Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Question Mods for Finnex 30 Gal?

First Post here at RC. Been reading a while and this sems like a great place to come to for help and answers.

I'm new to reefing and just purchased a new Finnex 30 Gal tank w/150w HQI. I was wondering what Mods should I make to the tank if any? I plan on keeping a mix of corals and maybe a few fish. I'd like to do any mods or upgrades before I get it in place and filled. Is the pump good enough and do I need a SWID or wavemaker?

Now for more questions...

What do I put in the refugium, Live rock? Sand? How much sand should I put in the tank, I was thinking 1 1/2'' and how many pounds of live rock should I purchase, 30 or 50?

I should be getting the tank delivered this week. I built my own stand and I'm getting ready.

Ack there's so much to figure out. I'm going to need alot of help getting this all setup right. Any input would be GREAT!
Old 11/13/2006, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

check out this thread:http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

I just got this same tank also but with t5 lights

the tank is so new to the market that nobody has really had a chance to play around with mods. there is a link in that thread of someone who got there tank early and has had it going for a while and idk if he did any mods.

in terms of live rock, if you look on page 5 of the thread, you'll see how much space 30lbs of live rock takes up. If i were to get live rock again, i'd probably get 25lbs and probably 5lbs of rubble. I got my rock from www.premiumaquatics.com and am fairly happy with it but there is a lot of die off.