Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/28/2006, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Thanks man, hope you feel better.

Russ
Old 01/28/2006, 08:58 PM
IM KING NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

well russ i am feeling way better but still sick. i got a superman danea, pink mili, and a few other acros tonight all in a raffle. as fr updates im off to bed, but ill pos totmmor when i wake up.
Old 01/28/2006, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like it was a real good raffle. I want pix.

Have a good nite and wake up feeling perfect.

Russ
Old 01/29/2006, 11:06 AM

well i woke up feeling great but still sick. anyways, im updating the thread today with more pics. but i am in need of an answer. those little white wire tie holders like you posted in your pic, are they affecting the water quality or coming off at all? i am wondering if that adhesive might cause the water to get all crapy. pics to come
phil
Old 01/29/2006, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

I have no clue whether they're perfectly reef safe or not, but I've used them in other instances. They hold exceptionally well. One will hold several pounds directly for several months before any sign of coming loose. You could always dab a small bit of silicon around them to seal off the adhesive from the water if worried about contamination.
Old 01/29/2006, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

The cable ties are absolutely no issue. The cable tie holder has shown no signs of any problems whatsoever. And as Siffy said, just run some silicone around them.
Old 01/29/2006, 01:27 PM

ah ok i will do that, as for pis they are coming. I have been busy planning my wall today and getting over the dang cold. im off to update my thread thanks again
Old 01/30/2006, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

http://www.******************/Merchan...Code=2NewArriv

Hey Russ I just cam across this and I remembered that you were looking for one.
Old 01/30/2006, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmondo
http://www.******************/Merchan...Code=2NewArriv

Hey Russ I just cam across this and I remembered that you were looking for one.
Thanks man. That is beautiful. The timing of it isn't right at the moment. I appreciate you looking out for me.

Russ
Old 01/31/2006, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Yeah no problem, and i didn't forget about the pics of my tank, I have a final and a report coming up for my winter session class. So this weekend I should be able to find a camera and take some pics.
Old 02/16/2006, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Great tank! I wish I had the patience's to put something like this together.
Old 02/16/2006, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Thank you Mike. Patience was definitely the name of the game......mine sure was tried during the process (more than once).

Russ
Old 02/16/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Really great idea! Can't wait to see it maturing!

Thumbs up!
Kaserpick
Old 02/16/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

ok its been definantly to long without an update on the tank so please picks!!!!!!

cheers
tim
Old 02/19/2006, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Your rock work is absolutely stunning! I love it! Can't wait to see how it looks in a few months!

Anna
Old 02/19/2006, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tim, thanks for the bump. Unfortunately I've been laid up for a little while. Sorry for the long lapse between pix and updates. All is still looking good, but it'll be a little while before I can post any new pix. I promise I will when I'm up and about again. Thanks again.

annamarie421, TY for your kind words. I'll keep y'all posted.

Russ
Old 02/20/2006, 09:16 PM

hey man same here with the hangups, school sucks. spring training is in full bloom for me (iget fresh blood on the florida marlins this year lol). got to do that and thats the main reason i havent been updating. i wanna se eupdated pics of yours and i am updating pic tmmrw for mine kepp looking and still hope it looks as good as in the last pic, phil
Old 03/08/2006, 03:37 AM
Registered Member

Hi, masterswimmer,

I just came across this thread, and am impressed with your work on this nano.

I have an exactly same tank, and was wondering how are you going to keep it cool in the summer with the MH? I am in So. California, so it is very hot in summer, often higher then 86 degrees, not sure about Mississippi. I have been hoping to convert the tank into a nano reef tank, but am concerned about the heat issue.

Thanks.
Old 03/08/2006, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

firerock, thanks for the compliment. I am actually in NY, not Mississippi.

I will be keeping the ambient room temperature at about 68 degrees with air conditioning. I'm hoping that will be all I have to do. At this moment only time will tell. This will be the first summer with this tank. Crossing my fingers.

Please post a link to pix of your setup. I'm always interested in other folks tanks.

Russ
Old 03/08/2006, 10:11 AM
My Life for Aiur!

I was very surprised when I stumbled on this thread that someone linked to from another thread. This is surprisingly old and I had never seen it. Thank goodness I found it, because I was having trouble trying to figure out how I was going to get a DIY Rock rockwall on a center overflow. Now, I can take it a step at a time and build it piece by piece and cure them seperate instead of building one giant rock! Thanks for the awesome idea masterswimmer.

Here is a link to my thread if you would like to take a look. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=682002
Old 03/08/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

For someone in NY you sure stay up late.

You probably don't have to worry about heat issues like I do. Summer in NY is nowhere comparable to So. Cal. Do you know just how many degrees of heat does the MH adds to the tank?

My 16 gallon was converted from a FW QT tank into a SW QT. I have been planning to convert it into a nano reef tank, but has not been able to decide on the lighting choices due to heat issues. When I have it up and running like yours I'll for sure post some pics.

Thanks.
Old 03/08/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Another question that's a little off topic, hope you don't mind.

I noticed that you are using SLS 6 X 54W fixture on your other tank, how's your experience with it? Are you able to keep the colors of some of the exotic SPS frags that you have gotten (Tyree LE) under the T-5 lighting? Have you noticed shifts of colorations of your frags under two different lightings?

Thanks.
Old 03/09/2006, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

fire, I would say the MH adds about 2 - 3 degrees when they come on during the day.

I like my T-5's. They have unbelievable PAR. As a matter of fact I have to place some of my SPS midway down to avoid bleaching or just to maintain color.

I'm excited about URI (now UV) coming out with a T5 VHO actinic. That's the one spectrum (POP) that I feel T5's have been lacking.

Russ
Old 03/10/2006, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. 2 - 3 degrees is not bad at all.

I also have a SLS 6 bulbs T-5 fixture for a little more than a month, but mine is 6 X 39w because my tank is only 3' long. I really like the fixture, and also had to move SPS lower to avoid bleaching. Have you experienced any browning of SPS under the fixture? I have had multiple bleachings and one case of browning. Not sure if it is due to too much light.

What does URI actinic offer that D&D doesn't? I have seen threads mentioning it, but what does T5 lacking at this moment?

Thanks.
Old 03/10/2006, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Fire, funny you mention about SPS bleaching. After two years of having my T5's 2" above the tank (about 3" above the water) I've finally decided I'm not thrilled with the colors. Things are growing, just not coloring up the way I see in other tanks.

Just 2 days ago, I raised the TEK light another 4" above the tank. It's now about 6" instead of 4" above. In that time, approx. 30 hrs. I notice my green monti cap starting to color up, my green staghorn and my pink stylophora coloring up better too.

I'm also shortening my photoperiod starting tomorrow. I've been running actinics for 14 hrs. and daylights 12 hrs.

I'm changing that to 12 hrs. actinic and 10 hrs. daylight. I'm hoping that helps to bring out the colors I know these corals can produce.

I'll keep you posted.

Also, the D & D actinics just don't have the POP to flouresce my corals the way the URI VHO actinics do. This is just my opinion (and lots of others). There are those that like it just the way it is. Just a matter of preference.

Russ