Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

View Poll Results: do bowfront tanks give you headaches
yes 12 26.67%
no 29 64.44%
some do - some don't 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12/26/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

do bowfront tanks give you headaches

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 46 gallon bowfront tank. It's a beautiful tank and seemed to have the perfect balance of swim space and front viewing area. However, I heard one of the members here say it gave him headaches.

Quote:
Originally posted by stevelkaneval
probobly a little late but the bow front is a pita to take pics with plus after hours of stareing into it you get a headache. i used to have a 36 bowfront(used to). i would turn it around and put it in a corner and put the rock in the bow so it curves around plus you can take pics and clean it easily.
Is this common with bowfront tanks or is it model specific? I don't mind if that taking pictures is problematic so much but headaches are of course not good at all.

Anyone else experience this?

By the way Steve, turning it around was a nice solution, especially for a corner tank.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

i had a 46 bow and never really got a headach but it all depends on how you look at it.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:52 PM
Team RC Member

NEver heard that. The only headache is when you try to fit a sump under a wedge stand.
That's a headache. [I own a wedge bowfront and the sump is downstairs.]

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:53 PM
Reef Ready

I've heard of that, but I've had the 92gal bow for a few years now without any complaints other than the usual small cabinet and tough lighting.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:06 PM
Team RC Member

I'd say if a bowfront viewing is actually giving you a headache you should check with an optometrist and ask about your prescription. Torqued vision, seriously, where you have eyes that don't quite follow a straight progression in perfect synch at various ranges, can give you headaches, and I can see where some visual distortion [and there is a little] could cause a problem in borderline vision.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Every now and then the curved glass can give you a weird optical illusion. Other than that....no worries. Look from a different angle. LOL

I really love the way bowfronts look, and the only time you can get a weird view is when you are really close up on it.

Tracy
Old 12/26/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
I'd say if a bowfront viewing is actually giving you a headache you should check with an optometrist and ask about your prescription. Torqued vision, seriously, where you have eyes that don't quite follow a straight progression in perfect synch at various ranges, can give you headaches, and I can see where some visual distortion [and there is a little] could cause a problem in borderline vision.
Agree 100%
Old 12/26/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! I did not want to return my tank as I already did that once when I upgraded to a bigger tank. Sounds like the bowfront will be ok. I do however, see myself with my face pressed right up against the glass for hours and hours. Haha, hope that won't be a problem.
Old 12/26/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

I have A 72 gallon bowfront that I love and would only trade for a bigger one. My only complaint is they are hard to find canopies for and not just anyone can build one as easily as you could build a rectangular one. Also retrofit lighting is a bit more tricky.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

no headaches here, but somethimes it made me dizzy, i had a 46 gal bow, everyone that gazed a look at it gave me the same comment, ohh i'm dizzy
Old 12/26/2007, 03:03 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I've never gotten a headache from mine (36 bow), it does have some funky optical effects from the curved front pane if you're not looking at it straight on. I've thought about changing mine out for something with regular flat sides because taking pictures though the curved glass is a bugger, but other than that I love mine.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/26/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sanababit
no headaches here, but somethimes it made me dizzy, i had a 46 gal bow, everyone that gazed a look at it gave me the same comment, ohh i'm dizzy
That would drive me nuts! I have a 46 gallon bowfront as well.

It's such a beautiful looking tank with the viewing area and all but if more and more people are complaining about dizzy and optical effects, I may return mine for a regular rectangular one.

Anyone else? Please keep your comments coming, I don't want to put water in mine to find out I'm getting dizzy.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

I have a 72 Bow and just as stated above there are certain angles that are blurry but in no way do they make me dizzy or give me headaches!! You do have to look from different angles to be able to see in those areas. There are 2 things i dislike about it though, the depth is 12" on the sides and 15" to the middle of the bow. This may make it difficult to get the aquascape you may want. Not to mention the overflow, if it's RR, taking up real estate space. The second is the space in the OEM stand. Anything bigger than the standard 20G acrylic sump will not fit. If i had to do it over again i would get the 75G standard tank for more depth and more underneath stand space.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I remember when bowfronts first came out, I though the whole idea was crazy and I still would never consider owning one. I guess I am just "old school"...
Old 12/26/2007, 07:13 PM
Team RC Member

Mine is nowhere blurry, but they must have used a hot iron form to do the bend: it's a wedge bow, and when you clean the inside you become aware it's very slightly faceted about an inch apart: makes mag-floats stutter a little, but nothing you can't overcome, and you can't see it.
I think the brand on mine is AllGlass.

I would suggest, Marinus, whatever you get, a reef-ready tank is a really good idea.

I like my bowfront very well---if I were to get another, I'd get a 70 or 90g bowfront wedge. The opposed Sea Swirls I use get a really nice chaotic flow going and the lps love it.

Old 12/26/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

I'm a headache getter, and the last time I went to the eye doctor he told me to have a good life, and laughed. Seriously, my eyes are fine, I just don't like looking into them, especially where the curve ends. UGH, can't stare at it for more than a half hour.

As said, straight on is fine, my eyes just don't like the distortions and the optical illusions that near the edges give.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

8 votes for "yes" and 2 for "some do - some don't" worries me, I really donw want spend all the time to setup a new tank to find out I'm getting dizzy looking at it. I want to be able to look at my tank from different angles. I think I'm going to exchange mine for a regular one. Pitty... the tank looks so nice.

Thank you for your votes and comments everyone!
Old 12/27/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

I've had my 72g bow for nearly 3 years now and love it! I agree with thebradybunch, I would only trade it in for a larger version of the same tank. As for the lighting and cabinet issue I custom built mine. I just built a standard style cabinet a little oversized. and I built a standard style canopy as well. To make things look right I took wooden rods and wrapped them in rope and made columns for the front corners of the canopy.

Shot at 2007-02-05
Old 12/27/2007, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

I have never gotten headaches from the curved glass, but when I first set up my tank the halides would give me a headache. Have gotten used to them though and I don't get headaches anymore.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:13 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy953
To make things look right I took wooden rods and wrapped them in rope and made columns for the front corners of the canopy.

Shot at 2007-02-05
That's a really cool idea!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy953
I've had my 72g bow for nearly 3 years now and love it! I agree with thebradybunch, I would only trade it in for a larger version of the same tank. As for the lighting and cabinet issue I custom built mine. I just built a standard style cabinet a little oversized. and I built a standard style canopy as well. To make things look right I took wooden rods and wrapped them in rope and made columns for the front corners of the canopy.

Shot at 2007-02-05
Nice setup my friend

72 Gal bowfront
SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
Tidepool II w/ Euro-Reef RS-100
Osmolator Universal 3155
2 Hydor Koralia 3 @ 850 gph
Old 12/28/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Man, that is an awesome stand and canopy.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Nicely done Navychief. Outstanding setup!
Old 12/28/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I've had a 180 gallon bowfront for 4 years or so now. They only headache is trying to build a bow front stand/canopy for it. I've never gotten a headache from viewing. Eyes go a little wierd if the canopy is open and a look at the lights to long though, but that'll happen with any tank (don't look at the lights).

Aaron