Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

The day has finally come! Thanks to the hard work of Derek and Elka at Miracles the tank was delivered on Saturday.

I thought I would share a some pics. I didn't get any shots of us taking it off the truck, as it was all hands on deck. To get the 700 pound crate off of the truck, I rented a 24 foot truck with a lift gate and backed it up to the 53 foot trailer it came on. We pushed it onto the lift gate and lowered it to the ground. It worked like a charm.

Once we got it off the truck we rolled it to the garage on furniture dollies.

On and up the Genie lift it goes

Pushed into place

I filled it with the garden hose to leak test it. No Leaks! Ignore the wires over the tank. I'm still working on the T5's

I bought 1.5" ChemKor bulkheads through Miracles and they actually seem a little bit beefer than the 1.5" Hayward bulkheads I have. I really like them. The flange side inside the overflow is huge.

I also hung 160 feet of PVC in the basement for the overflow and returns. I need to take a few pics of it.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

Update Please. That is one great looking builds.

WreckDiver
aka: CyBrSuFr

Click the little red house for the latest tank picts

Old 11/29/2007, 12:42 PM
Keeper of Tangs

wow great build log!! your tank looks incredible!
Old 11/29/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

that is great. what you going to keep in that mini ocean?
Old 11/29/2007, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

cybrsufr & thor32766 - Thanks for the compliments.

TripleP - It will be barebottom with mostly SPS and a couple of clams. I'm working on my fish stocking list now.

I've been working on the plumbing and hope to have water in it by the weekend. I'll snap some pics tonight if I get more done.

My remaining plumbing parts from Savko arrived today so I should be able to get it finished up. My fishroom is in the basement and 40 feet away from the tank so I had to lay alot of pipe.

I ran four 40 foot sections of PVC:

1 - 1.5" Return
1 - 1.5" Drain
1 - 1.5" Emergency Drain
1 - 1.5" Future use

What is making the plumbing difficult is I'm not ready to take down the old sump and cabinets it sits on in the fishroom. So I have to run all of the plumbing to a temporary location for the new sump. I'm making the plumbing very modular (lots of unions and threaded fittings) so it will be easy for me to move the few pieces of PVC once I take down the old sump. I'll get some pics...
Old 12/12/2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

I finally got around to taking some more pics.

The plumbing is complete and the sump and tank are full of RO/DI. Everything has been leak tested, No Leaks!

Here is a pic of the plumbed drains

I had to show you how large the flanges are on these ChemKor bulkheads.

I put true union ball valves on the drains just in case I ever need to shut them down.

The drain runs through the floor. I cut an extra hole in case I ever need it.

I like using unions, in case I ever want to change something. This is the beginning of the two 40 foot runs of drain pipes.

Old 12/12/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

The four 40 foot runs of 1.5" PVC pipe. I spent more on pipe hangers than I did on pipe.

The business end of the plumbing. I still need one more union.

The return unions. I'm only going to use one.

The sump will eventually be where my old sump is. I stripped most of the values already from the old sump so it's almost ready to be removed. This is it's temporary home and temporary plumbing.

I ordered a Barracuda pump and week later found out ReeFlo is releasing their new Gold series which use less power and have higher flow rates. I was able to get my hands on the new Hammerhead Gold. Max Flow 5555 GPH, Max Head 23', Avg Draw 272 Watts. Not bad at all compared to the current Hammerhead. Here's a pic of the gold series. It uses a Marathon motor which is just as quiet as the Barracuda and it's the same size as the Barracuda. I got it running last night and it rocks.

I ordered a couple of Pacific Coast Flow Accelerators for the returns. I also ordered a couple of short bulkheads so the returns fit better through the Euro-brace. Regular bulkheads interfered with my light rack.

Tank full of water ready for salt. I had to use a couple of rocks to hold the starboard down.

I hope to paint the wall to match the rest of the room tonight and put the salt in. I got it get it cycling.

I got the new IceCap 250MH Ballast yesterday. I think I will eventually replace my older IceCap 250MH Ballasts with the new ones. They look cooler.... I'm also upgrading my 25W AquaUV sterilizer to a 57W UV sterilizer (bought the 57W transformer and bulb). The LumenMax III pendant will be here today. I will eventually use all LumenMax III's. To save a little now I will be moving my two ReefOptix III's from my 90G until I buy them.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Can we get more pictures of your plumbing from the tank through the floor? I'm in the process of designing a 125g on the first floor to a basement sump/refugium. I would like to get an idea of how you did this since I can't seem to decide on what I want to do. I'm afraid to drill through the carpet since the tank might eventually be taken down and/or moved and then I would be stuck with a bunch of holes in the carpet. Going through the wall and then down to the basement is also an option, but I don't want to tear the wall up if I don't have to. Just looking for some more opions really.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Im probably going to order a tank from Miracles. How do you like your tank?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 12/12/2007, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

mdaybowls - For this tank I just used a hole saw and went straight through the floor. I get some more pics. Since this is an in-wall I really don't mind the holes in the floor behind the tank. I agree if it was in my living room on a stand it may not look as nice. On my 90G I went through the drywall and through the bottom floor plate. I'll snap a picture for you.

mcliffy2 - I love my tank. It's built very well and the quality is excellent. Derek at Miracles is great to work with. Just have patience, it's not a fast process. Mine took a little longer because they were in the process of moving to a new building and I wasn't in a huge hurry. Good luck, you'll love it!
Old 12/12/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info jnecht. My tank will be on a stand in my office. But it won't be easily visible from either side. On one side there will be a wall and the other side will some office furniture. It is possible that someone could walk around and see it, but for the most part it won't be visible. And any pics you could post would be great.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Well the holidays have kept me busy. But, I am finally able to get around to providing an update.

I had to replace the regular bulkheads I was using for the returns through the euro-brace with shorter bulkheads. The taller ones interfered with my light rack. I got the short ones from AquaticEco and they work great. I didn't realize they were Hayward until I got them, which is always good.

Heres' the ends of the returns with Pacific Coast Flow Accelerators attached. I shortened the loc-line. I like the fact you can still angle them slightly. They're working great on the Hammerhead Gold. I used a Y just below the tank to split the returns. I also added the blue vinyl background to the return end. Miracles forgot to install it so they sent me a couple of pieces and told me how to apply it. It's very easy. Thanks again Derek.

I built my Durso standpipes. I may raise them up another inch. The water falls about 2 inches into the overflow. Which isn't bad but I want to see if I can quite them a little more.

After debating for sometime on how I wanted to run my UV. I decided to put it on the return. I know not everyone will agree with the placement. I upgraded my AquaUV 25W to a AquaUV 57W by buying a new transformer and bulb.

I got the new IceCap 250MH ballast and made an adapter to convert the IceCap plug to a Sunlight Supply plug.

I hung one of the SLS LumenMax 3's. The other two are on order. I was going to use my existing Reef Optix III's for a while but decided to just go ahead and change them now. I still have to clean up the wires for the T5's. I just got the IceCap harness extensions.

The wall is painted and ready for trim. The trim should be done in the next few weeks.

I also took the plunge and ordered two Vortech's WWD. I debated forever I whether to get Tunze's or Vortech's. I hope I made the right choice. I also got two Vortech Battery Backups so I can cut the power to them overnight to reduce the speed. Hopefully they will come up with a night option.

The only other item I would like to change is my skimmer. I am planning on running my heavily modded ASM G3 for a while. But I know it's not enough. I was originally thinking of going with the ATI Bubblemaster 250. But now I think I may go with the Reeflo ORCA 250. Thoughts?

I've also been eyeing the Geo Media Reactor 618. However I may end up making my own out of 6" PVC. We'll see. The Geo would be cooler.

Finally - rocks are cooking and salt is in the new tank. I should be able to take down the 90G soon. I'll be selling most of the 90G off so stay tuned...

Last edited by jknecht; 12/30/2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank! I will keep coming back for updates.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

great looking tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

great looking tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:08 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Very nice. I went with the Vortechs on mine and they're fantastic! I dont' think you'll be disappointed.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I am setting up the same tank size from Miracles also,

How large of a hole did you drill on your stand pipes?

I am at this point and not sure what size to drill.

Glad to here the vortech are working I am waiting for mine to arrive.

Did you custom make your light rail?

Nice tank

Brian
Old 12/31/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

WOW! great build. That's alot of pipe you have running. I will also be following your progress.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Wow!!
Old 01/01/2008, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Everyone - Thanks for the compliments

Me No Nemo - I look forward to getting the Vortechs. It seems almost everyone is happy with them.

Barky - I went with 2 5/8 inch holes to accommodate 1.5 inch Sch 80 bulkheads. If you don't need 1.5 right now you could still have them drilled for 1.5 and use reducing bushings.

I made the light rack out of 1 x 3 furniture grade pine so it would be nice and smooth then sprayed it with primer and oil based paint.

JRaquatics - I didn't think I was ever going to finish the pipe. I still have more to do once I move the old sump out and move the new one.

A little update - This weekend I ended up purchasing the GEO 618 Media Reactor instead of making my own. I also bought a Ranco Temp controller for redundancy to my AquaController III. I've had two Finnex Temp Controllers go bad on me (the digital and manual) so instead of spending money on things that continue to break I decided on the Ranco. I'll still use the 500W Finnex Heat tubes I have.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

i have the tank and slowly setting it up. i have the 1.5" stand pipes with a 2" drain.
Do you have your to drains tied together with a Tee or did you use a wye connection as I am getting a flushing effect, read that this happens if pvc is running lateral to each other. a slight slope to the lines supposedly will eliminate this.
also is the top of your tee not the cap at the bottom of the teeth of the overflo or is it above this. I couldnt tell from your picture angle.
Thanks Brian
Old 01/01/2008, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Im following this very closely as my system is going to be very similar - 225 Miracles, external overflow, rubbermaid sump, ATI BM 250 or Reeflo 200 or 250 (maybe Xtreme 250, depending on reviews), Vortechs are in the mail right now.

I have thought about doing the returns like yours as well and think that would work well with a wavyseas. Have you thought about this or will it not fit with your lights?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 01/01/2008, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Barky - I ran two 1.5 inch drains to my sump instead. I don't have any issues with the returns run that way. I would think the wye would be better than the tee. The top of the tee in the overflow is equal height to the bottom of the teeth.

mcliffy2 - Your going to love the 225 from Miracles. Congrats! I actually have a Wavysea on my 90G and have been debating whether or not to use it on the new tank. I think it would work fine attached to the euro-brace as the height of it with the hose connected is about 3.5 inches. The way I have the returns configured on the new tank make the height almost 5 inches. The Wavysea would allow you to lower the rack a little more. I figured I would get better flow (stronger flow) using Penductors and a couple of Vortechs than using the Wavysea with Vortechs. The Penductors alone have made the water very turbulent. I have used the Wavysea on the 90G for almost two years now and have always been a little concerned about the barb connection and the threaded cap. I get salt creep around the cap even though it's really tight. I don't mean to discourage the Wavysea, just my observations from owning one. I still may end up using it. I wish they made a version that could be hard plumbed with PVC like a OceansMotions.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

nice job
Old 01/02/2008, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

tagging along for this one!!! sweet set-up