Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

What pump to buy for DIY re-circ skimmer

I'm going to convert a Coralife Super Skimmer that I have laying around. It's the 125 model so it's about 22" tall and around 5" wide. I will probably use the original plumbing as the feed/return and will drill out holes for the needle wheel re-circ pump. My total sysmtem volume is 65 gallons with a moderate to heavy stock. What pump would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

if you want a quiet pump do not buy a gen-x. If you don't mind the noise they are good and cheep and work good. I would recommend a gen-x 2400 with needlewheel for that size skimmer.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Harold, thats what I really needed recommendations on, what size pump to use for this size. I will check them out.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I second the gen-x2400 I have a skimmer thats the same size which i switch out the original pump with the gen-x...needles to say its a bit loud but gets the job done
Old 11/17/2007, 08:47 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Id do a Quiet One 3000... sure, it can do up to 1000lph of air, but the amount of water is passes is very low (like 1500lph of water). Gen-X style pumps that create just half of the airflow of this will throw twice as much water around.

Its a $40 pump, easy to mod with enkamat for a threadweel. You can turn back the air to 700lph or so and have a very nice, quiet pump for cheap.

Next best option? Threadwheel eheim 1250.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Bump
Old 11/23/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

i have a similar thread on pump selection for a 6-inch skimmer:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1255392

i started that thread so that i wouldn't hijack yours, as our skimmer designs seem to be different and may require different pumps; my skimmer will be gravity fed from upstairs tank overflows.

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 11/23/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of gravity feeding mine but I won't get the same flow that you will since my sump is below my tank. I'm going to feed it with a small pump and I am trying to find a good needle wheel pump to use as a recirc. pump.
This will be my first recirculating skimmer, what do I need to consider as far as maximizing my air intake?
Old 11/23/2007, 04:52 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Just make a good venturi, and dont put the pump under more than 18" of water depth.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Gen-X style pumps that create just half of the airflow of this will throw twice as much water around.

Its a $40 pump, easy to mod with enkamat for a threadweel. You can turn back the air to 700lph or so and have a very nice, quiet pump for cheap.
Hahn, (been reading alot of your comment from various mod skimmer thread, seems that you have a lot of experience with modded mesh):
I'm in the middle of modifying Gen-X 2400 for a skimmer pump. But it hardly hit 300lph of air. I've done meshmod.
Any suggestion? ventury design? dimension of the mesh?

TIA,
Jim.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:03 PM
El Jefe de WRS

2400s only can get up to about 12 scfh from what I remember. The 4100's are the star of the Gen-X line. I am no expert when it comes to the Gen-X pumps though. I have messed with a 4100 before... just a little, but I find these pumps to be 'scary', so I quit using them.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:26 PM
SNAFU

What are you going to do about the "Inner chamber" of the skimmer?
Old 12/26/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

has anyone got long term experience with the quiet one 3000 pump in an aspirating skimmer where the pump is mounted externally (dry)?

i just bought a pair of the QO3k pumps for a skimmer project. be forewarned that although the packaging says "internal/external use" on the box, there's a red slip of paper stuffed in the box that says "for internal use only."

I've also heard anecdotal reports of QO3k pumps running hot and burning out in air-cooled installations.

Old 12/27/2007, 12:23 AM
WildThing....You Moved Me

That's odd. I bought one a few weeks back and there was no red paper warning message in the box.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:53 AM
One Good Friend

I plersonally don't care for the QO's anymore, there a pita to mod and have start up problems. The genx's are cheap as well but rust. I'd jus go with a sedra or OR.
Old 12/27/2007, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GuySmilie
That's odd. I bought one a few weeks back and there was no red paper warning message in the box.
I don't know whether or not the red slips of paper are something new. I bought the pumps from AquariumGuys. They drop-shipped them from a fulfillment center in Pennsylvania. I'm guessing that a drop shipper would have pretty rapid turnover and that the pumps would be recent production models.