Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/06/2008, 11:10 PM
Excuse My French...

Rue:

It is not uncommon to zero phosphates and plenty of algae: The phosphates are immediately eaten by the algae. I would add a small GFO bag (PhosBan or similar) for a few weeks. That helped a lot in my tank!

Fishes that are strictly algae eaters are not a good solution, I believe. Once the algae is gone, they starve to death. Or even worse, they do not like the algae specy you have...

conorwynne:

Rue is the one with the algae problem... I finally got rid of most of it. Et enfin, oui je suis Francais.

Last edited by LaurentSeattle; 01/06/2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I didn't really catch the algae problem posts, but I wanted to make this point. Fish that are algae -only ( herbivorous) as they may consume tons of algae they also poop tons. They do a very brief job when they digest their algae. So what that means is they still poop out a lot of algae's nutrients in the water. It is good to have a fish dedicated to eating algae, but they are a huge bio load. Also make sure you dose some silicate for those growing snails that also mow down your algae.
Still by far removing and RO/DI water changes will help.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:27 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 7 - Week 28 - Day 192 - Sunday January 6th - Around 9pm

- Back from the weekend and was happy to find everything in good order and all animals healthy...

- Re-Established mechanical filtration and fed the fishes...

---

I think Black_Magik has a very good point here: Algae eaters transform algae into poop, and that's nutrients, food for a next generation of algae...
Old 01/06/2008, 11:29 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Indeed! I have problems...

Well...it's not out of control anymore...hasn't been for a while...but I'm tired of the 'dirty' looking tank...I want it cleaner...

I luv the sea hares...but again...tank is too small for those sizable critters!
Old 01/06/2008, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Rue pardon my getting off the subject, but can you allow me to live with you for a week and allow me to hunt deer around you.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:38 PM
Professional Obfuscator

LOL...I'll ask hubby...

...but you don't get to hunt MY deer...you know the ones I mean...the ones that are so tame that I have to chase them with a broom AND the hounds to get them to leave the yard...

It's my fault...I originally hung the bird-feeder too low...now apparently the word has gotten out among them that we're 'suckers'...
Old 01/06/2008, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Are they the famous 200-300 pounders you see in the paper all the time from Saskatchewan? If so I do not know how you manage to shake a broom at them. You should put reins on 12 of them that would be funny site.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:12 AM
Professional Obfuscator

...dunno...I don't hunt -all I know is that they aren't the least intimidated by me!

Where are you from?

Last edited by Rue; 01/07/2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:28 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Heh...I'll leave you with this pic of my front yar this summer...I was working in my office and watching out the window...

Old 01/07/2008, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Nice sized doe, I'm in Pennslyvania, ( USA) Saskatchewan as been known for giant deer and you have a beautiful landscape thats where I'm going when I''m done here in the suburbs
Old 01/07/2008, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Rue, I do not think you tank is too small at all for a sea hare.
I have one in my 26G and it is doing very well. Now I am running out of algae, and I had about 10 types! It mostly eats HA and bryopsis, but seems to eat any algae when not given a choice.

Laurent, I once knew a French guy called laurent who worked in Video game development (your last job IIRC), small world eh!
I speak fluent French, but well keep to English on RC ;-0

p.s.: I am eating foie gras and I have a choice of 10 french cheeses for lunch, jealous? :-)

Regards
Conor.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Rue, Once the sea hare has cleaned up the algae, you find someone else with an algae problem and sell it to them. Two weeks later you may need it again. And the circle of life goes on

Marty

[B]Rue, I do not think you tank is too small at all for a sea hare.
I have one in my 26G and it is doing very well. Now I am running out of algae, and I had about 10 types! It mostly eats HA and bryopsis, but seems to eat any algae when not given a choice.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:16 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 7 - Week 28 - Day 193 - Monday January 7th - Around 8pm

- Nothing really special to report today, except that I am going to try to perform perfect regular maintenance this week because I plan one or maybe two new additions this weekend.

---

conorwynne: Foie Gras and 10 varieties of cheese... Indeed, Jealous, I am...
Old 01/07/2008, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Any Hints?

Marty

- Nothing really special to report today, except that I am going to try to perform perfect regular maintenance this week because I plan one or maybe two new additions this weekend.

---

conorwynne: Foie Gras and 10 varieties of cheese... Indeed, Jealous, I am... [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 01/07/2008, 11:59 PM
Excuse My French...

Hey Marty,

Probably a second feather duster to be placed in the middle and another LPS coral to be placed in the left, middle height... It will also depend on what's available at the local LFS's.

After that I will consider the tank "almost" stocked. I really would like to have another fish, but the last two I introduced (Royal Gramma and Firefish) died prematurely...
Old 01/08/2008, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Laurent, They do say the third time is the charm. Sooner or later you will find your fish.

Marty
Old 01/09/2008, 10:21 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 7 - Week 28 - Day 195 - Wednesday January 9th - Around 7pm

- Cleaned a few rocks located on the top of the tank: removed quite a lot of red hairy algae. Used some tank water to rinse the rocks and ended up with a micro-water change of one third of a gallon.

- A stalk of Xenia that was about to reach the back wall collapsed and look sick but some polyps are still pumping... The rest of the colony is doing quite well and growing everyday.

- The GSP were all retracted when I arrived home after work: That was a good opportunity to remove some algae still growing in them.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:16 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 7 - Week 28 - Day 196 - Thursday January 10th - Around 8pm

- Tonight I went hunting for more Red Hairy Algae...

- Xenia has not reached the glass yet. Other stalks are growing in all directions. I will prune the colony this weekend.

- I have found a new algae ennemy: It is a macro, very hard to remove, currently overwhelming a small zoanthid colony. I will post pictures tomorrow night.

- I guess it is about time to clean the filtration chamber: bursts of bubbles are often happening and the water level is quite low in there. "Will Do" this weekend.

- I plan to perform my first serious DIY mod and cut the skimmer bottom this weekend... I am scared...

- I posted the "666"th (the number of the beast) reply here.... Now YOU can go ahead, you're safe...
Old 01/11/2008, 09:58 AM
Genuine reef addict

Phew - I'm glad I avoided the 666! Good luck with the skimmer mod. What will you use to cut it - a hand saw. jig saw? I'm not sure what others have used.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:47 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally posted by conorwynne
Rue, I do not think you tank is too small at all for a sea hare.

Regards
Conor.
...I dunno...I don't like rehoming critters...unless I know they're in high demand...and sea hares don't seem that popular with the 'crowd'...
Old 01/11/2008, 10:49 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Lucky save there Reefmack!
Old 01/11/2008, 08:23 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 7 - Week 29 - Day 197 - Friday January 11th - Around 5pm

- Started the "Cut the Skimmer" mod at 4:45pm. And I am taking a little break because I am only half way of having it done...

More later... with possibly a report on performance.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:42 PM
Excuse My French...

- The skimmer mod was completed around 6pm. Not really easy with a small hand-saw. My cuts are irregular.

- I cleaned the skimmer body before working on it and usually in such case, it is producing a bit more bubbles than usual. Therefore, it is hard to tell if MB levels have improved or not. I guess it is the same for performance: So far, not gunk is building up. I assume I have to wait at least 24 hours before jumping on conclusions.

In other news:

- Xenia has reached the back wall! Yay! I will cut and trim tomorrow some stalks that are trying to take a hold on other neighbouring rocks.

- GSP is expanding nicely!

- Shrimps, crab, snails, corals and fishes are all doing good.

- Lucy Lu, the yellow wrasse is developping really nice red markings on her head but she is always to fast and so far I have not been able to snap a decent close-up shot. Will try again...

- I will visit one or two LFS's tomorrow... Stay tuned!