all the way. Start the pump up. If the water level is any higher than the joint of the main reactor tube, your drainage from the skimmer is to high and your going to have a hard time getting it not to over flow. The lower it is in the main reactor , the better. The valve is to create some back pressure so the water level in the skimmer can be adjusted to it's optimum operating level. This is especially important when a pump shuts off and is restarted, this is when most skimmers tend to over flow. The lower the valve is placed on the drain side the better, the same goes for the drain tube after the valve the lower the better when using a gate valve to adjust the level in the skimmer, unless you need it higher to free flow the water over carbon or floss.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 09/04/2006, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

this is how mine is setup haven't started it but in 1-2 days i'm hoping

here's some instructions on setup

http://www.asmskimmer.com/mod1.htm
Old 09/04/2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Hey,
Quick question kinda off topic. Where did you find your gate valve? I've checked Home Depot and Lowes and all they sell are ball valves.
Thanks in advance,
Ken
Old 09/04/2006, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

I bought the hole kit from www.asmskimmer.com
but i'm sure you can find it else where for less
Old 09/04/2006, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I followed the link and looked in the mods section. Here is what they have to say:

Quote:
The gate valve mod is very easy to build. The hardest part is locating a PVC gate valve.
LOL. Don't I know it. I emailed them and asked if they would just sell me the valve.

Thanks again,
Ken
Old 09/04/2006, 10:45 AM
840>420

i actually finally found one at OSH. i was shocked to see they had one.
Old 09/04/2006, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

You can get the gate valve at www.usplastics.com $15:00 bucks
Old 09/04/2006, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Thanks all for the replies. I just ordered some from McMaster. It's a royal pain trying to adjust my skimmer with a ball valve!

Ken
Old 09/04/2006, 05:25 PM
Lamda Lamda Lamda

What is the purpose of the gate valve mod? I have a Euroreef, does it use the same mod?