Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/18/2007, 12:56 AM
Moved On

no not at all
Old 08/18/2007, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LukFox
What are the dimensions of your 180, Tiggsy? Sounds interesting.

48" X 30" X 30" of water height....just scrapes the 180g so its build is in the big tank forum

I went for it instead of a 6x2x2 because i belive that when a tank dimension is ore than double another dimension (for example...length of a 6X2 is 3 times the width) it starts to loose something asthetically.

Although my tank is not long it has good depth in each direction relative to any other dimesion......its like mike tyson V larry bird....one is shorter, but would still whoop the other!
Old 08/18/2007, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDhky
Amen, I will give 1000 dollars to the first person that knows exactly what their fish wants. Either because it told them or they used their powers to find out
I just happen to be a fish whisperer, so if you would like, I can come over and talk to your fish for you. I do command a $1,000 per hour fee, plus a fuel surcharge.

I know one thing, there are not many people going to my LFS who have a larger tank. I figure I'm saveing any fish I buy from my LFS b/c they stuff them into 30 gallon tanks. ;0)

Bigger is better obviously, but just b/c you don't buy the fish, doesnt mean that somebody else with the same size or smaller tank won't buy him. If you REALLY want to save them, then you can buy them and fly them back to the south pacific and release them. You think your saveing the fish by not putting him in your tank, but maybe someone will come along and and buy a 10" trigger and stuff him into a 14gallon cube. It will look like the shark in a fish bowl from Tom & Jerry.

Like most people state, use common sense and don't over stock. You want to give them as much swim room as possible. That is why I stopped buying so much live rock. I was takeing up their swim space.
Old 08/18/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDhky
a 120 can be 4 feet if its 3ft tall but Ive never seen one like that, usually 6 feet and ive seen 7 foot 150's. tanks come in all dimensions and you took the extremes of the 2 to compare.
120g's are almost always 4'
And I've never even heard of a 7'L 150g.

It was said above, If you can't afford a big tank and the necc. equipment thatgoes along with it then stick to smaller fish to be responsible.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 08/18/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

WDWDen....I hate that statement and I've heard it too much. Sorry, but me deciding to be responsible and not buy a fish that is not for my tank in no way means that necc. someone else will come along, buy it and stuff it into a small tank. Wher I shop there seems to be a little better info. being given to customers about proper keeping.
I can't do anything about petco and the like but I don't shop there ever.
I can only do what I can do, so I do my best to be responsible.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 08/18/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Choy
one thing to think about........I have seen clown fish get 6 plus inches, and I have an engineer goby that is 7in, so to tell people that they have to have a 75 or a 90 to keep a clown..........well, we would probably have alot less people in the hobby, alot less inovations, alot less products, and alot less stores.......food for thought.
Clownfish are known to stay in a small area on the reef. Unlike say tangs that are open water swimmers.
So a 5" clownfish should NOT be treated the same as a 5" tang

Old 08/18/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
WDWDen....I hate that statement and I've heard it too much. Sorry, but me deciding to be responsible and not buy a fish that is not for my tank in no way means that necc. someone else will come along, buy it and stuff it into a small tank. Wher I shop there seems to be a little better info. being given to customers about proper keeping.
I can't do anything about petco and the like but I don't shop there ever.
I can only do what I can do, so I do my best to be responsible.

Yeah well, at least #5 looked great last night!!
Old 08/18/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

He sure did! I completely agree with you there

Old 08/18/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

a lot of good thoughts and input, but way too much hostility. what marine biology school did some of you guys graduate from anyway? and money is a big factor. sorry i dont have 3 grand to go drop on a tank tomorrow because the tank i bought for my fish is more than three times the size of the one they are currently happy in, but still too small. take a look at most posts and see what people have. 29, 55, 75, 90, that is the norm. and people put fish in these things, that is why they are called fish tanks. crazy but true. if you have a bigger tank, congratulations, but i don't think it is even remotely cool to put people down and insult their intelligence, AND tell them to get out of the hobby. who the H are you people? i've already spent thousands of dollars and untold hours trying to keep my fish healthy and happy. it is even more uncalled for for people to question the amount of money other members make. Ask questions and give advice people. Isn't that why were all here in the first place?
Old 08/18/2007, 12:35 PM
Moved On

thats what I wanted to say but am too much of a butter knife to say it
Old 08/18/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cgib831
a lot of good thoughts and input, but way too much hostility. what marine biology school did some of you guys graduate from anyway? and money is a big factor. sorry i dont have 3 grand to go drop on a tank tomorrow because the tank i bought for my fish is more than three times the size of the one they are currently happy in, but still too small. take a look at most posts and see what people have. 29, 55, 75, 90, that is the norm. and people put fish in these things, that is why they are called fish tanks. crazy but true. if you have a bigger tank, congratulations, but i don't think it is even remotely cool to put people down and insult their intelligence, AND tell them to get out of the hobby. who the H are you people? i've already spent thousands of dollars and untold hours trying to keep my fish healthy and happy. it is even more uncalled for for people to question the amount of money other members make. Ask questions and give advice people. Isn't that why were all here in the first place?
I will give you the same advise as I posted on the other thread. IMO I dont think its cool to put your two 6 in triggers in a 4ft. tank. There are plenty of other fish that can fit and live comfortably in your 90g tank. If I were you I would remove your two 6in triggers from their 29g tank and return them to the lfs and buy some fish that you can care for in your 90g. If you would like some specific examples of fish that would work well for you, tell us what types of fish you like and we can makes suggestions.
Old 08/18/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

You question our experience and beliefs and will do what you want anyway, so why the thread?

Old 08/18/2007, 02:40 PM
Moved On

eagles...read the title of the thread, your question did not pertain to it
Old 08/18/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

SDhky....What question?
And I read the title, that's what brought me to this thread

Old 08/18/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cgib831
So you can't afford a big tank, were not going to put you down for that. You seem to be complaining that you can't keep large fish in a "small" tank and get mad at people for it. Its not their fault that certain fish like for an example tangs, triggers, angels need bigger then average tanks. Its your responsibility to do whats right for your animals in your care. Would you leave your dog chained up all day? I had a 72 gallon and i love tangs and large angels but i was told i couldn't have them and so i listen why and didn't try to flame people for telling me no. I took their advice saved and saved and finally got a decent size tank so i could enjoy those fish that i loved. Just cause i liked the fish and knew 2-4inches wasn't all that big for a 72 i knew it just wasn't right long term to house a fish so upgraded but for the time being kept fish suitable for my size tank.
Old 08/18/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BRabbitC
I have been doing this along time and when people ask me about tank size I have allways been told that (WHEN DEALING WITH MARINE FISH ONLY) The ratio should be for every 1 inch of fish you need 5-10 gallons of water. This is not the same as freshwater. Personally I feel that this is a fairly good ratio for community tanks. Obviously there are fish out there like (Bat Fish) that really need alot more water than this. For triggers, damsels and other hardy fish this ratio has allways been pretty good for me. This is only information met as input into the conversation and in no way is intended to generate an argument. Remember to respect each others opinons.
The inch per gallon ratio you can pretty much throw out the window. There are much more factors out there that you must research first for each fish before you go stock your tank. You got to look at the potential growth of the fish, it swimming habits, aggression, compatibility with other fish you might want to add, eating habits with potential waste of the animal..e.t.c
Old 08/18/2007, 03:17 PM
Moved On

Quote:
You question our experience and beliefs and will do what you want anyway, so why the thread?
that one
Old 08/18/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Numerous people were/are giving him the "Real deal" as was I.
So if he didn't really want to hear any of that or was predetermined to disagree as it seems, then why bother?

Old 08/18/2007, 07:34 PM
10 & Over Club

[flamealert]

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 08/18/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The inch per gallon ratio you can pretty much throw out the window. There are much more factors out there that you must research first for each fish before you go stock your tank. You got to look at the potential growth of the fish, it swimming habits, aggression, compatibility with other fish you might want to add, eating habits with potential waste of the animal..e.t.c
So true.

While it may be perfectly fine to keep a 3" clown fish in a 15-30 gallon tank, or a 24" snowflake eel in a 120 gallon.

Attempting to keep a 36" bamboo shark in 180 gallon tank would be down right cruel. And even a 360 gallon maybe a bit cramped for it.
Old 08/18/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AquaKnight407
IMO there is only one rule, ratio, law etc, that is of course, commonsense. While it's amount is falling drastically by the wayside each day, it's still the only standard to go by. Each tank, fish, setup, is different and unique. I.e. there are Naso's that will be more then happy in a 150 and some that will kill everything in a 220. They are called guidelines for reason, you can go above and under them.

So when somone posts about their yellow and kole tangs w/some other fish in their 75gal, don't jump on them. For all you know, those fish could very well be excited about living there!
Although you could use a rule of thumb, I think AquaKnight has it right. They're not all the same.

My thoughts, what works for one person may not work for another. If you think you could put two tangs in a 125 then try it.
Watch your fish. You can tell if they're stressed or not. If it doesn't work, change something - get rid of a fish, get a bigger tank, etc.

For example, another person posted that a large angel needs a 8' tank. I believe they need a large tank, but I've had success with an Emporer in a 6' 180g. And, if the angel becomes stressed, I'll either get a larger tank or find a new larger home for the fish. But for now, it works.

Somebody may come along and say that it will hurt the long term growth and health of the fish. I would have to ask where the source of information is coming from. I realize all fish, like animals, are better in their natural habitat. But, can we really argue all of these fish facts?

Last edited by Eggs; 08/18/2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08/19/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Guess I have to throw my 2¢ in here....

I've got a 75g and (horrors of horrors!!) there's a yellow tang in there!! ((GASP!!)) The first 3 months I had her she lived in a 29g, then the next 5.9 years she lived in a 55g. And she's been in the 75g for year.

I know she's gonna die any minute now....

Old 08/19/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Zebramosa's seem to be the easiest to keep in smaller tanks like yours. I think most agree with that.

Certain tangs can and will reach much larger sizes than your YT and thus on that fact alone should receive larger homes if they are going to be kept as pets, no?
i.e. Wouldn't keep a rotweiler in a beagles' crate/cage.

Old 08/19/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

i wasn't questioning anyone, the thread is about opinion. what do you think? Thats it. I started it so it would not become what it has, which is a hotbed for insults, because i see that everywhere on this site. I have seen a lot of heated debate. I just wanted to know what people thought was cool. some people go over the top and when someone disagrees with them. why? if someone is so concerned about a topic like this, why don't they give us whatever knowledge they feel they have, and perhaps suggest some other reading. And i am certainly not going to take my fish to my local guy, cause they are just going to go into even smaller tanks with much worse water conditions. the quality of stores varies of course, but some are bad, really. I won't buy livestock from that store anymore because of the conditions, and anything i ever bought was given a better life with much more than a fighting chance.

How about some recomendations? thats all. what do you guys have? what size tank? keep it civil though. it is an opinon thread. No one needs to be wrong or right. some of us are more fortunate than others with the size of their tanks etc. I havent even finished up setting the 90g that i never even though i would have when i was younger, and i am being cruel to animals already. no, i'm expanding. I'm not beng cruel to my fish. I spend more time and money on them than i spend on my dog, and he just lays in a bed all day happily.

No one with a large tank has "been there"? did you all buy 250's when you were 15? I didn't, but i bought what I could and did the best i could. zi think very few people out there have the right to be called experts. I have been keeping tanks since I was in third grade, and i learn stuff everday. EVERYDAY. I think i know a lot, and i probably do. I love knowledge, i seek it because it is fun and allows me to be more proficient and what it is I am doing. That is why i am on reefcentral. don't insult me or anyone else. we are all still just trying.
Old 08/19/2007, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Just some personal observation---I don't know if it because I have lived on here over the past weekend or luck but I have seen 4 threads in the last three days--4 threads more then the 1000 plus threads I have been on---where the skills of discussion --a very positive communication medium are getting mixed up with the negative skills of trying to provoke or win an argument.
....and to add to my observations--strickly mine---it seems to be the same corresponders in the same four threads
I hope it has been bad luck on my part---this site is moderated extradorinarily well and fair--we all owe this site at least to try and conduct a positive discussion so new learnings can occur rather than their valuable time be taken up in acting as referees.

..... IMO the gal per inch rule is becoming outdated with new knowledge and development of filtration methods. super skimmers, use of refugiums, big sumps all increase the ability to hold greater bioloads then before.----however I feel like the other experts that you must also temper that with a knowledge of the particular needs of each fish you add---like the example of tangs--they need the room or they eventually become aggressive and territorial, constant bumping into others and rocks can wound them leaving them open to secondary infections etc etc