Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2007, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Bug Bombs and Reef Tanks

It looks like I managed to acquire an infestation of beetles. Just wondering what to do because I currently have two open fish tanks.

Either I could just not bug bomb at all and attempt to spot treat areas. But, as the beetles seem attracted to water, I'm not sure what good that would do.

Any ideas, thoughts, testimonies?
Old 07/20/2007, 04:06 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Had my exterminator out his week to talk about a flea issue. He said he can aerosol the roms with the tanks in them but they would have to be covered with plastic and have all pumps turned off.

I've decided my flea problem isn't that bad.
Old 07/20/2007, 04:53 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by cdangel0

I've decided my flea problem isn't that bad.
Have you thought about taking a flea dip
Old 07/20/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

That exterminator is smarter than most people. I would expect most people who aren't in the hobby to not think twice about bombing a room like that. I too would cover the tanks and shut the pumps down.
Old 07/20/2007, 05:05 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

That exterminator is also looking to make money.
Old 07/20/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Several years ago my parents had to bomb the basement, where my tank was, because of fleas. Now this was with a 29 gallon fresh water tank but, I pulled off the filter double ziplock bagged it along with the air pump. I then took half a roll of plastic wrap and sealed it up like a nut case with OCD. Two hours later after an hour of running a crazy hepa filter my tank was back in action. No problems at all, but I don't know if I would try that with my saltwater tank. If I did I would leave at least one pump up and running for flow.
Old 07/20/2007, 10:54 PM
Who's your daddy

i have an exterminator every 3 months weather i need it or not for three years no problem other than spaying chem directly in the tank you shouldnt have a problem just turn off any pumps that introduce air into the tank and cover the tank
Old 07/21/2007, 06:14 AM
Tony Montanas electrician

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubbin1
Have you thought about taking a flea dip
Old 07/21/2007, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubbin1
That exterminator is also looking to make money.
Most exterminators use references for new business, so killing a clients fish would be counter productive to maintaining a healthy business.

Funny thing is that I know of a 19-yr-old kid given the duty to bug bomb the house on the way out the door. He had the wisdom to evict the cats to the garage, but the gerbils weren't nearly as lucky and succumbed to the fumes.

Well, I'm just spot treating the house and I put out some toxic honey pots out for the beetles. Hopefully, I can just get the infestation to burn itself out. So far, so good.

Speaking of an OCD victim, I already have all my foods in canisters and plastic bags to combat a moth infestation. I guess it's time to step up the offensive.
Old 07/21/2007, 05:52 PM
Save a reef. Buy a frag

I have bug bombed my house. I turned off the lights and pumps and then covered the tank with painters plastic. Did loose a think and I got rid of my flea problem.