Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2004, 11:50 PM
Moved On

bluedamsel aggressive??

which is more agressive a female bluedamsel or a male bluedamsel ( also known as ornge tailbluedamsel)

what if i keep 2 females 1 male
Old 07/27/2004, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

A 55 gallon tank and you want to put 3 damsels in there!?!?

Personally, I would pick out 4-5 of the "must have" fishs you want and just stick w/ those...unless you must have those 3 damsels...

I believe all damsels are aggressive, they might not show it but when they age a bit more, any new addition will be harrassed.
Old 07/27/2004, 12:16 AM
Moved On

that is why i said more agressive...
( also when i get new fish i put my damsals in a different tank till new ones get settled in)(i lost a clow fish to damsals ripped him apart.) i got another clown and put damsals in diffrerent tank and he is doing great
I know i may be overdoing it but i have 2 female blue damsals 1 2striped chomis 1 ocelaris

and would like to get 2-3 purple fire fish 1 manderin 1 yellowheaded jaw fish. and mabey 1-3 more ocelaris.and 1 breeding pair black mollys

i MAY be getting a 55 gallon fuge in the near future its my old freshwater and is right behind my salt. fuge would house a few inverts and stuff ... it would be a nicely kept fuge none of algae that grows like a weed( i will have a 10 gallon fuge for that)
Old 07/27/2004, 12:29 AM
Moved On

also mabey 2-4 cardinals
Old 07/27/2004, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

No two individuals are alike so it doesn't really matter what I tell you about which is more aggressive. I had a Fiji Devil Damsel that was the model citizen while my cousin's is truly a devil...
Old 07/27/2004, 01:23 AM
Fragaholic

hmmm...

Don't know if this is a troll so I'll just say that sounds like about 3 times as many fish as I'd consider. Plan for adult size, blah, blah...-Jim
Old 07/27/2004, 12:07 PM
College Grad

yeah, if this is not a troll, you might seriously want to reconsider your stocking list...
Old 07/27/2004, 12:53 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

What's a troll?
Old 07/27/2004, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

boognish arrrrggggggggggggghggggggghghghhghghghghg pushin brown 2004
Old 07/27/2004, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

A troll is a post made by someone who just wants to stir up things by asking "inflammatory" questions. So bookfish and speccial922 are suggesting that it's possible the post was just meant to get people riled up about overstocking--but since they can't be sure they are addressing the issue, anyway. :-) "Troll" is a term used on most disucssion boards.

(Okay, I know nothing about fish, but I can answer that question! Makes me feel useful for a second.)
Old 07/27/2004, 04:10 PM
Moved On

... i was thinking about selling fish once they become there adault size mabey ill set up a seperate tank for my damnsals ( 12 gallon should house 2 blues and a 2 strip) but since the fish that i wanna keep seem to live on differnt levels i dont think it would be over stocking ( manderin stays on bottom goby stayts on bottom jaw fish stays on bottom cardinals midleval and then fire fish mid leval
Old 07/27/2004, 04:12 PM
Moved On

based on the type of fish i seem to like what would you think i should get... and for my list how big of tank would i need according to your stocking level rules.....

I could always just remove certin fish if they become a problem ( my clownfish is more agressive then my damsels)
Old 07/27/2004, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nitroxdiver009
based on the type of fish i seem to like what would you think i should get... and for my list how big of tank would i need according to your stocking level rules.....

I could always just remove certin fish if they become a problem ( my clownfish is more agressive then my damsels)
Just out of curiosity but do you bother to read the responses?
Old 07/27/2004, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Mommy always said if you have nothing nice to says don't say it. So There I won't say anything.
Old 07/27/2004, 05:24 PM
College Grad

putting a mandarin or firefish in a tank with numerous damsels is not a good idea. can it be done... probly, but both mandarins and firefish are extremely timid fish and will most definatly be harrassed (the mandarin would probly hide all of the time and the firefish would do the same and likely starve)
Old 07/27/2004, 06:54 PM
Go Sooners!

THey don't call them blue devils for nothing. Luntiz is right, no two individuals are alike. I have a 4 striped damsel thats a complete wuss. Had him since February and never bothered a single soul.
Old 07/27/2004, 08:42 PM
Moved On

ok so i should get ridof the danmsals and stick them in my oter tank (just finished doing that) and what about the rest of the stocking list???

and jennkerry , luntiz i know what you mean out of the 2 danmsals i have 1 is a wuss while the other. well isnt agressive just defends his teritory. while the wussy one is like " oh hi clownfish you wanna be here" and then moves away
Old 07/27/2004, 09:41 PM
Fragaholic

Talking planning is the key

Now, having said that, I'm the first to admit that I've killed a lot of creatures and spent a lot of money to learn this simple lesson.
I appreciate the fact that you're asking for advice and this is the right place to do it.
I think the best looking fish displays I've seen are the ones that are lightly stocked with compatible fish that are left to grow for a few years. The colors of adult fish that are comfortable in their environment cannot be beat.
If it's a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank you want as a final display then I'd say a pair of cardinals, and a pair of clowns and something to eat algae (please get a blenny for that size tank, not a tang). It's important to lightly stock the tank for reasons beyond just the sanity of the fish. The dissolved oxygen level in a tank during a power outage or pump failure can drop fast if there's either a lot of fish or a lot of waste in the tank.
If you're planning to eventually use this as a reef you could stock at about half that level or less. -Jim