Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Some new pickups.

Got these guys a couple weeks ago.

Mohawks

Purple Haze

Old 01/03/2008, 08:45 PM
Unregistered Member

I could really care less about their pseudo name- but they are some great looking polyps. I hope they do well for you and you are acquiring quite a nice collection from what I can see in your pictures.
Keep up the great collecting as you are off to a nice start. good luck
Old 01/03/2008, 09:42 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I love my Mohawks, which by the way, have been multiplying like crazy! Hmmm... wonder what it could be?
Old 01/03/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

those are some nice zoo's
Old 01/03/2008, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
I love my Mohawks, which by the way, have been multiplying like crazy! Hmmm... wonder what it could be?
I really hope they do well for me. They are an amazingly photogenic zoa if i do say so myself.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by geoxman
I could really care less about their pseudo name- but they are some great looking polyps. I hope they do well for you and you are acquiring quite a nice collection from what I can see in your pictures.
Keep up the great collecting as you are off to a nice start. good luck
I like the psuedo name, i think its pretty funny all the names there is. Best part about my collection is i have never paid more than a buck or two for a polyp. I'm lucky in the fact the LFS's that i go to pretty much charge the same for each piece, which is good for customers imo. Cause if they charged the ridiculously high prices since they have names and whatnot, i wouldnt have pics to share. I probably would have never started my zoa collection if it werent for all the cool pics here on rc
Old 01/03/2008, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/03/2008, 10:44 PM
Unregistered Member

You will find many of zoanthid collectors before you that never paid more than 2 cents per polyp before the obnoxious, bogus, pseudo names all began. Did I fall into it?? Yes but I quickly learned that it was a slippery slope.

You have some beautiful polyps and I hope they do great for you.

Can you tell me their origin and species? If not, bumchuck and Cherokee do me no good. Will they change in high light and nutrients? Of course they will and that is why their name is ?????????
They will also change under low nutrient-low/high 10k light etc..of course they would and that is why their "given" name has no basis in my opinion.

Look at all the phony, pseudo names that are given to a slightly different morph on that zoa id forum. If you study it there is way too much duplication on the same polyp and different morphs. blah blah blah
you get my piont. You have some nice polyps and if their name was buttcrackersingreenbay-would you appreciate them as much? I think you would? The name thing is meaningless. IMHO
Old 01/03/2008, 10:50 PM
RC Mod

Why do people post pics under actinics and expect us to be impressed ?

Old 01/03/2008, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Agu
Why do people post pics under actinics and expect us to be impressed ?

Nice comment from an RC mod. That picture wasn't taken under actinic, same lighting as the picture listed above. The picture comes out purple because A) Those are dark purple/rose palys and B) the frag plug is covered in coraline. But i guess being such a frequent contributor to these forums you may have devised such a thought on your own. Here's a picture under straight flash.

And while your at it, why don't you try to impress us with your knowledge on a topic next time Agu, instead of a useless remark or is that something you feel you aren't capable of contributing?

Old 01/03/2008, 11:04 PM
Unregistered Member

Pitcom-I am sorry for being harsh and I was caught up in a moment and the whole name thing is very bogus and a fraud/scam in my opinion. If a marine biologist/PHD/Dr. will start's naming polyps and back them up with a scientific name/origin/ color/habitat..etc..-then I am good to go. But Zombie eye does not do it for me?? How about a red Solomon with purple rings?? I would go for that....Good luck with your polyps they do look great
Old 01/03/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Pitcom-I am sorry for being harsh and I was caught up in a moment and the whole name thing is very bogus and a fraud/scam in my opinion. If a marine biologist/PHD/Dr. will start's naming polyps and back them up with a scientific name/origin/ color/habitat..etc..-then I am good to go. But Zombie eye does not do it for me?? How about a red Solomon with purple rings?? I would go for that....Good luck with your polyps they do look great
I dont mind at all Geo. We all get to share our opinions. That's what makes everyone who they are. It'd be a boring forum if we all thought alike.

Just wanted to add, i only try to recognize names cause people at the LFS are always looking for trades. In the other thread about the naming issue i mentioned i use the names so i can put a "face" to things when people talk trade.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:09 PM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Nice comment from an RC mod. That picture wasn't taken under actinic, same lighting as the picture listed above. The picture comes out purple because A) Those are dark purple/rose palys and B) the frag plug is covered in coraline. But i guess being such a frequent contributor to these forums you may have devised such a thought on your own. Here's a picture under straight flash.

Take a chill pill. It will do you nothing but cause trouble to irritate a mod. I would send a PM and apologize. IMHO. Best of luck to you and your polyps-but recuse yourself in this debate/argument JMHO
Old 01/04/2008, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

I don't have a problem with names. I agree that many different named morphs are actually the same just morphed, but it has it's good and bad IMHO. We could get into a long debate about this but I will not say anymore about it.

Awesome Mohawks and Purple Haze Pitcom.

PS. I am not into naming anymore, but if you like it, it's fine with me.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:17 AM
Unregistered Member

Rev I will send a PM tomorrow. I will be up for a long debate tomorrow AM.
PL
Old 01/04/2008, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

Sounds good bro. TTYL..
Old 01/04/2008, 12:27 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Quote:
If a marine biologist/PHD/Dr. will start's naming polyps and back them up with a scientific name/origin/ color/habitat..etc..-then I am good to go. But Zombie eye does not do it for me?? How about a red Solomon with purple rings?? I would go for that....
Maybe we need a geneologist to do DNA on them! I had a similar argument with David Boruchowitz (editor of TFH mag) about a puffer species I wrote an article about that they published. He insisted 2 totally different-looking puffers that had different temperments & grew to 2 different lengths, were the same species & until I had DNA proof they were different species, I couldn't win that argument.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:48 AM
Unregistered Member

yes I agree with you. I also do not like the idea of a reefer naming a polyp after their favorite bong!! "BLUE SMOKE/RED DEVIL" If they could expound on the coral's region/light/nutrient level...etc. then I would/could maybe go a long with the goofy/made up names of these polyps. I see polyps that are named that have no bearing origin/depth/light etc... If you can show me a "PPE" from the shallow depths of the Solomon Islands then I might change my mind.

I am tired and I am going to bed-good luck
Old 01/04/2008, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Yea I think it def is now out of control. Like I said I see good and bad in it, but as of now I can't even keep up and too many same morphs are called different names........lalalalala.....
Old 01/04/2008, 01:13 AM
Pufferkrazy!

But how do I know what I'm ordering from a reefer that is shipping to me? If I put together a list with names, it's gotta be better than saying , "I want the red one with green stripes & the blue one with a pink mouth & yellow skirt."
Old 01/04/2008, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

pitcom
under actinics or not those are bad assed thanks for sharing
Old 01/04/2008, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by george albert
pitcom
under actinics or not those are bad assed thanks for sharing
No problem. All I really desired to accomplish with this thread was for Folks to enjoy a picture or two of some neat coral. Glad u like them.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:51 PM
Team RC Member

I think everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath. As Geoxman said, PM's are a great way to express feelings.

"But how do I know what I'm ordering from a reefer that is shipping to me? If I put together a list with names, it's gotta be better than saying , "I want the red one with green stripes & the blue one with a pink mouth & yellow skirt."

Pufferpink, to this day, I don't order anything by name. This is the way I have done it for many many years. No one ever ask for something by name until roughly 2 years ago. That's when prices shot through the roof and naming became a distinct marketing tool. Most everyone selling corals has a digital camera. I simply ask for a picture and say yes or no to that purchase. If anyone thinks that every polyp out there has a name, they are gravely mistaken, only the most colorful ones which can fetch a nice profit are named. To this day, I have yet to find anyone, not a single person who can show me 600, 700, 800 or 1,000 pictures of distinctly different zoas and palys with a name. It doesn't exist and it never will. There are so MANY choices out there and I just can't understand why everyone wants what everyone else has. This is a hobby, don't limit yourselves. I only wish I had a picture of every polyp and colony I have own over the past 14 years.

Naming, lineage, pricing and the reefers who have turned this hobby into The Great Race, The Ultimate Competition, King Zoa Collector and My Collection is Better Than Yours, when this stops, I think the hobby will once again rise to the level it once was. Pufferpink, I am not speaking of you my friend, this is just a statement that I have made many times before in the past. And my sincere apology for taking your thread off topic.

I wish this thread below would get as much feedback though. LOL

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1283283

Mucho
Old 01/04/2008, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

To be honest I have used "names" and when building my collection went after many of the ones I saw that other people had. Why? Because I liked them. I don't try to get all the ones that are named, but many that are named I want to own. There are also many unnamed ones that I own and want to own as well. I understand why some of you don't like the naming and stuff, but don't crucify those that do. Not everyone is in it for making money. This is a hobby and in every hobby people search for the popular things. To me that was a draw. To find that elusive paly or that one morph that just jumped out at you is/was very fun for me. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its wrong or should not be done. Has it been perverted to make money? Sure, but many things in life are and will be in the future.

I am not upset or talking to anyone person as I respect you all and especially my friend Mucho.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

PS. The lineage thing I am NOT into. Naming is ok, but just because your "PPE" isnt from "Blane" does not make it a PPE fake....

To me the lineage thing is pure and simple a straight up marketing scheme. Anybody want any RDDB's??? (Rev's Doo Doo Browns)