Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Great colors, I do natural light some days for a few hours and the corals do look best with sunlight, as do the fish. Nice tank and corals! PAR grid is interesting, need to get a hold of one of those.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:34 AM
AEFW Survivor

Quote:
Originally posted by fijiblue
Got my hands on a PAR meter (thanks Bubbletip) and took some numbers if anyone is interested...
We should all be interested! You have given us objective measures to help emmulate your system! I need to get a hold of one myself and post the results. 300 in the corners!

Now if you could check it with natural sunlight! I would love to see a comparison.
Old 11/24/2007, 08:01 AM
Island Jumper

SERVO - 300 blew my mind as well...so did the 1000+ at the surface considering these are not overdriven and in a TEK fixture. I had previously tried using a formula to convert Lux to PAR and posted it with my tank last time...I should have checked it because the conversion didn't work and was way off! I'd love to try testing natural light, but I think it would be so inconsistent with the weather right now. I have to give the meter back today, but after this I might buy one.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 11/24/2007, 08:03 AM
Island Jumper

oh yeah...and the 721 on the left side underneath the surface should be 506.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:36 PM
AEFW Survivor

So awesome!

Right around the solstice every year when the sun comes up, my tank will get natural sunlight. The front of the tank gets blasted for about 7 days! The colors actually look pretty lousy thru the glass with NS *Shrug*.

I've got an in wall that has a fish room built in the garage, so thats about as good as it will get for me. Kinda amazing that it can even get any light.

If I build a house in the future, I'm going to try those sola tubes with T5's or maybe LED's depending on price and technology and price at that time.
Old 11/24/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

What kind of par meter did you use? If it was an Apogee, how did you mount it? I found the one I used for a short time to be extremely variable and constantly changing values based on how level and still it was held. That made it difficult to be able to get good readings. Maybe I missed something... Can you get a pic of the meter and mount (or did you just hold it in your hand at different levels)? I'm wating to do something like this for all of my systems to see how different combinations fare and track long term degredation. TIA.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:26 PM
Island Jumper

gflat65 - Yes, I used an apogee meter and no I didn't use a mount. For my purposes, I don't need one. Just looking for a rough number.
Old 11/24/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Didn't it constantly flucuate, or did you just take averages of the values as it flucutated? I couldn't get it to stabilize holding it...
Old 11/24/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I have 6 overdriven t5 bulbs of the same length and did not get near those good of readings on the par meter. Wonder if the ballasts are no good?
Old 11/24/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Those par readings by the way were measured with the lights 4" closer to the water than 7".
Old 11/25/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Hey Fiji

I'm new to the PAR meter... so I'm wondering do you submerse the meter underwater to test it?

And for your fan, did you mod the clip? Yours looks shorter.. I have a hard time trying to stick it on the edge of the tank

Jay
Old 11/25/2007, 08:14 AM
Island Jumper

grandp10 - how old are your bulbs? Do you cool them? My bulbs are about 2 weeks old, are actively cooled and I am crazy about keeping my reflectors clean all the time.

What's up Jay! Yes, the apogee meter was submersible and the levels do fluctuate. I took the average between the fluctuations. The fan I tore apart right away First, I took them out of the casing and flipped them to shoot the other way. Then I cut the legs to make it as short as possible on the tank. The nice thing about them is they are so simple to take apart and mod....don't know if the cost on the unit is really worth it, though. With a piece of acrylic, 4 computer fans - which would be better then the ones in there, a power converter and time you are looking at $16.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:16 AM
Island Jumper

Servo - that is a pretty sweet setup! Can you post some stats?
Old 11/25/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Fijiblue, the bulbs were only about 4 mos. old, if that. The fixture I have is the Aquactinics Solarflare, so it does have the active cooling. The only thing mine has that yours does not is an acyrlic shield, which is not supposed to affect par much at all. Do you know about ballasts, is there a way that the Icecap ballasts can be working and just not powering the bulbs fully like they are supposed to? Thanks!
Old 11/25/2007, 09:45 AM
Island Jumper

Not sure on the ballast no running fully...I'd ask Icecap about that. I think the shield might be restricting you a bit. I chose not to go with the shield over the fixture because of that. If my bulbs were down further I would use a glass shield I had made, but otherwise at 7" I dont have much salt spray...knock on wood!
Old 11/25/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

If you could do it again would you still go with the TEK fixture or something else? What do you think of the Aquactinics TX5 fixture?
Old 11/25/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Granp10 I'd be willing to bet your par numbers will be much better w/out the acrylic cover. I ran VHO's w/ and w/out an acrylic top on a previous tank- BIG difference in light/coral growth though I've never tested w/ a meter.
Old 11/25/2007, 06:16 PM
Island Jumper

uhuru - I would go with the TEK again in a heart beat. I don't know what all the bad mouth about them is about. They are a well built, industrial type hood. I think people are lazy and look for a "plug and play grow coral perfectly" type light and badmouth it cause it takes some tweaking. Just my opinion.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fijiblue

What's up Jay! Yes, the apogee meter was submersible and the levels do fluctuate. I took the average between the fluctuations. The fan I tore apart right away First, I took them out of the casing and flipped them to shoot the other way. Then I cut the legs to make it as short as possible on the tank. The nice thing about them is they are so simple to take apart and mod....don't know if the cost on the unit is really worth it, though. With a piece of acrylic, 4 computer fans - which would be better then the ones in there, a power converter and time you are looking at $16.
Luckily, I score a pair for 5 bucks each. Just trying to figure out how to mount it. I like your idea. I'll fiddle with it and see how it will come out. I should look into getting an apogee meter too. Thanks for info!
Old 11/26/2007, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

awesome tank! mind telling me where you can get a par meter?
Old 11/26/2007, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuru
If you could do it again would you still go with the TEK fixture or something else? What do you think of the Aquactinics TX5 fixture?
TX5 is much better. Also, Aquatinics has proven itself to be a much better company than Sunlight Supply.

Any T5 fixture should have active cooling to get the most PAR and life out of T5s. The proof is in the pudding, PowerModuls make twice the Par of a TekLight. I have run both.

If you have a short tank, Teklights can work at the cost of lesser bulb lifespan and a heating the water more penalty.

James
Old 11/26/2007, 06:05 PM
Island Jumper

No prob eagleONE.

ezcompany - I borrowed the PAR meter from a buddy of mine, but you can get them here:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Category_Code=

jamesdawson - to say a PowerModuls will run double the output is kinda risky. I doubt a 6 bulb unit would be pushing 2000 PAR at the surface
Old 11/26/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Yo Fiji

Get me an updated FTS already HA HA

Great thread tagging along
Old 11/27/2007, 09:39 AM
Island Jumper

Quote:
Yo Fiji

Get me an updated FTS already HA HA

Great thread tagging along
Ha! Not until the tank is 1 year old...got atleast 5 more months
Old 11/27/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

ahhh rubbish...lol