Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2006, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Is Flame angel hard to keep?

Are they supposed to be for beginner like me? I have had one year experience on corals. Do they get sick very easily? I currently don't have any corals in my new tank. Will they do well in a 2 months old tank? Thanks.
Old 11/11/2006, 08:41 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Once established in a tank, they will do fine... They are iffy to get a good one, it depends a lot on how they are collected and its hard to tell at the time of purchase.

Make sure you get one that looks good, vibrant color with no discoloring, as well as eating like a pig and it should do OK.
Old 11/18/2006, 10:50 PM

Re: Is Flame angel hard to keep?

Quote:
Originally posted by weekf
Are they supposed to be for beginner like me? I have had one year experience on corals. Do they get sick very easily? I currently don't have any corals in my new tank. Will they do well in a 2 months old tank? Thanks.
It's ok to put them in a young tank, but better to wait more like 4-6 mo. You should have lots of LR with plenty of swim throughs and caves in no smaller than a 55g tank. They are constant grazers and would be very stressed in a sterile tank with no growth on the rocks. They love diatoms...Should be fed some algae & frozen food containing sponge.

Depending on the tankmates of course - generally the flame should be the last fish added

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 11/19/2006, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

mine last for 5y approx. dont know what happen, one day I don't see more, now I try to buy one but I don't find anyone with a good size and good colors...anyway, one of my favorite dwarf angels.
Old 11/19/2006, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

I feel that they are fine in an est. tank. I have one. JD
Old 11/19/2006, 09:58 PM
"Old Yeller"

The Flame Angel has become a rather difficult item to get into a home tank. Most of the ones I have seen in the last year die within a few weeks to a month or so.

Hawaiian collected seem to do proportionately better than from other areas.

After you get one established, they are an easy species to to keep. They can get rather aggressive and eat anything
Old 11/19/2006, 10:03 PM

Or the Christmas Islands & Fiji -

Randall_James, I don't know where you live, but we're not having this problem here in Houston. Do you know where these "bad" flames are coming from?

Old 11/19/2006, 10:18 PM
"Old Yeller"

I will have to check where they were coming from but they were coming in at $14 each wholesale and 4 of 5 would die.

The ones coming in from the Hawaiian importer were more pricey but doing a lot better. I did hear that the Christmas Island ones were doing Ok but have not seen them.
Old 11/19/2006, 11:12 PM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

Sad to hear flames have gone downhill in survivability. Live Aquaria does have tank-bred flames now, but at a whopping $89. I believe mine is a Marshall Islands or Tahiti flame (going roughly on color, mine has very little orange), but it was super healthy about two years ago (it hid in a rock at the LFS - person trying to catch the fish picked up the rock with the flame still hiding - fish didn't even budge!).

Beautiful fish all around.
Old 11/19/2006, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Angelfish are vile, disgusting vermin that should be eradicated from all tankdom.
Old 11/19/2006, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sloshesv
Angelfish are vile, disgusting vermin that should be eradicated from all tankdom.
Get off the sauce!

I am looking for a Flame right now. I already have a Coral Beauty and love him. I have heard they occassionaly nip at some corals.

I'm going to take the chance though.

-Chip
Old 11/19/2006, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

I'm just sayin'
Old 11/20/2006, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

if they are coming from hawaii they ARE ALL coming from christmas or Marshalls. 1 out of 100000 flames will be an actual hawaiian caught flame. True hawaiian flames are very rare. Christmas island has stepped up their game when collecting flames, not nearly as much have been dying while being held. I always have good luck with them
Old 11/20/2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by theatrus
Sad to hear flames have gone downhill in survivability. Live Aquaria does have tank-bred flames now, but at a whopping $89. I believe mine is a Marshall Islands or Tahiti flame (going roughly on color, mine has very little orange), but it was super healthy about two years ago (it hid in a rock at the LFS - person trying to catch the fish picked up the rock with the flame still hiding - fish didn't even budge!).

Beautiful fish all around.
Tank bred flames??? Hmmm...

I did find this which I thought was interestinghttp://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=444 The Cook Island flames are really cheap....anybody know if the waters around there are cooler? Aren't the Cooks down towards New Zealand? Maybe I should find a map....

Old 11/20/2006, 09:17 PM
"Old Yeller"

Well the price is good, I know when I got mine (maybe 2 years ago) it was $90 retail
Old 11/20/2006, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

ive had mine about a year or so no problems yet, mine is supposedly from vanautu according to the lfs, he is a model citizen in the tank and hangs around with my yellow tang
Old 11/21/2006, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

the color is the same on all of them except hawaiian. They are more red (no orage sometimes at all) and have solid black bars and sometimes no bars! the ones ive seen the past month or so from christmas have been very nice looking. Little orange and nice and big.
Old 12/30/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

How do the christmas island flames do? I see them a lot everywhere.

I've also read that flames have been going down hill. Does anyone know why?
Old 12/30/2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfroggiespawn
How do the christmas island flames do? I see them a lot everywhere.

I've also read that flames have been going down hill. Does anyone know why?
They are supposed to be good from there - I know what you're talking about but not sure -- that said, these issues are usually due to collection and handling

Old 12/30/2006, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbeitel
Get off the sauce!

I am looking for a Flame right now. I already have a Coral Beauty and love him. I have heard they occassionaly nip at some corals.

I'm going to take the chance though.
I thought dwarf angels should be kept one per tank. How safe is to keep both? I already have a flame but love to add another small angel, they are beautiful with nice personality.