Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member.

i have to agree it works well.... cystal clear water the next day
Old 08/18/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

well in my experiment
day 1 no change
day 2 a lot better
day 3 sifoned all cyano that was left and did a 20% WC
day 4 blues only water looked great
day 5 full light and looks the best i ever seen it
i just hope it stays cyano free for now on, wish me luck

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 08/18/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkoi
I wouldn't take it personally. If they are having issues with the tank and need to do the lights off for some reason then it's likely something else is causing the RTN.
I don't doubt that your method "works" for getting rid of algae problems in the tank. The fact that people are having issues and can't resolve them any other way than going dark bothers me a little bit.
I hope people don't all jump on this as a "cure", they need to really examine the tank as a whole and figure out why they are having difficulty controlling the algae.

I went through the whole brown sand and brown rock issue a year ago, I fought the temptation to use chemicals or going dark.
I'm glad I did, I upgraded the RO unit, skimmer, flow in the tank, and added more snails/crabs.
Knock on wood I don't have a spot of any algae but coralline.

Chris

ps: sorry if this seems negative, I don't want to start any problems, it's just how I feel about "crutches" as I like to call them.
I agree completly. This is NOT solution to any problem.......your killing things off with a lack of light.......not getting rid of the CAUSE of the problem. I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving your lights off for a day or two but going further is pushing your luck IMO. What's the point when the problem is still there? I can see how this would work, but IMO it's idiotic..........I'm sure I just ****ed some people off. Your stressing your corals, fish, etc........I really don't care what you say, it's a fact. Why not drain the tank and see what happens? No light, no water should work wonders. I'm sorry but I find this insane......I am not attacking any one on here but this is just plain crazy.............FIX THE REAL PROBLEM.
Old 08/18/2007, 08:25 PM
forever newbie

I understand what your saying RYNON, but there certainly is nothing stressful with going without lights for 3 days. There are storms in the ocean that last longer.
I only did lights off for 2 days and couldn't get over how much better my tank looked. Even though I have no bad algaes to begin with, I was very pleased with the outcome.
Old 08/18/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Great!!! All I'm saying is lights out for a long period of time is NOT addressing the real problems....the ocean gets cyano! I can see having a SET timer on your lights being kind of crazy but this is equally nuts IMO. I've had cyano for a year, hasn't hurt a thing but is annoying......it is getting to be less and less by the day.....it will go away when I figure out the problem OR it burns itself out. I can see doing this as a LAST HOPE....but a small problem......who cares? I have byropsis and I hate it, am I going to try this.....NO. Do I think 3 days with no light hurts, nope. I just think there are other, better solutions to problems with algae. I am also not going to raise my Mg to crazy levels to kill the algae. I have had Boyds Chemi Clean in my house for a YEAR, I have not used it, and won't. I guess I like the natural approach? I KNOW storms and or hurricanes and such are natural in the ocean, however there is still light............I live in Michigan, somehow I don't think that equals the light in the tropics? A cloudy day here is a lot different than a cloudy day on the equator. I just think this is a easy way out and not dealing with the REAL problem. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.....like I said this is just my opinion.
Old 08/18/2007, 08:47 PM
TRC Leader

Which is fine. If you prefer to look at it in your tank, and it doesn't bother you as much as it bothers me, there's no issue. However, if you don't like it and don't want to use a chemical solution to solve it, leaving your lights off for 3 days is another option that has worked for many.

Including myself.
Old 08/18/2007, 08:52 PM
forever newbie

How do you have cynao for a yr? With all your fancy equipment, you shouldn't be having cynao. Maybe you need is a koralii 3 in your tank to better direct your flow?
I will turn my lights off again beginning of Sept. The tank still gets plenty of ambient light. If I had an algae problem I would do the 3 full days.
Old 08/20/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

IMO I think if you did the lights out and a water change, your results will be better than just a water change, as far as getting rid of cyano.
Old 08/20/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
How do you have cynao for a yr? With all your fancy equipment, you shouldn't be having cynao. Maybe you need is a koralii 3 in your tank to better direct your flow?
I will turn my lights off again beginning of Sept. The tank still gets plenty of ambient light. If I had an algae problem I would do the 3 full days.
How do you have cyano for a year? Beats me? I've asked everyone I can think of about this. The common answer: You have too low of flow, I have a Mag 9 return, Korallia 4, Tunze 6100 maxed out, supposedly a great skimmer, refugium, I believe I calculated my flow at 58x per hour.....to lazy to recheck. I know that turning the light off for three days is not going to kill corals or anything like that. My only point is that there is another reason for the algae, correct? I have also tested my water over and over, nothing shows up, nitrate 0, phosphate 0.....I know they can still be there but some people have nitrates of 30 and phosphates of 2 and have no algae? The cyano WAS a LOT worse a while back, it now takes 3 weeks to cover anything and thats just on the sand, not on rocks or corals. The reason I have not done anything "drastic" is because it's just annoying, it's not killing anything or making my tank look horrible after a week. If I was too the point some people are with hair algae or cyano I WOULD most likely try this. BTW my tank looks fine IMO, I only get the cyano on the sand but other than that my water looks crystal clear, rocks are clean, etc. I've had that Boyds Chemi-Clean sitting in a drawer for a year.....I guess I just like the natural approach. There are a few things that would scare me about trying this lights out thing, first of all my Ph, second I think my fish would be all messed up due to the low light..............I guess I'm just not to this point yet? I have had hair algae in the past and it went away? Everyones tank is different and everyones opinion is different. If I HAD to choose chemicals or no lights I would go with no lights....easy decision.
Old 08/20/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rynon
I only get the cyano on the sand
If the cyano is only on the sand, then get a sand shifting goby (goldhead) and it'll be gone in no time.
Good luck.
Old 08/20/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Can someone explain one thing to me? How can anyone think this is any different than using chemical cleaners? Your masking the problem not dealing with the issue. I understand chemicals are worse but this kind of deals with the problems the same way. The ocean has algae, why shouldn't your tank?
Old 08/20/2007, 06:40 PM
TRC Leader

Why do you think (repeatedly) that this is "masking" a problem? How about how it breaks up the life cycle of cyano bacteria enough to cause it to implode and die?

Your tank has 0 nitrate and phosphate, yet you see algae. The water isn't that pure, the two are just bound up in the algae. And how exactly are you "dealing with the issue" with your ignoring the situation until it eventually fades away?

Siphoning it out will break up its cycle as well, especially if you can remove the majority of it.
Old 08/20/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

OK I agree that it may kill the algae which would put the nutrients into the water and allow for them to be removed by water changes, skimming, etc. Chemicals do the same thing....in a different way. I am not trying to fight with you.....you clearly know more about saltwater than me. All I was trying to do was to get people thinking differently about this.....that's all. I am not ignoring the problem either. I have changed all kinds of things on my tank, spending a lot of money, siphoning it out WHEN it needs to be siphoned. Please don't say I'm ignoring the issue when I've spent who knows how much trying to fix the problem. AND it is going away, taking it's sweet time but slowly fading away. It's not hurting anything in my tank so what's the rush? I said this before but IF I HAD to do this for the creatures in my tank I would....but a little cyano dust on the sand, not worth it IMO. I think that's about all I have to say.......so I will not post anything else you see as being an argument to "everyones" position.
Old 08/20/2007, 07:04 PM
forever newbie

Rynon, you need to start syphoning, turn your lights out, and maybe get your sand shifting fish.
Did you do the Carib-sea bag of Argo-life sand? If you did, I'll bet you anything that is the major problem of your having cyano that long. I do know you have all the 'new' and improved equipment but IMO you still aren't paying enough attention to the problem.
Old 08/20/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

I think I'm done with this thread. I've stated my opinions and nothing else. I never said "I'm right, your wrong". I have tried MANY if not ALL the typical "fixes" for cyano, they haven't worked completely. Yes Skippy I did use the baged sand, it's also in another newer tank without issue. I don't really want to fight with anyone anymore so I'm out of this thread for good. Like I've said the entire time, this was all just my opinion.....I'm entitled to that aren't I?
Old 08/20/2007, 07:39 PM
forever newbie

I don't see anyone arguing with you Ryan. We are trying to help you get rid of your cynao. Like you said, IMO, goes for all of us. See you Wensday
Old 08/24/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Last reply to "lights out".

This had me fired up enough to email some experts IMO. According to them, there is NO reason to turn your lights off if your tank is well maintained. Getting the upper hand on a tank that is not so well maintained will help you out if you change LOTS of water during this period. Also algae is millions of years old, how are you going to solve that in 3 days? It's going to come back unless you fix the issue. I've cured rock in the dark for a month...........um, yeah, algae sprouts on it.....explain that. Like I said there are situations where this becomes needed but in most cases...fix the problem!!!! Anyone who has water less than clear, carbon works! I AM NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT......just an opinion. Ban me if you must. I know I said I would not post about this again.............sorry, if you contest my opinion I WILL give my opinion back. This is all opinions..remember that.
Old 08/24/2007, 09:51 PM
Moderator Clone

rynon,

I moved your reply here, since you seemed to be starting another thread - and trying to start a fight.

ANd you are absolutely right, there is NO reason to turn off your lights if your tank is well maintained. However, if you have a cyano problem, your tank isn't well maintained.

As far as algae being millions of years old... well not in most people's tanks it's not... oh, that plus cyano isn't algae. Turning off the lights help people break the cyano cycle and helps them get a handle on the underlying problem. For whatever reason, attacking the root causes when the tank isn't a red slimey mass seems to work better than when it is.

All of this shouldn't cause a real problem for you, or get you "fired up."

FWIW,
Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 08/25/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Nope I'm fine. I was not trying to start a fight, if I was I would get nasty right now. I agree with what you said....that is all. Thanks Kevin.
Old 08/31/2007, 08:21 AM
This is my Passion

Old 08/31/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

i have done this, and it works on virtually all sorts of algae, BUT the reason why it works, I think, is being mis-interpreted!

on my first attempt, the blackout gave me virtually no improvement, other than a change in the dominant species of algae...
then i added a load more grazers...

the second attempt had left me with far less algae than at the start of the blackout...
then i added even more grazers!
the third attempt really has made a big difference! although hair algae is still in evidence, it is mainly under control, and higher species (calerpa etc) are starting to sprout around my remote DSB...

my conclusion?

the real reason this "works" is that nocturnal micro and macro grazers go on a three day "binge" while their predators are either asleep or disorientated by the darkness!
the extra growth in the DSB is caused by all the extra "grazers poo" that is left in the system!

i now use small spiny urchins as the primary grazer; they are active chaps during lights out, but all disappear under rocks during the day, and don't ruin the display by being visible! when the lights go out for three days, nobody's gonna stop them babies from eating!
Old 08/31/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Here's my opinion.....and it's not nasty so don't worry. I believe this will work on simple algaes and cyanobacteria. However I seriously doubt that it would work on things like byropsis. This has probably been said before but to keep the problem from coming back you NEED to do a LOT of water changes during this blackout. The algae grew for a reason, when it dies, this "reason" is released back into the water.......if you change it and get rid of the "reason" it may not come back. I personally do not believe that if I turned my lights out for 3 days my cyano would just be gone forever......it would come back in a couple weeks, same as it does after I do a water change, BUT, IF I changed massive amounts of water, cleaned up all the detrius, added some flow, basically got everything set the way it should be...............I MAY end up with no cyano. See, that was perfectly nice, right?
Old 08/31/2007, 09:50 AM
forever newbie

Your only being nice because it's too early to drink wine, Ryan lol
Old 08/31/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

i started doing this because i had a "wirey" algae that was impossible to pull out, (as your fingers slipped on it,) and nothing, but nothing, that i could buy or catch locally would eat it!

that species of algae has pretty much been eradicated! i believe the fluffy hair algae was able to take over as the dominant "nuisance" species, in the first blackout, because id DIDN'T remember to black out the tank fully, and the hair algae still photosysnthesised, whereas the wire algae couldnt in the reduced light levels.
i don't for one minute believe this is anything more than the most un-natural algae control method i've ever found, but:
1) it's free! (in fact better than free, it saves electricity too!)
2) it works better than all the "treatments" that i've tried
3) i don't need to stick my hands in the tank to do it... it's high summer here, and i'm handling around 10KG of loose dichlorine tablets each day... it doesn't matter how many times i wash my hands, i can't risk sticking them in the tank each evening!
Old 08/31/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
Your only being nice because it's too early to drink wine, Ryan lol
Wine? Not a wine drinker.....usually. I'm being nice because I'm sure this CAN help if other steps are taken during this blackout. If you don't remove any nutrients during this process, they are still available to algae when the lights come back on. I am getting really close to doing this JUST so I know for myself how well it works. I'm not to the point where I NEED to do anything, the cyano is going away but still there. I'll let you know if I decide to try this.......maybe I'll do it more than once, one time taking no steps (no water changes), the second time doing water changes???? I do agree this is safer than chemicals too. BTW Peggy I'm not sure it's ever TOO early for a drink?