Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/10/2004, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

id worm like please

Recently my capnella has withdrawn its polyps on close examination I found this ? worm wrapped around one of the branches, its about 1.5 inches in length, I'm affraid I chopped it in 2 whilst removing it with forceps.. I have spotted what looks to be the same ?worm amongst a montipora I have, should I also remove this or is the ?worm safe..

Heres a picture of each half..

..Tony
Old 06/10/2004, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

And the second photo..

Thanks for any help given

.. Tony
Old 06/10/2004, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

And the second photo..

Thanks for any help given

.. Tony
Old 06/12/2004, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Hi Tony,

Sorry, but the powers that be have decreed, without forewarning us, that images now must be posted in the Gallery. Please post your images there and link to 'em, and I will be glad to try to identify them. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 06/12/2004, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Ron

thanks for your time. Heres the picture of the worm wrapped around my capnella, any ideas what it is

..Tony
Old 06/12/2004, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tony,

The image is of a fragment of a polychaete annelid (aka "bristleworm") possibly in the group called the Family Syllidae. These are generally predatory worms (eating small bugs or other worms). It would be harmless to your coral, but it may live inside it as a commensal.
Old 06/12/2004, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

on this note, I'd seen my britleworms (I have probably hundreds of them in my tank) sticking out of the gravel, "spitting". It's like a dual-cannon of some white powdery seeming secretion? What is this, and why were they ejecting it last night? Seemed to be only the larger specimens, but I saw 3 of them do it in about 5 minutes.
Old 06/12/2004, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Sounds like a spawning event. The white "powdery" secretion is eggs, more than likely. Another phrase for this would be "coral food."
Old 06/12/2004, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

ahh. Hehe kewl kewl

I was wondering about that, but then in reading about the toxins in their bristles got to worrying. (since it was right after I'd fed the tank)

Just odd that it seems to dissolve throughout the water, but I guess if they're that small. . . It shoots out quite a ways really, straight up into the tank. But perhaps that's good then. .give other things something to eat.
Old 06/13/2004, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

They don't dissolve, they simply disperse. The males release sperm and the eggs get fertilized in the water and then develop there for several days, at least. If you back light your tank you can see these larvae as very tiny moving dots (any survivors, that is).

See here for some information and images about them.
Old 06/13/2004, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Wow, very kewl. Well, except that I already have hundreds if not Thousands of them in my tank. . .Hehe