Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/22/2007, 10:59 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Tunze nano mod

well mine seemed like it wasnt pumping much lately, today it would hardly sway the polyps on my SPS about 20" away, so my mechanical brain kicked in. I took off the front cover, so just the impellar was exposed, and it cranked out an amazing amount of flow, the only problem was it sucked alto of water in really fast from behind, and was pretty dangerous. I'd guess near 1500 GPH, enough so it blew a 1lb rock across my 29 gallon tank over into the glass. I saw this and instantly thought, i can I get a comparable amount of flow, but have it be safer, and not look bad. Thats when I looked at the front inside cover, there was a tube where the impellar goes inside, and I realized, this must be what is restricting all the flow!

So I tooke metal clippers(not neccesary, just need something that can get enough pressure to cut the plastic) and snipepd through it in abotu 2 minutes i had the top half cut off. I put it in the tank, and I'm guessing at least 1.5x the flow it normall put out. I'd put it at around 900-1000GPH, but thats an estimate, I've never felt that flow, but trust me, its ALOT

I'll post pics in a minute, but the best part is, it doesnt effect the looks of the pump, pump is still putting out same noise, looks the same, just more flow.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/22/2007, 11:07 AM
clownfish fan

i want to see this
Old 01/22/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

I dont see the subscribe to thread option here so Im in . Lets see!
Old 01/22/2007, 11:22 AM
clownfish fan

subscribe is at the bottom of page in the middle
Old 01/22/2007, 11:23 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Heres what the inside of the cover looks like:

I circled the part I cut off. Now instead of most of the water being sucked in from the back, it gets sucked in through the back, and the top. I figure if you cut the tube on fo front off you can get the flow to be more widespread, and probably perfect for smaller tanks where you dont want crazy crazy flow.

Heres a video of the startup, and showing the flow The tallest rock on the left side was being rocked back and forth onto the glass until it fell into a place it liked.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/22/2007, 11:26 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

sorry for bad quality on the video, once the halide turns on later ill get a good one

its hard to see the flow from that, the sadn started to settle down, but you can tell it is still a bit cloudy. Ill get a shot of the xenia that is abotu 6" away, 6" down from the pump, the stuff is goign crazy in all directions

Keep in mind this is the only pump in the tank. The only other one is a Minijet 404 hidden in the overflow box, and the return for the fuge is on the right, adding no flwo to this.

Ill turn the halide on now a little early to try to get a good video

Old 01/22/2007, 11:32 AM
clownfish fan

try putting some flakes in there for me dude so i can see the flow
that is cool, i wont be able to do the mod for a lil while. im sure that Rodger Vitko will not like this but i will be watching, what was wrong with yours? wasnt enough flow right.

Last edited by GSMguy; 01/22/2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01/22/2007, 11:34 AM
clownfish fan

oh and can you take a digital shot where the auto focus actually focuses on the place you made the cut the camera is focused on the tank behind it sorry
Old 01/22/2007, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the refresher course ! As for that mod, I would suggets some sort of dremel tool if you have one. Peter
Old 01/22/2007, 12:03 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

yea, i would have used a dremel, but i dont have one, but this worked as well

Here are the pics:

Video:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01/22/2007, 12:05 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

i dont care if he likes it or not, its giving them ideas on how to improve it for free, they can take it, or they can leave it. I would get rid fo the whole tube in the middle all together, and just put a cage around the impellar.

Also the pump is not Silent like they say, mine was always noisy, and the metal pole was always tight in there

I did this because the flow was lacking, for the first month it was great, then it started to die down pretty much, like the polps would always be getting good flow, be blown aroudn on my SPS, today barely anything.

but now its great

Old 01/22/2007, 12:07 PM
clownfish fan

much better
wow that was definetly more than my 6025s
sweet man
Old 01/22/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

I wonder if this breaks the warranty? I would love to try it though.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 01/22/2007, 12:10 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

my sand is still being stirred up

I would love to make this like a vortech, but it would be way too much flow for my tank, i left it liek that for a mintue or two, and all my softies were getting destroyed. It also didnt throw it very far

My guess is with one of the bigger models, with a large impellar can do soem great flow

Old 01/22/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

I wonder what the point of that internal tube is anyways?

Cool and easy fix to get more flow. Do you think you get wider flow as well? And, do you think just cutting out the bottom part and leave the top would work as well, this way you may get less vortex of the water if the pump is near the top of the tank.
Old 01/22/2007, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

tagging
Old 01/22/2007, 12:16 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

The bottom part of the tube inside you cant cut out, there realyl is not bottom part, its just a solid piece of plastic there, not gonna cut through that

but abotu wider flow, id say yes you do get more wider flow, mostl ikely because theres more flow going ot the tube

but for wider flow id cut the tube off the front, you wouldnt get as much distance, but it would probably push alot of water too

so far im happy with this mod, and I honestly do hope tunze does take these ideas into consideration, then maybe lets me test them out for them

Old 01/22/2007, 12:18 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

probably does break warranty

but id figure it would put less strain on the pump. If you think about it, im doing the pump a favor haha

its having to do less work to pull he water in, instead of squeazing it through a smaller hole, it can simply just go in easier.

ahhh, the things a 15 year old can do while stuck home sick during midterms

Old 01/22/2007, 12:32 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
I wonder if this breaks the warranty? I would love to try it though.
yea it does and i just asked Rodger the other day and he said they have a 2year full warranty so i dont think im going to do it
i wonder if he found the difference from a 6025 to a 6045
Old 01/22/2007, 12:35 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

oh well, so far it seems worth it, and i hope it stays this way. Since i didnt mess with the impellar, or motor at all i doubt this will have any really bad effects

Old 01/22/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

please post back every few days/week to let us know if any problems arose.....if it works well for you and doesn't start to lose it's flow i will jump in this boat.

either way....good diy and it seems to have worked out well for you

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 01/22/2007, 12:43 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rook
I wonder what the point of that internal tube is anyways?

Cool and easy fix to get more flow. Do you think you get wider flow as well? And, do you think just cutting out the bottom part and leave the top would work as well, this way you may get less vortex of the water if the pump is near the top of the tank.
to me the internal tube is what keeps the flow even and steady so as not to strain the shaft

we shall see
Old 01/22/2007, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

I guess another option would be to drill holes in the tube to allow more intake as opposed to cutting it off. I have a 55g (36"x18"x19") and currently have 2 6025s. I also have 3" of sand so I not sure if I would want that much flow. I may cut holes in it though to see if it increases any.
Old 01/22/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

jcr...i have a 58g w/DSB(36"x18"x21") and have 2-6025's and a 6000 on controller and want more flow

Old 01/22/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

I recently upgraded from a 30g and the 6025s were almost too much flow. I think I am pretty much stuck with the 6025s for now since my wife bought them for me for Christmas. I don't even want to imagine her reaction if I decided to upgrade to 6045s. LOL. I agree about the flow. I just don't want a sandstorm.