Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2006, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

20L Zoanthid Tank Lighting

I plan to setup a 20L as a Zoanthid tank. Will I be able to get away with PC lighting or should I go with MH?

I'm worried the MH will have to be mounted quite high to reach the ends of the tank. I'm also worried that it might be overkill and only contribute more heat to the tank.
Old 07/15/2006, 05:35 PM
Word

Sure you could get away with pc lighting, but you will get better growth and colors under mh. If your worried about heat just use 2 or 3 fans to blow the heat of the surface of the water. Another option is t5's.As intence as mh but without the heat.
Old 07/15/2006, 06:43 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

Re: 20L Zoanthid Tank Lighting

Quote:
Originally posted by sevise
I plan to setup a 20L as a Zoanthid tank. Will I be able to get away with PC lighting or should I go with MH?

I'm worried the MH will have to be mounted quite high to reach the ends of the tank. I'm also worried that it might be overkill and only contribute more heat to the tank.
the best MH for that size tank would be a 175w SE, or 150w DE. IMO i like the SE stuff better. and i think the light spread is also better for SE as the reflectors are larger, and spread out more light.

no way you will over heat the tank. as long as the ambient temp of the room stays around 80 or lower. a small fan might come in handy if you arent running AC.

my girlfriend runs a 175w SE, on magnetic ballast, over a regular 15g AGA tank. i thought it was overkill at first also, but cant complain as the colors are SWEET, and nothing seems to *not like* that much light.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 07/16/2006, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

There is a very limited choice of T5s at 30"s. I have the parts for a 175W MH SE and a 250W DE.
Old 07/16/2006, 04:48 AM
Registered Member

i run 175W SE 14K iwasaki bulb with 2 32w pc actinics on a home made tank i have that is the about the same depth as a 20L (mine = 22x22x12) and like it a lot, as do my corals of course (SPS's and zoanthids). it will be hard to hit the far corners of a 30" tank though with one bulb - so best to include the PC's or T5's in your set up also
Old 07/16/2006, 04:57 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally posted by sevise
There is a very limited choice of T5s at 30"s. I have the parts for a 175W MH SE and a 250W DE.
The 175w would be perfect. Save the 250w for a deeper tank.