Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 12:57 PM
angelfish nut!

I keep over 20 angels in my reefs, and I trust my large angels more than Centropyge with my sps now... I have no problem giving up a bit of polyp extension for some beautiful angels though... also keep in mind that a stressed or dieing coral is much more apt to be picked on...

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/20/2007, 02:39 PM
Humble Reefkeeper

I have a mated pair of Golden angelss in my 400 gallon system. I think it is only the female that does it, but she picks at the base of some of the Acros. You can clearly see her bite marks. The bite marks will freak you out thinking they are Acropora eating flatworm damage, but they are not. My tank is very large, and some of the Acros are very large, so the damage is not sufficient to significantly slow the growth. The angel seems to pick at the underside of large colonies mostly. This has been going on for 18+ months.

I have no plans to remove either of the golden angels. It would be nearly impossible anyhow.
Old 08/20/2007, 07:12 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

I don't know how you guys can stand it. I guess I'm a wuss. I can't bare to just put an angel in there and hope that he won't pick on anything.

that's why I don't have emerald crabs, copperband butterfly, angels, etc...
Old 08/21/2007, 12:16 AM
POWERED by A200-1260

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
I keep over 20 angels in my reefs, and I trust my large angels more than Centropyge with my sps now... I have no problem giving up a bit of polyp extension for some beautiful angels though... also keep in mind that a stressed or dieing coral is much more apt to be picked on...

Copps
I agree with John, I too have a lot of experience in keeping angels in an SPS tank. I really think that the angel sp. I have never had any issue with any angels picking or destroying any of my sps or other corals. I think due to word of mouth angels being non reefsafe have taken a bad rap.
Definitely un-true at all.

SF 49ERS!!! SF GIANTS!!!
Old 08/21/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Well as for everyone i know that has had an angel in an sps tank had a prob. with it. I would say the others are just lucky. But thats just what i think.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

i can tell you for sure that my golden angel was nipping at my sps. i have a copperband and a long nose butterfly without issues but i will never try another angel. Thier natural diet is coral and there is no fightin nature.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:52 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I've seen all those eat corals too (Genicanthus species angels)...
I'd put that in perspective though...certainly not with the likelihood of a centropyge angel...

Of the threads I've read on RC, I only remember 1 (a bellus eating an open brain....but frankly, what fish won't eventually eat an open brain though... ).

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/21/2007, 09:26 AM
Reef Weasel

I have a coral beauty and I have not seen it nip at any thing.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

My Juvenile Empperor nip at my acros but no other corals. The damage he does is very minimal. As said before angels pick at every thing, he follow my tangs around and grazes all day. A little less polyp extension is the only difference i noticed.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

i noticed alot less polyp to no polyp extension on the corals that were nipped and holes in the tissue on my plate coral. My rics zoas, acans, and micros were not touched.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

My Argi is a model citizen. I like angels a lot and think they go nice in a reef.
Old 08/21/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

I have a potters and a flame angel in my 90 sps reef right now. I've had them for about 6 months and the flame will nip at my milles killing the tips at times, but it grows right back. I've seen her nip at others here or there but doesnt seem to bother them too much. The potters has been a model citizen.

I used to have a coral beauty for about four years and never saw her nip at any corals.
Old 08/21/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, i do love angels. But i love them Acros to much more to have anything picking at them at all. At least in My reef.
Old 08/21/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

I've had a coral beauty, a flame angel, and a golden angel in my SPS tank for over a year.
When I first put in the golden angel it used to pick at the corals every now and then, but never caused any serious damage. I then started to feed a huge variety of marine food (Formula 1&2, prime reef, fresh chopped shrimp, clam and mussels on the half shell, mysis shrimp, krill, cyclop-eeze, and baby brine shrimp, brown/red/green marine algae) up to 5 times a day. It has not pecked at anything since then. Not only that, the fish look very healthy and active (especially my anthias) and I have a huge population of copepods, amphipods, and bristle worms in the tank. whisch has added a lot of bidiversity to my reef and the fish love eating these live critters as well. The only side effect to all this feeding is a constantly regenerating population of anemone majanos which I must treat every few months with concentrated Ca Hydroxide. .
All in all, i think a varied diet helps prevent fish from nipping, but obviously this depends a lot on the individual fish as well.

my 2 cents worth