Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/14/2007, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Clear PVC

I was wondering if anyone had ever used the 6" clear pvc for media chambers, calcium reactors, phytoplankton reactors, or zoevit reactors.

If so how did it work out.

If not why

thanks

jeff
Old 01/14/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I haven't used 6" round clear PVC but I made a nelson reactor out of 8" round. It's worked perfectly and is much easier to work with than acrylic. It can also hold more pressure/thickness I think, but don't quote me on it, that's what a plastics guy told me. Since most reactors/skimmers get some kind of algae/dirt on them over time, I never saw the point of using acrylic. The clarity only last so long...

HTH
Old 01/14/2007, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Do you remember where you bought it. I saw a schedule of 40 10ft peices of 6" for a little over $300. I was just look for four or five tubes. Also did the standard fittings fit.
Old 01/15/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

I used 6" CLEAR PVC for a 6' tall skimmer. The rest went to a club member for calcium reactors.

They work great and fit into standard PVC fittings. The stuff is more durable than acrylic and easier to tool. I paid $80 for 10' of harvel 6" on eBay. Just keep your eyes open.
Old 01/15/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Standard fittings did not fit, but unlike regular PVC, it comes in different thicknesses. I bought it 4' of 8" for $50 at a local plastics supplier. I suggest calling around, it's not that expensive, nothing like cast acrylic.

HTH
Will
Old 01/15/2007, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j0tca
Standard fittings did not fit, but unlike regular PVC, it comes in different thicknesses. I bought it 4' of 8" for $50 at a local plastics supplier. I suggest calling around, it's not that expensive, nothing like cast acrylic.

HTH
Will
PVC pipe is all the same O.D. for each schedule and nominal pipe size. The I.D. is what differes. So for 6" PVC the common schedules are #40 and #80. Both have the same OD, but different ID. The 80 is thicker than the 40. It most certainly fits in standard PVC fittings.

You may have found "clear pvc" that is NOT sized the same as nominal pipe, but it is not likely as thick as sch.40 pipe either. ASM skimmers for example are made of PVC (not acrylic like some people think) and the size is not a standard pipe size.

Clear PVC in standard nominal pipe sizes costs MORE than the similar sized CAST or EXTRUDED acrylic. Check the harvel (or competitators) catalogs and websites if you want to learn more.

As a side note: There are other "types" of PVC pipe. (DWV) for example and it does NOT fit standard fittings.
Old 01/15/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

BeanAnimal,

Meaning no disrespect, but you have a habit for propounding falsities. Unlike many others, I have no wish to argue with you.

jdfenn,

just find a local supplier and ask what they have, they will be able to help you with what size they have available. I suggest you ask them as opposed to assuming it's standard.
Old 01/15/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

And if you are near a city, there are generally many industrial suppliers who stock clear pvc. Grab a yellowpages and you'll be able to find what you're looking for.
Old 01/15/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
BeanAnimal,

Meaning no disrespect, but you have a habit for propounding falsities. Unlike many others, I have no wish to argue with you.

jdfenn,

just find a local supplier and ask what they have, they will be able to help you with what size they have available. I suggest you ask them as opposed to assuming it's standard.
No disrespect but your head is up your ***...kinda sounds the same.

Bean is right especially when it comes to 6". Need to specify sch 40 with 6". Otherwise dimensions are not the same. Harrington for example does not carry standard size 6" sch 40. If it says sch 40 on it, it meets the dimensional and the pressure standards.
Old 01/16/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm sure with standard 40 the fittings would be the same, otherwise therewould be no point in the standard.

I found when I was looking for clear PVC that there was a lot available that was of varying thickness and much did not fit with standard fittings.

My only advice is to check before you buy it, it's not like regular PVC, there seems to be more variety in it. I measured my clear PVC and it's about .67, not standard at all.

It is cheaper than acrylic though, and by a fair margin, or at least it's available from several shops around me at a much lower price than acrylic.
Old 01/16/2007, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
BeanAnimal,

What? You say no disrespect, and no wish to argue, yet in the same sentance you argue and show disrespect. Now I remember why I had you on my ignore list for all this time.

Propounding falsities?

JOtca.. You said that the clear PVC pipe will not fit standard PVC pipe fittings.

In hopes of helping the OP, I replied that CLEAR PVC that comes in nominal PVC pipe sizes will certainly fit standard PVC pipe fittings.

I said that SOME CLEAR PVC is not made to fit standard PVC pipe fittings and gave examples (ASM skimmer), even though that kind of pipe is not readily sold to "end users". Falsities?

http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/ Notice that it is SCH 40 pipe.
http://www.usplastic.com/pdfdatafile...eet10-2004.pdf

Here is a quote from the PDF above:
Quote:
DIMENSIONS:
PVC Clear Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 pipe shall be manufactured in strict accordance with the dimensional requirements of
ASTM D1785 to schedule 40 or schedule 80 dimensions and tolerances as applicable. All PVC Clear pipe shall meet the minimum
burst pressure requirements and water pressure rating requirements of PVC Type II, Grade I, established for PVC 2110 as defined
in ASTM D1785. Each production run of pipe shall also meet or exceed the test requirements for materials, workmanship,
flattening, and extrusion quality defined in ASTM D1785. All belled-end pipe shall have tapered sockets to create an interferencetype
fit, which meet or exceed the dimensional requirements and the minimum socket length for pressure-type sockets as
defined in ASTM D2672.
IF that is not enough:

http://www.harvel.com/piping-clear-pvc.asp Plase note the dimensions here JOtca. Notice Schedule 40 and 80 both have the standard IPS O.D.

http://www.savko.com/portal/clearpvc.asp and please note that this pipe is also standard sch 40 (again OD is that of the nominal IPS size).

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../7010/cid/1859 And here notice that is it also fully compatable with standard PVC fittings sir, again schedule 40 or 80.

http://www.ryanherco.com/Auto/price....RP=170&CAT=010 and here notice again that the pipe is SCH 40

http://www.excaliburextrusions.com/Clear_PVC.htm and another company that has SCH 40 clear PVC.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/...C-Pipe---Clear and yet one more that is IPS comaptable.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/pvcpipe.php more schedule 40 pipe.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...exid=pf-clp-pp and more.

Shall we go look at that ASTM D1785 standard JOtca? Where am I propounding falsities? What is Schedule 40 Pipe? What is Schedule 80 pipe? They both fit the same fittings. They are both part of a standard. Any "pipe" that is made to conform to that standard will fit those fittings. The OUTSIDE diameters match IPS diameters. End of story.

So that we are 100% clear. MOST CLEAR PVC "PIPE" you will find is IPS compatable. That means it will fit STANDARD PVC FITTINGS. Because "STANDRD PVC FITTINGS" work with both Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 pipe (again JOtca they both have the same Outside Diameter as outlined in ASTM D1785) they will work with ANY of the PVC listed above.

You will be hard pressed to find CLEAR PVC PIPE that is non standard. Of course it is made. It is sold for specialty use or contract use in things like ASM skimmers, store fixtures, etc. Actually I searched AT LENGTH to find non standard CLEAR PVC PIPE or TUBING and was not able to find any for direct sale. I found several companies that would produce ANY I.D. for a contract price.

I can find Stainless Steel, Galvanized, Clay, Copper, Acrylic, Vinyl, Glass and other tubing or pipe that does not fit the standard as well.

You mentioned that you did not want to argue. Armed with the information above, you can rest assured that there is now nothing to argue about.

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 01/16/2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01/16/2007, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure with standard 40 the fittings would be the same, otherwise therewould be no point in the standard.

I found when I was looking for clear PVC that there was a lot available that was of varying thickness and much did not fit with standard fittings.

My only advice is to check before you buy it, it's not like regular PVC, there seems to be more variety in it. I measured my clear PVC and it's about .67, not standard at all.

It is cheaper than acrylic though, and by a fair margin, or at least it's available from several shops around me at a much lower price than acrylic.
The thickness is rather irrelavant. The O.D. is what matters. As I have already shown, most of the readily available clear PVC pipe follows standard IPS outside diameters.

With regard to Cost...

CLEAR PVC PIPE is not cheaper than CAST ACRYLIC once you reach the 4"-6" or so mark. As the diameter increases, so does the price gap. Large diameter clear PVC is much more expensive than the Cast Acrylic product.

A look at the links above will will give you an idea of the pricing.

The nice part is the fact that the 4" and 6" pvc is readily available and DOES FIT standard fittings. It can make fabrication very easy for those who do not have the skills to tool PVC flanges and fittings.

Bean