Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/26/2007, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

I didn't make it but it's DIY and skimming my 180g. Same dimensions as Deltec AP 1004

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02/26/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

No. I can't imagine that it would really effect flow. I doubt you would have to worry about heat either if the pump is submerged. Still, I'm afraid that there wouldn't be enough flow around the shaft to keep it lubricated on the top end.

I would worry about heat if the pumps were not submerged.

I don't know how I could test for heat exchange. I don't have a lab at my disposal.

There have been threads on this subject in the past. Horizontal mounting just seems more practical. No downside to doing it that way, where there may be a downside to mounted vertically. Why take a chance?

I'ld rather be in Daytona!

Avatar: Photo taken with model Asia Williams posing on my car.
Old 02/26/2007, 01:49 PM
Ultra Rare White SPS

reefkeeperrut,

Very professionally look. How tall is the skimmer and what is the dimension? How many gallons is it rating for?
Old 02/26/2007, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

thanks - it's 40" tall and 12" diameter. Rated for a 1200g.
Old 02/26/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

It looks alot like the one kentrob11 made.
Old 02/26/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

it is the one kentrob11 made.
Old 02/26/2007, 03:28 PM
Master Blaster

Horizontal vs. Vertical

I am certainly no expert, but it seems to me that the horizontal orientation will allow the output to be placed closer to the bottom of the skimmer allowing for longer bubble reaction, especially on shorter skimmers. I've seen so many diy's that have the output up to half way up the reaction chamber. Am I right?
Old 02/26/2007, 03:33 PM
Just a member

here's what I've completed so far - just running it w/ fresh and vinegar now:

it's a total of 23" (including the dome) and 10" OD.

I'm using a meshmodded 1262 and will be injecting it with an air pump doing appx 40 cfm or so.

The 1262 draws about 60w and the air pump should be around 30.

I am cheating and using the cup from my MR2 though; I'll probably make one of my own in awhile (so I can sell the MR2) but if I spend any more time in the basement, I may end up being forced to live down there.
Old 02/26/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Maybe a little lower, but not much, if any.

Old 02/26/2007, 03:40 PM
Ultra Rare White SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkeeperrut
it is the one kentrob11 made.
I notice there is a 1/4" tubing going to both side of the skimmer neck. What does that do and how does it works?
Old 02/26/2007, 03:45 PM
Master Blaster

drain?
Old 02/26/2007, 03:51 PM
El Jefe de WRS

The higher the pump (or the inlet for the air), the more potential air you can suck in as well.

Josh, you are correct. Some skimmer designs have the pump outlets raised up on the skimmer (as well as the pumps and the air intakes) to allow for greater air intake (less back pressure). The side-benefit is that if the outputs are kept lower in the skimmer, there is a downdraft created between the inlets and outlets which extends bubble dwell time... or does it???

Here is an example of one skimmer that uses this...

If the pumps were mounted lower on the skimmer, they wouldnt be able to pull in nearly as much air as if they were mounted with their outlets lower. This also makes the bottom half of the skimmer a 'downdraft' where smaller bubbles will get held in suspension for a very long contact time.

There is a disadvantage to this though...
because the pump outlet is 1/2 way up on the skimmer, even the bubbles that were caught in the downdraft of the skimmer must rise up through the massive turbulence that the pump outlet creates at the 1/2 way point. This turbulence can negate the efffects of all that extended dwell time because the bubbles lose the proteins that they may have attracted in their downdraft stage. So its a mixed bag. The response to this is to use a larger diameter body, or a pump with less output so as to reduce the turbulence, but then you are also reducing the downdraft effect... so the idea starts to lose meaning.

I was considering a 6" diameter skimmer that is 4.5' tall, with a single mixing pump on it... inlet mounted 4" above the bottom, and outlet mounted 24" up on the skimmer to create this downdraft, as well as decrease the back-pressure on the air intake. But the turbulence created by the pump's outlet at 24" of height would really disrupt the bubbles that were raising up from the bottom 24" of the skimmer to the top anyways... hmmm... so I could increase the diameter of the skimmer to 8"! Oh, wait, then I lose the downdraft effect...hmm....

Back to the ole-drawing board.
Old 02/26/2007, 03:55 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Oh, and as for the idea that mounting one of these pumps with the shaft in a vertical potition, and this somehow creates a 'pocket' of air... that is pure bunk.

These pumps can be oriented any direction and any air pockets that are around the magnet will be quickly cleared by the spinning of the impeller/magnet. Notive how the magnet area isnt a pure cylinder, but there are grooves or channnels around the magnet area? Thats so that water can be drawn in and around the magnet area for cooling. Even with a pocket of air in there, the magnets will purge the air very quickly thanks to those channels.
Old 02/26/2007, 04:00 PM
Master Blaster

What if you angled the output at just the right angle to "swirl" it around the inside diameter of the reaction chamber. Especially if you were using multiple pumps, like a whirlpool. With a GenX pump or something similar you could dial in the output of the pump to compensate, or do you think that turning down the output would really reduce the amount of air pulled in?
Old 02/26/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I can't see any real benefit to having such a high input point. Might as well make the skimmer shorter, and save on the cost of acrylic tubing.

I think the best design is to go very large in diameter and have an inside chamber for the turbulent input. Then the water would rise out of the inside tube, and go down around the outside of it to drain at the bottom. This gives you the down draft effect mentioned.

Old 02/26/2007, 04:10 PM
Team RC Member

Heres my first one, but I'm working on a few new ones:

Old 02/26/2007, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bugs
I notice there is a 1/4" tubing going to both side of the skimmer neck. What does that do and how does it works?
they feed the wetneck
Old 02/26/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member.

Very Nice!
Flow: 2,100 GPH
Skimmer: Aqua C 120 w/ Mag7
Old 02/26/2007, 09:59 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Heres mine:

DSCN2769

DSCN2800

DSCN2779

8x22 chamber
4" Neck
Eheim 1262 @ 900lph
DIY Twist Lock
Sheet PVC and Cast Acrylic
Kickin Nasty Goo

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 02/26/2007, 10:02 PM
Just a member

Dandy,

what impeller and venturi are you using?

Pete
Old 02/26/2007, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

dandy,

how did you make the twist lock? Very nice btw.
Old 02/27/2007, 12:19 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

DIY Venturi
DIY Impeller
DIY twisty

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 02/27/2007, 03:30 AM
Premium Member

Here's my 53" tall diy. I used 2 6"ODx 36" tall reaction chambers to reduce cost. The 6" cost $35 and the 8" cost $200 for a 6' piece, and if you do the math 2x6" chambers will hold the volume of 1x8" chamber of the same height. I also utilized PVC for the plumbing. A $250 build (without the pump), and here are a couple of pics for ya. Oh, and becketts all the way!

Old 02/27/2007, 10:53 AM
Ultra Rare White SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkeeperrut
they feed the wetneck
I have heard of a wetneck but not really sure how it works. How often do you feed the wetneck? Do you feed it manually? If you don't mind, can you take a picture of the wetneck in action?
Old 02/27/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
DIY Venturi
DIY Impeller
DIY twisty
Was the "DIY Venturi" and "DIY Impeller" supposed to be links?