Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 12/31/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

thanks reefmack!
Old 12/31/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR RSM OWNERS!

A HAPPY AND HEALTHY 2008 TO ALL MY NEW FRIENDS ON THE "RED SEA MAX OWNERS CLUB" thread... especially to the threads founder REEFMACK!

Y-DesygnGuy- I am so proud of your being able to solve the HYDOR FLO problem.... Don't underestimate what you can accomplish (with white vinegar... LOL)!

donna53w- Thanks for your welcome and my best to your family... and of course Hope and Faith!

LaurentSeattle- My sincere thanks for your generous effort to provide us with a valuable aquarium maintenance software tool and your quick response in support of your AP!

stephensturman- I am drinking a beer right NOW in honor of the sturman position!

abyall- Congrats on a very beautiful tank! Looks to me like it has been established for a while? Your photos are 'SO GOOD', I would be very interested in your equipment and posting software?

Hodge- I greatly appreciate your responses to my posts!

Brent F - As donna53w said... this is the place to be! Welcome to my VERY COLD Calgary triathlete!

For MAXreefer, Rue, martinphillip03, Iostream, and others... I wish you and your family only good health, much prosperity, and great success with your RSM in 2008!!!
I appreciate you all!!!

REGARDS,
KENT
Old 01/01/2008, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Its next year. I agree I don't like the eggcrate look

Marty

Marty - that eggcrate is really used to grow small coral frags on - they get good flow grown on crate, and it supports the frag blocks and skeletal bases easily. Nice idea for making multi-use of the tank, but I liked the look of the tank better without the rack in the middle. I've seen some hung on the back and I think that looks much better. Just my own preference.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

haha i am drinking beer and rum and coke right now! in honor of the new year!
Old 01/01/2008, 12:45 AM
Professional Obfuscator

...17 more minutes until our 2008!!! I'm wishing you and yours EACH the very best 2008 has to offer! Cheers!!!...
Old 01/01/2008, 08:13 AM
Genuine reef addict

Happy New Year Morning All! Sorry - I didn't stay up till midnight to welcome the new year. I figured it would arrive without me being awake Last day of my 11 days away from work - waaaah! At least it's a 3 day work week, so that part will help with the readjustment of working again. I was able to do my water change yesterday, without messing with anything in the tank, and knocking anything loose - a major achievement for me! Today I'll get some water testing done.

NaCl+H2O Fish - I think you may have ordered the Dekalit water jugs the other day? I got a shipping notice from US Plastics that my order "has been shipped partial." Based on their website something is on backorder, but logging in I can't tell what - the 3 or 5 gallon jugs. If you ordered the same day I did - did you get a partial shipping notice?
Old 01/01/2008, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish I use a rebel XTI and post with photobucket thanks. The tank has been up and running since April of 07.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:30 AM
Genuine reef addict

abyall - I started mine in April too. Looks like our tanks are about the same age.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

another newbie

Hi all, I might as well start the new year off with another new RSM owner. I've been watching this thread while mine is cycling. What a great forum for RSM owners! Thanks to all of you for the great tips on issues... Things going pretty good in the tank, cycle bout done (nitrites just about zero).

One question... anybody tried using just one Tunze 6055 with a single controller?
Old 01/01/2008, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Reefmack It's amazing how many people are buying the RSM and how the price has went up found my invoice the other day and I only paid $ 549.00 they also threw in the stand and RSM kit because I had so many problems with shipping. Another bargin of the year I think they are $ 799.00 with the stand now.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:39 AM
Genuine reef addict

janes_mw: Welcome to our RSM Club as the first new owner to check in this year! I can't answer your question on the Tunze 6055, but maybe someone else can.

abyall - yep - the price has gone up since we got ours. superfishstore has it for 699 (700) delivered, cabinet & tank, but not the starter kit.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:24 PM
Genuine reef addict

Slow day today! Everybody must be hung over I got out the Fuji digital I was using before the Canon XTI and made my first attempt ever at a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5SHJjSzB3U

Not the greatest, and it sure looks a lot better quality run on my PC than it does after putting it on youtube.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

First of all HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you.
Hope all your wishes will come true (including that all the micro bubbles will disappear over night...lol)

Reefmack: Still a pretty nice video. Liked it a lot. A vid says so much more as a picture.

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/01/2008, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Nice tank, nice video. Its nice to see the videos to see other tanks in action. Are you having any trepidations waiting for the day when you have to take the foxface out? I think videos may be the thing in '08.

Marty

by Reefmack [/i]
[B]Slow day today! Everybody must be hung over I got out the Fuji digital I was using before the Canon XTI and made my first attempt ever at a video:
Old 01/01/2008, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Hey Reefmack - loved your video! Can you tell me what your crab is at the end of the video?
Old 01/01/2008, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- I like the video your tank looks great. I love the fish swimming in and out of the rocks.

Happy News Year to you all, I hope you have had a great day!
Old 01/01/2008, 08:57 PM
Genuine reef addict

MAXreefer - I'll try to master the video thing eventually. Took me a while just to figure out using youtube.

Marty - not looking forward at all to having to take the Foxface out at some point. I'm hoping he grows slowly! I really love that fish, and he did exactly what I bought him for - ate my Bryopsis algae and saved my corals.

gigs - that's an emerald crab - I think that one was the biggest of the 2 that I have, and it's pretty big - almost 2 inches across. So far they're both well behaved and they're quite frequently out with the lights on - even on the top of the rock. As soon as I feed the fish or corals they're always out picking up the food that doesn't get eaten.

Y-DesygnGuy - had a lazy day!

http://www.icq.com/img/friendship/st...d_16961_rs.swf
Old 01/01/2008, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R ! BEST WISHES TO ALL MY FRIENDS ... THAT MEANS YOU ... HAVE A GREAT 2008!!

Abyall Congratulations on your beautiful tank! Lovely photos. Do you use a macro lens? Thanks for sharing.

Reefmack I loved your video! Your tank looks just great! Your emerald crab really is a bold one ... I have to just about stand on my head to peer at mine in his favorite little hidey-hole.

Y-DesygnGuy Hey great job getting that Hydor Flow up & running!!

You guys!!! Lucky, lucky you to go to the zoo today!! It is -18 C here ... Jack Frost stopped by & left the most gorgeous artwork on my kitchen window.

Hi Janes_mw .... Welcome & Congratulations on your new RSM! Keep lots of pictures so you can see it change right from the beginning.

stephansturman I added about 2" of extra arraganite to my tank ... it had just over 1" before the addition. In all likelihood, you will see another 'cycle', but probably not too bad. Of course, even after I rinsed & rinsed & rinsed the sand, I still had a dust storm but it didn't take too long & it all cleared up again. I added mine with a plastic measuring cup, the sand was still wet, so it didn't really float much, and dumped it slowly wherever I wanted it. Make sure you turn off the powerheads, etc! My problem is that I couldn't get it under some rockwork and so it is shallower in places but it will be OK as my rock is all firmly set in place.

Sorry for the long post ... again. I did put my order in for some frags and hopefully they will arrive on Thursday ... coming by plane. I really spent a small fortune so I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to 'see' them. They are all 1 or 2 polyp! I ordered: Flourescent red & green acan, Australian Coral Snake acan, Australian Orchid Acan, Yellow striped with red Australian Acan, a multi color riccordea, a Stardust Paly, and a Ice Green Tonga Carpet coral. The 'frag-man' is sending along 3 free frags ... a white Zinnia, a clove polyp (hope this is one of the blue ones!!!) and a orange with flourescent green center acan. I know, you're saying ... post pictures. I will, but my shots are not at all as sharp & gorgeous as everyone's here! I will try.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:48 PM
Genuine reef addict

Donna - of course we'll be expecting some kind of pictures! I just did a search on Zinnia corals and all I come up with is Zinnia flowers. Did the frag guy mean Xenia, or is there a Zinnia coral type? Just wondering as it's one I haven't heard of.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack, I don't know ... he just said 'Zinnia' ... it better not be a rampant-spreading xenia!! It may end up being another gift to my son & daughter-in-law.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

OK, here are a couple of pics I tried last week! True clown percula, Randell's Goby & Emerald Green Crab.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And here are a couple of pics of me & my furface baby Faith, and the pic of Faith & Hope ... Christmas Eve shots!!

Now you all know what I look like ... put a face to that name!!!

Old 01/01/2008, 10:42 PM
Excuse My French...

Happy New Year to All Club Members!

To start the new year, here is a (little) picture of my new and just arrived Candy Cane green fluorescent coral:

Much greener than that in reality... More details and pics in my build thread.

No time during the weekend to try the "cut the skimmer" mod... But "Will Do" this
later this week...
Old 01/01/2008, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Nice shot, Laurent Seattle! The Candycane is really nicely inflated & looks great. They are one of my favorites ... they really 'show off' the flourescent color.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:17 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Nice pics Donna! You look luvly!!! And so do all the critters! Luv the clown!

...can't see Reefmack's video...at least not until we get highspeed...
Old 01/02/2008, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Rue!

I've got some brown diatom on the substrate again ... I'm thinking it's still part of the maturing process?? My question is this: When you guys/gals vacuum the sand, what do you use? Does a lot of the substrate get sucked up into the tube, wand, whatever? Is there a good tool to vacuum with? I have the usual vacuum, sometimes I also just use the hose, but I always take out a lot of sand.