Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Biological filtration for Quarantine Tank

I just finished reading a very informative link on Quarantine tanks.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

In the equipment section, the author talks about keeping a sponge in your main displays sump for a ready to use biological filter. Is he talking about a sponge for a HOB filter like a Aquaclear on a sponge for the air-stone like pictured in the article? Does most everyone agree that the sponge will not become a nitrate factory?

If I would do the sponge covered airstone, should I still do a HOB filter for carbon and other media?
Old 01/05/2008, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

This is a step to assure a fast setup on a QT tank if you ever need one. And for a tank that is in top condition , as it could increase your nitrate level.

In a new setup you need to add fish slowly and in balance with CUC and coral. Also dont want to QT a fish or coral then right before you place in the main add something else ,this defeats the purpose. Get a coral or 2 and a fish or 2 then QT then do it again all while adding CUC in between for cleanup.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

CUC?
Old 01/05/2008, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

CUC=cleanup crew , ie. snails , crabs , sand sfiters , ect..
Old 01/05/2008, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Bump.

Anyone else have thoughts about putting a sponge in their main display to have it preloaded with bacteria? Also, would any HOB filter work?
Old 01/05/2008, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Any HOB will work if it's big enough to handle the demand you put on it.
A sponge in the sump will not affect the Nitrate level anymore than anything else that converts Nitrite to Nitrate, like live rock.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

I kept a sponge in my sump for this purpose. It never had quite enough bacteria going to cover the qt tank's denitrification needs.

I now use some seeded crushed coral in the catridge bags of the hob filter and a few pieces of seeded rock from a fish only tank I keep. Obviously if I leave the rock in there during treatment I need to be careful where I put it later. I also run a little carbon when not treating.

I'm not woriied about nitrate or nitrite in the qt tank since it is only used for fish and keeping these media do not add to nitrate load in the main system. I don't necessarily think keeping a sponge would add much nitrate .As long as it was submerged I don't see how it would differ from rock or substrate relative to nitrate production.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I am thinking about using this for a 15 gallon QT tank.
http://www.current-usa.com/subcurrent.html
Old 01/08/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Cool device, I haven't seen that one before.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:37 AM
Mortar Target

I don't use a sponge, I use Eheim bio-filter media inside a mesh bag. Same concept though.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...iological.html