Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/22/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

I think I'm overstocked...but am I in any danger with it?

Looking for some opinions/advice here guys so please be courteous in your replies.

I think I've had a case of "my eyes are bigger then my tank" and would like to insure that the only potential problem I might have is water quality, since I'm confident in my ability to keep up on water changes, aggressive skimming, etc.

My tank is a 70g Oceanic RR with a approx. 20g sump. I have a very open LR scape made up of 90% marcorocks and 10% mixed LR from my old 50g, I run a refuge that is beyond swarming with live mysis and pods. The tank has been running w/fish & corals since late June (was cycled before that, and was an upgrade to my old 50g) so far water quality has been right on. I do a 20g water change every 7-10 days.

Stocking:
fish:
clown fish pair (who host anthelia so pretty much stay in their corner)
4 blue/green chromis
1 yellow assessor
1 royal gramma
1 midas blenny
1 firefish
1 randals goby
1 six line
standard cleaning crew, mostly snails

My fish all pretty much ignore eachother, majority stay on the left side except for my firefish who stays on the right and blenny in the middle top or swimming with the chromis.

Only potential problem I've seen is the 6 line who was chasing the yellow assessor & royal gramma for a week and keeping them in hiding, they've both since faced their fears so to speak and are always out now.

What do you think my long term success will be with this stocking, in terms of aggression. Are there any fish you think should be relocated?

Thank you for any opinions!
Old 09/22/2007, 11:46 PM
Nano Reefer

Honestly, your tank load looks perfect to me for a tank your size. If you're already worried about the sixline, though, you have good reason. I had some serious issues with my sixline in my 30. They can just really be terrors sometimes.
Old 09/22/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

your tank is not overstocked. You have (except the clowns) small fish with low biomass so no problems. You could even put a few more small inoffensive fish in there (although your sixline might slaughter them, they can be nasty) such as a purple firefish, or a Lubbock's fairy wrasse. Obviously the less biomass the fewer potential water quality issues you could have so keep that in mind too.
Old 09/22/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

In terms of numbers and size of fish, your tank looks fine.I'd be a little concerned about the assesor vs the gramma and firefish and the sixline vs all except the clowns.
Old 09/23/2007, 01:20 AM
Moved On

Perfect balance of fishes in my opinion. The 6 line can get more aggressive over time, so you need to keep an eye on him.
Old 09/23/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Thank you everyone, I'm glad everything looks ok! You've made me feel alot better... I think the 6 line will come out when I get around to trying to catch her, or the next time we move etc. I've already rehomed one from my 24g earlier this year when it started harassing my purple firefish so I know how they can get, plus I'd like to add a shrimp and this 6 line was found looking mighty guilty when the small cbs (which I've learned might not have been the best choice anyways) was found murdered.