Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/25/2007, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Word Of Warning - Please Read

Just want to warn people of this so that they don't have to go thru what I'm going thru tonight.....

It's 3:45 AM Christmas Day and I've been up for about 4 hours, pulling dead fish out of my tank......

DO NOT EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER PUT A CUCUMBER IN A TANK!!!!!!!

I found my pink/black cucumber in my sump tonight, dead. It has completely poisoned my tank. So far I have lost:

5" Vlamingi Tang
4" Harlequin Tusk
2" Pajama Cardinal
4" Red Sea Sailfin Tang
4" HiFin Snapper
4" Blue Regal Tang

UPDATE from this morning at 11:00 AM:
Lost 4" Purple Tang
Lost 7" Miniatus Grouper
Lost the 2 remaining Pajama Cardinals

My Harlequin Sweetlips will die later today.

The remaining inhabitants can't really be removed due to size or inability to remove them....they are:
14" Jeweled Eel
24" Zebra Eel
23" Horn Shark
10" across disk BlueSpot Ray

I hope they make it.......

So please, don't risk putting in a cucumber......just not worth it. If someone listens to this, I'll at least not think this night has been completely in vain......

By the way, don't think just because you have a large tank that this can't happen to you.....my tank is a 480gal with a 100gal sump.